Author Topic: my 770 wont shut off  (Read 10183 times)

Offline chuckeys123

my 770 wont shut off
« on: May 25, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
Has anyone encountered the problem that their psr 770 wont shut off? It turns on fine, but it wont turn off by pushing the button. Of course if I unplug it it goes off. Plug back in and its still off until you push the on button. Was wondering if there was a parameter setting that causes this, or is it just broken. Thanks in advance

Aulis

Re: my 770 wont shut off
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »
I have the same thing with my S770, it won't shut off, even if I press and hold the On/off several minutes. I usually leave it on and let the 30 min. inbuilt timer turn the KB off, or I use the masterswitch on the power strip.
But I really like to know what's causing this malfunction, is it a setting I've changed by mistake or a software bug?

All the best
Aulis Gårdemark

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
I have the same problem since last winter with my s750.
I don't think it is got to do with the settings or a malfunction of the software.
I have tried full reset and didn't work anyway.

Probably it is a button malfunction from dust,overuse etc.
I have no idea of electronics and why it might be a different electrical connection to turn it on and a different one to turn it off using the same button.
A connection for turning off, which is apparently "broken" and don't give any signal to the keyboard.
So I am also using the auto shut down option.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:44:42 PM »
Same problem with my PSR S950 for some time.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:13:40 AM »
Change the Auto turn off to 5 Mins,
That way you don't have to wait for 30 mins.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
I had the same problem with my Genos.
For me the problem was a specific 3.0 USB stick from a certain brand in combination with the USBVGA adapter for my external monitor.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
The problem is a lousy design on the switch, which is a carbon contact switch just like the keypads. I had a technician take mine apart and he cleaned the contacts with a Q-tip, but the repair only lasted a couple days before the contacts carboned up again. I'm now looking into a replacement switch that is a positive latching switch that does not incur these problems. When I find one, I'll post the information.

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Musik-Mary

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
Hallo zusammen,

ich hatte das gleiche Problem mit meiner 770, es lag tatsächlich an diesem 3.0 Stick. Jetzt klappt es zwar besser als vorher aber immer noch richtig. Habe meinen Timer auf 5 Min gestellt und gut ist.

Mary

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
Hello
I have the same problem with my s970. :-[
It is strange that I have no problem with power on. Both of them use a same button!!!! ??? ON& OFF
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:54:56 AM by rezaazadi1361 »

Offline Taffinator

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Same problem with my S970 for the last year or so - no problems turning it on.
Has anyone contacted Yamaha [do I hear laughter!]?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »
Yamaha Service guys are there ready to help as always.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
Always call up the main screen before shutting off the unit. I suppose you have tried a soft reset by holding down the rightmost white key while powering on the keyboard?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 08:13:17 PM »
Always call up the main screen before shutting off the unit. I suppose you have tried a soft reset by holding down the rightmost white key while powering on the keyboard?
Yes, I did, but the problem is still there. I even emailed Yamaha, but they didn't reply yet. Of course, they sent a message that we will check as soon as possible.

Offline jeep4446

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 05:45:30 AM »
Hold Down the shut off button for about 10-20 seconds , it may be in record mode  !!

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

PSR - Tante

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
Guten Tag,

auch mir geht es so, dass mein Keyboard nicht abschaltet. ( PSR S 770 )
Alle die hier genannten Hilfen probierte ich aus. Es ändert sich leider garnichts.
Ich versuchte mehrere Rests sowie nach Neueinstellung des Keyboardes ein aktuelles Backup, in der vagen Hoffnung, dass sich das Keyboard ausschalten lässt.
Auch wechselte ich den USB-Stick in 2.0  mit 16 GB. ( vorher 3.0 mit 64GB )

Vielleicht haben Sie noch einen Gedanken der mir helfen kann und teilen diesen mit?

Vielen Dank, Inga

Translation by Roger Brenizer (Please post in English, as we are an English speaking forum):

Hello,

I also feel that my keyboard does not switch off. (PSR S 770)
I tried all of the aids mentioned here. Unfortunately, nothing changes.
I tried several remainders as well as a current backup after the keyboard was reset, in the vague hope that the keyboard could be switched off.
I also changed the USB stick to 2.0 with 16 GB. (previously 3.0 with 64GB)

Perhaps you still have a thought that can help me and share it with you?

Thank you, Inga
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:46:36 PM by Roger Brenizer »

PSR - Tante

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Einen guten Tag für Sie,

nachdem ich Techniker befragte erhielt ich die Auskunft, dass das Problem am Signal vom Ausschaltknopf zum Ausschaltkontakt liegt. Das Signal wird nicht weiter gegeben, deshalb ist das Instrument nicht per Hand ausschaltbar. Umgekehrt ist das Signal in Ordung und auch die Automatik ist davon nicht betroffen. Bleibt wohl nur, dass die Automatik individuell eingeschaltet werden muss.

Volle USER-Speicher oder größere USB-Sticks sind unerheblich.

Freundliche Grüße, Inga.

Translation by Roger Brenizer (Please post in English, as we are an English speaking forum):

Good day for you,

after I asked the technician, I received the information that the problem is with the signal from the switch-off button to the switch-off contact. The signal is not passed on, so the instrument cannot be switched off manually. Conversely, the signal is OK and the automatic system is not affected either. The only thing left is that the automatic system has to be switched on individually.

Full USER memories or larger USB sticks are irrelevant.

Kind regards, Inga.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:48:12 PM by Roger Brenizer »

The following users thanked this post: Fred Smith

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 06:20:52 PM »
nachdem ich Techniker befragte erhielt ich die Auskunft, dass das Problem am Signal vom Ausschaltknopf zum Ausschaltkontakt liegt. Das Signal wird nicht weiter gegeben, deshalb ist das Instrument nicht per Hand ausschaltbar. Umgekehrt ist das Signal in Ordung und auch die Automatik ist davon nicht betroffen. Bleibt wohl nur, dass die Automatik individuell eingeschaltet werden muss.

Volle USER-Speicher oder größere USB-Sticks sind unerheblich.

Freundliche Grüße, Inga.

Inga,

Posting in German won't help. This is an English forum. Just use Google translate to get your message through.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
I just got my S950 On/Off switch replaced, however, the mother board also went south, so total repair cost was just over $200 including parts and labor. I'm now a happy camper again!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
I just got my S950 On/Off switch replaced, however, the mother board also went south, so total repair cost was just over $200 including parts and labor. I'm now a happy camper again!

Gary 8)
Is possible to replace it at home?

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
Only if  you have a great deal of electro-mechanical skill.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline overover

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 03:49:49 PM »
Is possible to replace it at home?

Hi rezaazadi,

you can download the S970 Service Manual here:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/ServiceManuals.html

Please read at least pages 12-16 ("Disassambling Procedure").

The "Power On/Off Control" circuit is located on the "AJACK" circuit board. The wiring details of this circuit can be found at the bottom left of page 105.

The Power Switch is located on the "PNM" circuit board (wiring details on the top left of page 106).

As you will see, just opening the case is relatively complex. You should only replace internal components or circuit boards yourself if you have the appropriate experience and sufficient knowledge of electronics.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 03:48:36 AM »
In order to access the board that holds the ON/OFF switch, you most disassemble much of the entire keyboard. I watched the tech do this at the repair shop and it took an hour just to get to that board - and he is probably the most experienced Yamaha tech that I know of in this part of the world.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »
Hi rezaazadi,

you can download the S970 Service Manual here:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/ServiceManuals.html

Please read at least pages 12-16 ("Disassambling Procedure").

The "Power On/Off Control" circuit is located on the "AJACK" circuit board. The wiring details of this circuit can be found at the bottom left of page 105.

The Power Switch is located on the "PNM" circuit board (wiring details on the top left of page 106).

As you will see, just opening the case is relatively complex. You should only replace internal components or circuit boards yourself if you have the appropriate experience and sufficient knowledge of electronics.

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you Chris. With your guidance, I was able to completely disassemble the Ajack and just clean the board (problem was not solved). It is difficult to repair

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
Hi, rezaazadi,

thanks for your detailed feedback!

P.S.
If not already done so, you could contact Yamaha Support to determine whether the problem possibly could be caused by a Software error. If this is answered in the affirmative by Yamaha, you could do a Full Factory reset, including a complete deletion of all internal Flash memory areas ("Force Format Mode"), and then reinstall the current Firmware (V1.06) on your S970.

For information about the internal Test Program (which is required to perform this Full Factory Reset), please refer to pages 39 and 49 in the S970 Service Manual.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:58:47 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 12:08:29 AM »
Finally, I found the problem and solve it. The problem was with the contact rubber under the button (power key), that i replaced it with new one. Now it works properly and turn of easily (1-2 sec).

Offline overover

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 12:35:19 AM »
Finally, I found the problem and solve it. The problem was with the contact rubber under the button (power key), that i replaced it with new one. Now it works properly and turn of easily (1-2 sec).

Hi rezaazadi,

thank you for your feedback!

I am very happy that you found the problem and were able to repair your S970!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2020, 12:55:21 AM »
 So am I :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline rezaazadi1361

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
Thanks for your comments and tips 😊

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2023, 08:13:57 PM »

I have the same issue with my PSR 970. Where did you find the replacement 'contact rubber'?  Is there like part number? Some description?

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline NICK.VZ

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
Hi.I have just purchased the part number 11453 power switch cap, available from SYNTAUR.COM. it costs about 4 dollars us. plus freight. NICK.VZ.

The following users thanked this post: overover