Author Topic: Controlling PSR970 with an 88 key keyboard or midi controller  (Read 2204 times)

ralfaro613

Hi folks, I'm in need of some advice.  I currently have a Yamaha psr970 arranger but I would like to play it using 88 keys if possible. I was thinking of purchasing either the Yamaha p515, DGX660, or an inexpensive 88 key controller.

Will this work for my purposes? I'm thinking it would just be amateer of connecting the 88 key instrument to the psr970 via midi. Is it really that simple or is it more involved?

In comparing the 2 Yamaha boards I mentioned above, I noticed that the DGX has no midi out but it does have usb where the p515 does have an actual midi out din. Will the usb port on the DGX work the same way as the midi out on the p515 or are there some differences I need to be aware of? Would a simple 88 key controller be sufficient?

Basically all I wat to be able to do is set up the pSR970 with the style and voices I want but play on the 88 key board instead of the 61 key keyboard of the PSR. Any advice with this much appreciated. I think I'm leaning to  the P515 but not sure just yet. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Rick alfaro

Offline s_cristi

Re: Controlling PSR970 with an 88 key keyboard or midi controller
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »
I am also looking into this and it is pretty sad that this question remains unanswered until now.
@Rick did you find anything about it?
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »

I had a Casio Privia + S975 so connected. You need to set the midi channels appropriately.
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
You can of course control the arranger from either a controller or a digital piano, as long as they have a mdi connection. Most stage pianos or controller keyboards will have this, but some of the low cost digital pianos, or pianos made as substitutes for acoustic pianos may not. The DGX may not be a good choice. So check that they have. The controller will use the SX voices, but if you choose to use a digital stage piano, then you may also get a superior piano voice, and in that case you may want to use the piano voice while controlling the SX functions. That is also possible but a little more complicated set up.
There is an article on this if you go to this link https://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/cp33.html   
You will like this set up a lot if you are a piano player, 88 keys, and better keyboard feel. It provides seamless control of the arranger and almost duplicates a clavinova but at much less cost. The Audio controller for example works great for about $200. Just remember that you already have lots of functionality on the Sx and lots of voices, so don't be seduced by more of these on a digital piano or controller. And probably no need to buy a very expensive controller that taps into lots functionality you can't or won't use like aftertouch if that doesn't exist on the arranger anyway.
mike
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:09:32 PM »
The previous post should have said Maudio 88 key controller - damned autocorrect!!
Mike

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your responses!

The only thing I have to decide now is if I need portability like Studiologic SL73 or
the "Full" experience like M-audio 88 Pro.

Cheers!
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)