Author Topic: To upgrade or not?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Paul B

To upgrade or not?
« on: May 18, 2020, 09:22:28 PM »
I will apologize up front. I have not been on the Forum for quite a while and so I haven't been in on all the previous comments on this subject. So, that said I am asking for some opinions on whether to upgrade from my current S975 to a SX900. I have read a lot of the promo material and watched the demo videos. But I am asking for some opinions from those that have done the upgrade.
I am an older singer that is still gigging (when we can go out again) and I use the keyboard primarily for accompaniment. I do use the onboard vocal processor and I have over 500 song registration banks.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Paul B
Kenosha, WI

PSR-SX900, Bose S1 Pro(2)

Offline Toril S

Re: To upgrade or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:51:28 PM »
Hello Paul. Good to hear from you again :) I have an S975, and have tried the SX900 several times in our store, and I also have the Genos, with the same touch screen as the SX, but the screen is bigger.
It depends on what you like. The registrations from the S975 won't work on the SX900, at least not without a lot up rework!
The SX900 has better speakers, 3 right hand voices, touch screen, and it now has scat voices previously only seen on Tyros/Genos. Some styles are reworked. I am sure the SX900 users will chime in and tell you to go ahead, better keybed, better sound and so on. Only you can decide if the new features will justify an upgrade. I strongly advice you to try it if possible. I will not upgrade, but keep my S975, but I have the Genos also, so I really had a hard time justifying an upgrade :)
It is worth noting that the speakers of the SX900 are different from the S975 in that they point more outward, so the sound is not only going up to the ceiling. On small gigs, you can use it without a PA system. Good luck deciding :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 03:14:10 AM »
Paul, Welcome back!   I upgraded from an s970 and I'm happy I did.  The SX900 has some features that almost make it a baby Genos.  I have a Genos too.  I love the touch screen, playlist feature, all the programmable buttons.   The one caveat that Toril wrote about is those 500 registrations could cause some issues.  With my SX900 I decided to redo them, yes a bit time consuming but since most of us cannot go out to play gigs there's plenty of time to redo the registrations.  I like the keybed much better than what was on previous PSR boards.  I can actually play some piano solo pieces on it even with 61 keys.    Good luck in whatever you decide. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:17:39 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
Yes I enjoy my SX a lot. My PSR970 registrations play with no problem but of course there is no third voice loaded. This is easy to add a third voice and re-save Reg.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
Welcome back Paul! You are RIGHT... THIS is THE place to learn.. share and enjoy with the other members. I agree with the previous posters, Eileen, Stephen and Toril. I don't use the vocal features, but find the new registrations far better, the choice of 3 voices in right hand, the touch screen, keybed, speakers, ease of use, quality of sound and even the thoughtfulness of design and on board registrations to be FAR superior to me. There have been comments on EQ and balance of sounds which is justified and requires tweaking registrations, but it is much easier on this model FOR ME. Whatever  you decide... PLAY ON!
Best,
John

Offline Paul B

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I am trying to find a way to try one out. I have not made a decision yet but I will post again when I do. Thanks again!
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

Offline Paula

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:24:40 PM »
Hi Paul
 how far is Kraft music store from you ,when I was trucking your way it seems as though they were not to far from the Kenosha Exit, they should have one, I bought my Tyros from them and liked there service
            Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 03:42:36 AM »
Just remember that the registrations will port if they use onboard styles. If you have custom styles, you would have to install the style then completely re-do the registration. A lot more work.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »
Just remember that the registrations will port if they use onboard styles. If you have custom styles, you would have to install the style then completely re-do the registration. A lot more work.
Mike

Registrations with custom styles will port just as easily as long as the styles are in the same place on both keyboards (ie, same drive, same folder).

That's all you need to do. There isn't any more work required.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Paul B

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. They helped me to make a decision to order a new sx900 from Frank at Audioworks.
Now eagerly awaiting it's arrival.
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
Paul,  Congratulations on your new SX900!  8) :)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
Good move and from a great seller too.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
Great! Congrats Paul!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 12:39:51 AM »
You will really enjoy it. Make sure it has the latest OS update and remember to download the extra play lists from the download site plus the four free packs that are loaded onto the keyboard. This is important if you want to add extra packs in the future.

Offline Paula

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 12:54:05 AM »
I have bought 2 key boards from Frank, great place to shop
            Paula
 enjoy your new Key board
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 02:56:17 AM »
I have bought 2 key boards from Frank, great place to shop
            Paula
 enjoy your new Key board

Plus one to Paula's comment.  He is a great dealer.  Back in 2005 I bought a set of Logitech z5500s that Frank no longer was using. In 2007 I bought a Korg PA800 from him then the list went on year after year with PSR900, then the 910, Korg Pa2x Pro, Tyros4, Pa3x-61  Tyros5-61, Pa4x-76, Tyros5-76, Genos, Roland FP90, Psr-S970 and SX900.   Yes I'm sold on Frank and Audioworks, it also helps that I live about 100 miles from his store and have been able to try before I buy.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks