Author Topic: Save Midi with channel off and Lead Inst.  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Bernie9

Save Midi with channel off and Lead Inst.
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
I can't figure out how to save an SMF,melody off,with lead instruments from the SX900.  I can do all individually,but how to save it as is. I want to sing and play over it.

Bernie

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Save Midi with channel off and Lead Inst.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
I can't figure out how to save an SMF,melody off,with lead instruments from the SX900.  I can do all individually,but how to save it as is. I want to sing and play over it.

It’s easy to do with a registration, so that be an option for you.

But as to a midi file, doesn’t setting the volume to zero do what you want?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:30 PM »
Fred’s suggestion about zeroing the volume is how I’d always done it in the past
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, PSR SX900, 1987 Strat+

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:30:21 PM »

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

you can switch off the desired Channel(s) in the Mixer display (Song tab) by touching their Channel name(s).

The made setting is automatically stored in a Registration if the "MIDI Song" item is checked when memorizing your Panel settings to a certain Registration memory button.  If you want to memorize the Keyboard voice settings to a Reg as well, be sure to have checked "Voice" and "Keyboard Harmony/Arpeggio" items. (Finally you have to save the Registration Bank as a file, of course.)

Note: The Channel "Off" status can NOT be saved directly to a MIDI file. If you do not want to use Registrations (as mentioned before), the only way is to set the desired Channel Volumes (Ctrl. #7) to zero and save this to the MIDI file:

• First call up "MIDI Multi Recording" and call up your MIDI file, if needed. (Press "Exit" to come back to "MIDI Multi Recording".)
• Then touch the "Menu" icon and call up the "Mixer" display go to "Song" tab and make the desired (Volume) settings.
• Press "Exit" button to come back to "MIDI Multi Recording". Here press "Song STOP" button to set the MIDI file to the beginning.
• Touch "Setup" icon, make sure that all items in the first two rows are checked (Voice to Tempo), touch "Execute" and then "Exit".
• Finally touch "Save" to save the MIDI file. (I recommend to type in a new file name.)

Note: IF you want to save also the Keyboard Voice settings to the MIDI file (so that the voices of Right 1 - 3 and Left are changed when loading the MIDI file), you have to check also the item "Keyboard Voice" in the "Setup" window. But if you want to use Registrations to set up your Keyboard voices, do NOT check this item in the "Setup" window when (re-)saving a MIDI file!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:35:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Thanks very much to all.  I see I have choices here,and looks like the registration route is fine.  I had the midi the way I wanted,but didn't know how to save it.  I pressed the reg/bank buttons to save as a registration,but it took me to the reg banks and I had to press Player to get back to the midi.  I shall follow the instructions and see how it goes.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
Hi Bernie,

please note that you cannot save changes of a MIDI file (other than the Channel OFF status)  to Registrations. So if you want to change channel voices, channel volumes or effect settings in a MIDI file, you MUST save this directly to the MIDI file (in MIDI Multi Recording > press Song STOP > Setup > Execute > Exit > Save).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:53:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Janus

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
A better way is to make a midi setup with the melodie channel off
It is a global setting no need to edit all your performents or midi file recordings
I Did made 8 setups like no drum no bass or no acc
If i want the normal setting i chose the all track setup

Gr.Jan

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 02:28:51 PM »
That is good to know.  I will only need the channel off saved on the midi. The global setup is interesting,but the melody isn't always on ch 4,hence needing multiple setups.  I will try again this morning.
Thanks
Bernie

Janus

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
That is good to know.  I will only need the channel off saved on the midi. The global setup is interesting,but the melody isn't always on ch 4,hence needing multiple setups.  I will try again this morning.
Thanks
Bernie

All pro midi files has channel 4 as  melodie channel
Yamaha keyboard recorded songs has channel one as melodie
Make 2 midi setups one for pro midi files and one for yamaha recorded keyboard songs
Or replace the melodie track  only channel 1or channel 4

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
It is true,but I have hundreds of files I have picked up in the last 55 years,in which many are otherwise. Some have 4 and 8,for example,others ch 1. I have been gigging for so long I forgot where some came from.  Most are Tune 1000 and that would be fine.

Thank you for your feedback

Anyway,all is well

chris-59

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 11:00:53 PM »
hello everyone,
I found out that with multi recording and after executing (checkmark Score Setting) and saving your midifile with the right "play setting" -> right off,  from the screen "Score", you can actually turn off the channel for the right hand.  This is convenient making a Songlist together with the right Keyboard Voice and without the leadvoice from the midifile.
kind regards,
Chris-59
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:02:54 PM by chris-59 »

Janus

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »
The best is to make a midi setup with the midi melodie track of
it is  a global setup voor all songs
you can leave the melodie tracks on in the midi files
only select the midi setup when you want to sing along with the midi files
Gr.Jan