Author Topic: Creating a new "filing system" for song registrations  (Read 2236 times)

Offline JanCK

Creating a new "filing system" for song registrations
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
I really need to create a good organizational system for my song registrations (one song per reg bank).  Ideally one does this when their Genos is new, but it took me a long time to understand how things were organized and stored.  Now, with the latest update/upgrade and needing to improve the tuning of my styles anyway, it's the time for me to start creating alphabetized folders  (A-C; D-F, etc) to store my song registrations.  When I do move them to these folders, that means the pathways to retrieve each song registration will be broken, which will affect my registration settings.  My questions are:

1) Is that correct?

2) If so, what's the best way to proceed?   Seems like I need a print out of all my registration settings, in case I have to recreate them from scratch?  I have an Apple computer and so my understanding is that Murray's Best program won't work on my computer.

Re: Creating a new "filing system" for song registrations
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:47:25 PM »
JanCK, you can turn your Genos on in USB mode. Your Genos is then displayed as a drive on your computer. From there, you can manipulate your Registration files using your computer. That's much faster than doing it inside the Genos.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:52:08 PM »
Hi Jan

Moving your Registrations will NOT corrupt the file paths, hence they should all work as before.

Moving the Styles & Multipads is the problem.

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline JanCK

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
Thanks Bill and Lee.

Bill -- Some of my songs use a style that I adjusted and filed in the User Style section.  Sounds like the path to those will be corrupted?

Lee -- I will give that a try.  I have a Mac computer, and whenever I've tried to download something from the Forum to my Mac (like a style or piano voice setting, etc), it doesn't ever work.  It says it doesn't have an app to open it in, and I don't know what app it would take. 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Thanks Bill and Lee.

Bill -- Some of my songs use a style that I adjusted and filed in the User Style section.  Sounds like the path to those will be corrupted?

Lee -- I will give that a try.  I have a Mac computer, and whenever I've tried to download something from the Forum to my Mac (like a style or piano voice setting, etc), it doesn't ever work.  It says it doesn't have an app to open it in, and I don't know what app it would take.

Jan,

As Bill says, moving registrations, even those that have user styles, will not corrupt them. Again, as he said, it’s moving the user styles that would cause a problem.

Regarding Lee's suggestion, I agree, USB mode would make moving and renaming so much easier. And you don’t have to download anything. Connect your keyboard from the USB-to-host port to any USB port on the computer (using a standard printer cable). Now power on while holding down the Playlist button. Now your User drive will look like an external drive to the computer.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline JanCK

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Fred...guess you could see my next question coming! 

Offline JanCK

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:35:04 PM »
Fred, I've successfully connected my Mac to the Genos.  All looks like it should on my computer, just like you said it would.  That is, until I go to open the registration banks for the songs (for example, the song called "At Seventeen"), I get this message:

"There is no application set to open the document "At Seventeen.S693.right".  Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer."

This is the same message I get whenever I try to use my computer with the Genos.  What application would work?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:43 AM »
Fred, I've successfully connected my Mac to the Genos.  All looks like it should on my computer, just like you said it would.  That is, until I go to open the registration banks for the songs (for example, the song called "At Seventeen"), I get this message:

"There is no application set to open the document "At Seventeen.S693.right".  Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer."

This is the same message I get whenever I try to use my computer with the Genos.  What application would work?

You can’t open the file on the computer. It doesn’t know what to do with it.

But you can rename, and move files, which is what you want to do. You can also create folders.

Just use whatever program is the Mac version of File Explorer.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons