Author Topic: Need a tip  (Read 1698 times)

Offline wannjl

Need a tip
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:11:10 AM »
I have been using my PSR x900 for a few months now and have now purchased Epoch Strings sound expansion pack.  I have been pouring over the owners manual for Expansion Manager and I can't seen to find how to save the expansion sets that came with the keyboard before adding the Epoch Springs.  Hints would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.  Jeff
Hammond XK3, XK5, Leslie 3300
Yamaha PSR s710,   PSR SX900
CenterPoint SpaceStation
ACME B2, Crown Sub
Neo Ventilator

Offline overover

Re: Need a tip
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:58:13 AM »
Hi Jeff,

the pre-installed Expansion Packs that came with the SX900 cannot be backed up. Since these packs are DELETED from the SX900 when you install additional Packs, you must do the following:

First download the desired "pre-installed" Expansion Packs in the SX900 version (!) from the SX900 "Voice & Style Expansion" page:

>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

The following Packs are available there: African (~ 21MB), Europe (~ 71MB), Latin America (~ 39MB) and Oriental (~ 26MB).

Warning: These Packs are in .cpf format and can only be installed on the SX model for which they were manufactured (SX900 or SX700)!

In addition to these 4 Packs, there is also the "Vietnam 2" Pack (~99 MB), which is preinstalled on the Vietnamese SX models:

>>> https://vn.yamaha.com/vi/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

You can now import the .cpf files of the desired "Pre-installed" Packs via "My Packs [ + ] Import Pack" into the Expansion Manager (YEM).

Then import your newly acquired Strings Expansion Pack into the YEM in the same way.

If desired, you can change the order in which the Packs are later displayed on the SX900: Click on "My Packs [ > ] Change Bank Select LSB". Here you can move the Pack that was selected in "My Packs" BEFORE opening this window with the mouse to another LSB location (and thus also determine the later order of the Packs on the SX).

To move another pack to a different LSB, you have to close this window first (click on the "X"), then select the other Pack and then open the "Change Bank Select LSB" window again as mentioned above. (Of course, every time you close this window you have to click "Save" to keep the changes.)

If you haven't already done so, export the Instrument Info file (.n27) from the SX900 to a USB stick now and import it as new "Install Target" in the YEM.

Click on your Install Target "PSR-SX900" and select all the Packs you want to install on the SX (so that they have a LIGHT GREEN checkmark).

Then click on "Save as Pack Install File" button and save your original Pack Install file (.cpi) on the connected USB stick.

Finally connect the USB stick to the SX and start the Pack Installation (touch "[Menu] > Expansion").

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:11:10 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, wannjl, KeyboardEd

Offline wannjl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:34:40 PM »
Fabulous!  Thanks
Hammond XK3, XK5, Leslie 3300
Yamaha PSR s710,   PSR SX900
CenterPoint SpaceStation
ACME B2, Crown Sub
Neo Ventilator

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »
Fabulous!  Thanks

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad to could help you.

If there are any problems, simply come back here! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)