Author Topic: Songbook+ Question  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Rick D.

Songbook+ Question
« on: May 24, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »
Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you are using Songbook+ with iPads. My question is.  Is it possible to export the contents of Songbook+ on one iPad to another iPad. I would like to have an exact copy for a backup in case something happens to one of the iPads.

Thanks,

Rick D.

Offline Al Ram

Re: Songbook+ Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:09:29 AM »
Rick
I don't think you need 2 iPads to accomplish what you want (unless you want to - of course).

The way i back everything in my -single- iPad including Songbook+ is using the iPad function backup to iCloud.   Using this iPad function everything on the iPad is copied to iCloud and available when needed.

My old iPad broke down. Could not access it anymore or fix it . . . . had to replace with a new one . .  .. bringing the contents from the old iPad into the new iPad was a piece of cake . . .. within minutes the new iPad was a clone of the old iPad . . . everything just the same in the new iPad (including SongBook+).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »
Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you are using Songbook+ with iPads. My question is.  Is it possible to export the contents of Songbook+ on one iPad to another iPad. I would like to have an exact copy for a backup in case something happens to one of the iPads.

Thanks,

Rick D.

To answer your question, yes it is possible. You can do it either through iTunes, or just use File Explorer.

But the iCloud backup is a better idea.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pino

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:29:17 AM »
When my first 12.9" iPad Pro stoped working and apple couldn’t repair it as the iPad is a sealed unit and it can not be opened, they admitted it was a hardware problem, it was one month over the warranty so they could not help me in any way other than to offer me a ‘refurbished’ unit at 70% of the cost of a new one, I didn’t have much of a choice so I had to buy a new 12.9" pro again.

I had backed up all my data to iCloud, the store offered to get the new unit up and running with all my old data but when I looked for SongBook+ files none were available, it took me months to get SongBook back to where I wanted it.

I backup up my iPad on a regular bases but even with the new iPad I can not see any files for Songbook, I see files for every other app that I have but not for songbook, even if I go to settings/iCloud/apps I can see all my apps but not SongBook,

Is there any part of Songbook that I have to ‘check’ so Songbook will save to iCloud or is it that SongBook will not backup to iCloud? Just curious.

Pino

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »
I don’t use iCloud, so can’t help you there.

I just use the "Share folder via wi-fI" setting, and copy the files using File Explorer.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
Thanks, Fred and Al,

I will give both of those methods a try.

Pino, I believe backing up to iCloud is a function of the iPad and not Songbook+.

Thanks again,

Rick D.

Offline AndyT

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Hi,

When I was looking at Songbook+ I hit a bug in their database. From memory there are 3 DB/index files that you can copy to the PC. I use the free version of SyncIOS, navigate to the APP, then you can copy the files without needing cloud etc. It is also good if you want a backup at a certain time point. You should be able to copy that to any other tablets, but not tried it. The DB/index is just a list of compressed pointers so it should work.

Hope this helps

- Andy

Pino

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »
Rick D

You did not read my post.

I backup up my iPad on a regular bases but even with the new iPad I can not see any files for Songbook, I see files for every other app that I have but not for songbook, even if I go to settings/iCloud/apps I can see all my apps but not SongBook,

Pino

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »
Pino,

Sorry it was at 5:30 AM, I was still asleep.
When I load mine up to iCloud, I will let you know if I can see them.

Rick D.

Pino

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks Rick

Offline AndyT

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
These are the 3 files that contain the Songbook+ Database. You should see these in addition to any of your other files.
If you lose these you will lose a lot of settings, links etc. even if you have the original music. Copying the music on/off/up to the cloud etc is really easy, but the database is where a lot of the work goes. I would check those :)

Hope this is useful....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »
Andy,

I checked and my backup does contain those files, so I should be ok.

Thanks,

Rick D.