Author Topic: Any Genos users here Got Korg PA4x connected thru Aux in  (Read 4388 times)

Offline shadowhankron

Hi as my Subject matter says Got My Korg PA4X connected thru to Genos Aux in......works reasonably well,
But here is my Request from other Korg Users..what MAXX settings  on the Korg PA4X  are you using to get a Decent Sound, without being too Thinny or Bassy...The Genos Sounds Great  but would Like to use Styles  on the Korg with the Genos..and enjoy an equal sound Balance and Tone from Both Boards.

Thanks for reading,  and keep SAFE where ever you live.

Ronnie
 :D :D
Genos 1 Keyboard / PSR S 970 /  Korg PA4X  keyboard /  Yamaha HS 7 Studio Monitors  / Motif Rack XS /
Roland Integra 7 /,Fender  Strat & Telecaster & Burns Marvin White Guitar, Tascam DP 32 track Recorder.

Offline shadowhankron

Re: Any Genos users here Got Korg PA4x connected thru Aux in
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:06:19 PM »
Hi,. Can anybody here that has a Geno's and Korg PA4x keyboards  help me with my request Please.

Ronnie
Genos 1 Keyboard / PSR S 970 /  Korg PA4X  keyboard /  Yamaha HS 7 Studio Monitors  / Motif Rack XS /
Roland Integra 7 /,Fender  Strat & Telecaster & Burns Marvin White Guitar, Tascam DP 32 track Recorder.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »
For Korg info I should try there forum.

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:26 AM »
I would say, use your ears, till you are happy with the results..

There is no such things as standard settings, everyones hearing is a little different

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
... Got My Korg PA4X connected thru to Genos Aux in......works reasonably well,
But here is my Request from other Korg Users..what MAXX settings  on the Korg PA4X  are you using to get a Decent Sound, without being too Thinny or Bassy...The Genos Sounds Great  but would Like to use Styles  on the Korg with the Genos..and enjoy an equal sound Balance and Tone from Both Boards. ...

Hi Ronnie,

I don't know very well about Korg keyboards. But I just checked the Pa4X manual. ;)

Since the AUX IN of the Genos does NOT go through the Master Compressor and Master EQ, you always have to adjust the master sound of the Pa4X separately if you adjust the Master Compressor and / or Master EQ on the Genos.

I would begin with the MAXX preset "Audio Output / Headphones Preset on the Pa4X. This is a quasi " linear"setting, so to speak, without being influenced by the MAXX mastering effects.

If the sound of the Pa4X (over the Genos AUX IN) does not "fit" yet, I would use the "Maxx Master EQ" (a fully parametric EQ with 7 bands) to match the Pa4X sound to the overall Genos sound.

If necessary, I would also use "MaxxVolume" to slightly compress the Pa4X signal.

I hope my instructions will help you a little!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:23:22 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Genos!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Hi as my Subject matter says Got My Korg PA4X connected thru to Genos Aux in......works reasonably well,
But here is my Request from other Korg Users..what MAXX settings  on the Korg PA4X...

You have a lot of kit. Why aren't you using it? And why run audio into a unbalanced system?

"Genos / PSR S 970 /  Korg PA4X /  Yamaha HS 7 Studio Monitors  / Motif Rack XS /
Roland Integra 7 /,Fender  Strat & Telecaster & Burns Marvin White Guitar, Tascam DP 32 track Recorder."

The Genos is equivalent to 2 boards. The Integra-7 has Roland surround RSS outputs. Your Tascam has 32 mono/16 stereo outputs. I would never run my Roland / Korg / Casio keyboards into the aux of another keyboard for any reason. Especially when the output is not balanced, as is the case with the Genos.

I have to ask the question... "What are you trying to do, and what is your reasoning behind it?".

I am totally missing the point.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
I agree - unless you want to use the internal speakers of a keyboard, ( which Genos doesn’t have) it makes no sense. Take it straight to your sound system  through a small mixer. They are dead cheap.
From a wider POV I must say I never saw much value in two similar linked arrangers. You have to deal with two totally different systems in real time and any upside is small since they are 90% the same thing.
Mike

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
Hi Genos

Thanks for Reply....yes as You say I have a lot of Gear....but most in put away  not used...I only use the Korg PA4x and Genos thru Yamaha HS7 Speakers to not have wires all over the room.

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »

Eileen and Bachus

Thanks for your Replies

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 03:56:56 PM »
overover

not sure what you mean...I would begin with the MAXX preset "Audio Output / Headphones Preset on the Pa4X. This is a quasi " linear"setting, so to speak, without being influenced by the MAXX mastering effects.

But you seem very professional with knowledge of Sound

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »

mikf

what mixer (Small)  would you suggest &  Thanks

Ronnie

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »
overover

not sure what you mean...I would begin with the MAXX preset "Audio Output / Headphones Preset on the Pa4X. This is a quasi " linear"setting, so to speak, without being influenced by the MAXX mastering effects. ...

Hi Ronnie,

please refer to the chapter "Programming the Maxx Mastering Effects" in in the Pa4X User Manual (V3.1), starting with page 520.

There you will find these instructions ...

1  Go to the Global > MAXX Master EQ > Default Preset page.
2  Use the pop-up menu on top of the page to choose a MAXX Preset.

And as mentioned above, I recommend to choose the Preset "Audio Output / Headphones" here (NOT "Amplification System Preset"!).

If you are not satisfied with this default setting, you can make a custom setting in Maxx Master EQ and eventually (slightly) use the "MaxxVolume" feature, as said before.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »
Ronnie
There are many small simple stereo mixers around like the 4 channel Behringer MX400 for around $20 - $30 US, which will do what you need. Very simple, just a separate volume control on each channel. You dont need fancy mixing desks with its of sound control, since each keyboard already has that built in.
Just make sure the mixer is stereo, as both keyboards are stereo outputs. Plug the mixer output into your into your pa system input (you will need that additional lead)  and then plug each keyboard into one of the channels. Ridiculous as it sounds, nowadays the stereo jack to jack stereo leads might cost more than the mixer, but you probably only need a short one. 
Of course, if your external pa system already has multiple inputs then you don't even need a mixer, just plug each keyboard straight in, but I am assuming that is not the case.
Mike

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 03:10:04 PM »
Hi overover

Thanks for detailed information, I will try look into those settings
Again thanks

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Mikf

Thanks for helping out, will look up that mixer....but would rather just play thru the Geno's less connections etc...again your thoughts are appreciated.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:12:59 PM by shadowhankron »

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »

mikf

what mixer (Small)  would you suggest &  Thanks

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

for what purpose do you want to use a Mixer? Just to connect the two keyboards to your Yamaha HS7 at the same time?

Or do you want a Mixer that you can also use for Recordings? Then a mixer with an integrated USB Audio Interface and possibly integrated Effects could be considered.

In MY opinion, the Mixer recommended by Mike is not necessary in your case. If, as you originally said, you connect the Pa4X to the AUX IN of the Genos, you will achieve exactly the same thing (namely mix the two signals together). You can adjust the volume of the Pa4X using its master volume and / or the AUX IN volume control on the Genos. You would have to make the sound settings directly on the Pa4X internally anyway, since this Mixer has no tone control.

The overall signal can only be as good as the weakest link in the signal chain. So if you ask ME: I would NOT put a $30 "volume only" Mixer between professional keyboards and professional studio monitor speakers.

The Genos has high-quality 32-bit digital/analog converters (DAC) in the Main Outputs, which can deliver a very high dynamic range. All other converters are 24-bit, including the analog/digital converters (ADC) of the AUX IN. The Pa4X also has high-quality Audio Outputs (which, in contrast to the Genos, are even balanced).

IF you interpose a Mixer, this device should be of the highest quality possible, at least eg a Yamaha MG10.

I have NOT yet tested the Behringer "MX400" proposed by Mike. But I have already worked with a large number of Behringer devices, and unfortunately I have to say that most of them do NOT provide usable Audio quality. Almost all of the Behringer devices I know have a relatively high signal noise and have a relatively small "headroom", so that distortions can quickly occur. In my opinion, you really have to be "lucky" if you can work with a certain Behringer device even "reasonably" well.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:30:52 PM by overover »

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 06:36:13 PM »
Hi Chris

I was not looking for a mixer  it was just   mikf   suggested one for me/

My simple set up as space permitting....two tier stand with   Korg PA4X  / Genos    keyboa
rd  and Yamaha HS7 Speakers.

Thanks for trying to help out.

Ronnie

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »
Hi Chris

I was not looking for a mixer  it was just   mikf   suggested one for me/

My simple set up as space permitting....two tier stand with   Korg PA4X  / Genos    keyboa
rd  and Yamaha HS7 Speakers.

Thanks for trying to help out.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

thanks for clarification! :)

In this case, as I said, it is sufficient in my opinion to connect the Outputs (Left/Right) of the Pa4X to the AUX IN jacks of the Genos. It is important that you do NOT use TRS cables (balanced) here, but TS cables (unbalanced, with Mono jack plugs on both ends).

For the connection of the Genos to the HS7 Speakers you also have to use TS cables (unbalanced), because the Genos only has unbalanced Outputs.

(Using the XLR Inputs on the HS7 does NOT help in this case, because the 6.3 mm jack sockets on the HS7 are internally connected in parallel with the XLR sockets anyway.)

Best regards,
Chris

Murat

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
I have connected my Genos into Kogn Pa3x76 out to in, I didn't really have to change any settings on the Korg as at all. I am happy with the sound. Letting the sound go through Genos or Kord deosn't mean you have to change any settings.

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:23 AM »

Overover

Hi..Thanks again. yes I am using the cables connections as you mention......no problem with sound  no  hiss or irregular sounds.

Thanks

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »

Murat

sorry for delay in replying

Got no Problem connecting Korg PA4x  into the Genos,  and I think I got the MAXX settings on the Korg PA4 X  to a better tone now.

Thanks for helping

Ronnie