Author Topic: Hi and a quick question about soundfont sounds  (Read 1836 times)

Hi and a quick question about soundfont sounds
« on: May 13, 2020, 09:24:06 PM »
Hi all . I have a quick question and sure someone on the forum will be able to help.  I have already loaded several expansion packs and different ones of my own into the SX900 and am very happy but just curious has anybody tried out any of the sound font collections and are they any good??

Thanks     David

Offline Joe H

Re: Hi and a quick question about soundfont sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:03:22 AM »
I bought the Sound Font Mega Pack from this company:

https://logicalsoundz.selz.com/

They offer a lot of sounds!

It' a lot of work to make the SF files to be compatible with the arranger Voices. It's getting them in the right octave, setting the filters, etc. What I had to do is install them then use Voice Set to figure out how to modify them.  The COMMON parameters in YEM are the Voice Set parameters when you install the pack.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »
Thanks so much Joe,. I have looked at the page and wow so many to choose from. I had a Korg Triton studio years ago and can't wait to try out some of their stuff. The strings are still hard to beat lol. Thanks again :)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »
As I stated, there is a lot of tweaking to be done.  If you have not had experience with YEM you will find it takes time.  You can assign a limited number of DSP effects from YEM.  Getting the right amount of Reverb is also critical. The Volumes are also critical. This is set in the COMMON parameters (Voice Set for R and L Voices)

Create a new Pack in YEM, then Import the SF2 file as Content.  It's been awhile but I think the Voice names will display correctly.  You will also want to assign a LSB. YEM will do this for you, but you might want to change it. After installing the new pack in your keyboard, it is then you will use Voice Set on the keyboard to tweak the Voices.  You can save the adjusted Voices as User Voices or you can have YEM running and duplicate the same settings in the COMMON parameters of the YEM Voice Editor. Those setting of the COMMON parameters will become the Voice Set File when your pack is installed.

Once you get all the Voices to your liking do the following: 

1. IMPORTANT - Export the new pack with all your new settings
2. DELETE the new pack from YEM after you have just exported
3. IMPORT the new pack with all your new settings (this is to purge YEM of extraneous data)

Now you can create a new .ppi file with all your new settings and install once again in your keyboard. Every time you make edits to the new pack follow the above procedure. It will keep YEM from getting corrupted.

Good luck with your experiments.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:29:55 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
Joe you are a star, quite complex but I've already managed to create and new pack and followed your instructions to the letter..worked perfectly.  Thanks again.  David