Author Topic: Dynamics control on styles  (Read 2182 times)

Offline JanCK

Dynamics control on styles
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
In Style Settings, I have the Dynamics Control set to "wide", so that the volume of the style parts changes according to how hard I touch the keys.  I've noticed that the Rhythm 1 and 2 voices never change dynamics no matter what.  Also, if I've manually adjusted the volume of the other voices and store this in registration buttons, these parts do not change according to my touch.  The parts that I have not adjusted, do change according to touch.  I really want all voices in the style to change volume according to my touch.   How is this done?  Would tuning the styles in style creator/assembly accomplish this?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Dynamics control on styles
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:35:46 PM »
In Style Settings, I have the Dynamics Control set to "wide", so that the volume of the style parts changes according to how hard I touch the keys.  I've noticed that the Rhythm 1 and 2 voices never change dynamics no matter what.  Also, if I've manually adjusted the volume of the other voices and store this in registration buttons, these parts do not change according to my touch.  The parts that I have not adjusted, do change according to touch.  I really want all voices in the style to change volume according to my touch.   How is this done?  Would tuning the styles in style creator/assembly accomplish this?

Jana, it might be useful to post your registration so some of us can take a look at it to see if we see the same thing. Might be useful to try out Dynamic Control, which I've never used before.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
Hi JANck,
The Dynamics is a global setting independent of registrations. I have it set to Medium since if I play expressively the Wide setting can be overwhelming. I find the style parts affected generally to be similar to those described by you. I don't believe the "freezing" of the dynamics is related to using registrations because you only have to alter the volume setting on a part in Mixer to find it freezes, (even before making a registration).
I think a key point may be that if you want to make a vol. change, go to Style Creator first, THEN  access Mixer (Direct Access followed by Ending 2). It then appears changes can be made without killing the dynamics.
The user styles I made some time ago and load from registrations continue to work dynamically (except for rhythm) but my method has always been to go to Creator first since I usually aim for different volumes, voices etc. across the sections.
If you observe the dynamics of various preset styles across the genres they often differ in which voice parts respond, suggesting that somewhere there must be a setting which enables/ disables Dynamics by channel. This seems to be available to the authors of styles, and Style Creator but I'm not sure whether it's accessible to ordinary users, unless someone has already found it  :)

John
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:29:29 PM by jwyvern »

Offline JanCK

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »
Thanks, John.  I'll give your advice a shot today when I can get back to the keyboard.  It seems like before the upgrade, this feature was working perfectly -- the volumes for every instrument in the style changed (even the drums).  Are you saying that before the upgrade, your rhythm volumes never changed?  Or that they did change and now, after the upgrade, they don't?

To those who have made the upgrade and who also use this feature, please let us know how it's working for you.  I've only ever made adjustments to the volumes using the sliders and saved the changes in registrations.

Fred, my registration wouldn't attach because it didn't like my extension (rgt), and I don't which extension to give or, or how to do that except just typing in another one.  Seems like that wouldn't do any good.  Sorry, I'm not very tech-ish, despite being a Genos owner.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »
"Are you saying that before the upgrade, your rhythm volumes never changed?  Or that they did change and now, after the upgrade, they don't?"

JANck,
I did not monitor individual style parts on Genos so cannot confirm visually whether drums originally worked. However, I do remember it was possible originally for drums to sound intrusive with dynamics on, whereas recently the dynamics have become more bland. It is possible the timing could have coincided with the update  (and unforeseen side effects) .

John