Author Topic: Style effects  (Read 2589 times)

shuey

Style effects
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
Forgive me for asking a rookie question, i am fairly new to the sx900, but is there any way i can change which channel in the style and/or which effect for that channel  for EACH variation or are the variations (which type as well as which channel) locked for all 4 variations? And if yes, how?

Offline Joe H

Re: Style effects
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Yes it's possible by creating a special MIDI template. But I'm curious... why would you want to do that? It just complicates things.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

shuey

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »
Allow me to give a example, if i were to create a style and use chord 1 and 2 for guitars (both with effects) in variation A, then lets say in variation B i wanted to use only one guitar and use the other effect for a synth or i dont know what, that would not be possible

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »
Hi shuey,
style parts(channels) are independent from variation to variation or fill in or intro or ending.
So you can have in Main A a piano voice in chord 1
                   and in Main B a guitar voice in chord 1.

For the effects see page 105 of reference manual because on the SX900 you can have more options for using effects with style parts than previous models:
https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1279207/psrsx900_sx700_en_rm_a0.pdf

I think there is also a way to have totally different effects from Variation to Variation if you create two or more similar styles with different effects to each one of them and move between the parts with the registration buttons, although I have never try to see if some DSP effects could cause a problem when they change.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:38:44 PM by panos »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 10:00:41 PM »
Allow me to give a example, if i were to create a style and use chord 1 and 2 for guitars (both with effects) in variation A, then lets say in variation B i wanted to use only one guitar and use the other effect for a synth or i dont know what, that would not be possible

You can assign assign a Drum, Bass, Chord, Pad or Phrase to ANY style Part. You don't have to change the channels. Try this with Style Creator Assembly, you will see what I mean. When you copy a style part from one style to another, EI: a guitar part to a Phrase, Pad or Chord Part, style Creator also copies the CASM settings so that part will play correctly. 

The problem with mixing up (changing) Parts from one Main Section to another is that it will make editing the style far more difficult in the future. I think if you want to change parts like that it would be best to use Multi Pads assigned in the OTS.  Panos suggestion of using different versions of the same style with registrations is also a good way of doing things.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:07:15 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

shuey

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:46:37 PM »
Thank you joe for your time, however my question was not regarding whether i can change the VOICE for each var., i was asking about changing the EFFECT on that channel for each variation. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 03:46:08 AM »
If you have a sx900... I don't know.  I doubt it. Yamaha in the past does not implement that possibility because there are no Insert effects prior to the PSR sx keyboards. The Variation effect is a global setting.

Joe H

shuey

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
So both the variation and insertion effect should be able to be assigned to just one variation? (Side note, what is the main difference between the 2?)
Thank you all for your time!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
Hmmm after some experimenting it looks like you cannot have different effect assignments in different style sections.

On Genos, while in the style creator, pressing DIRECT + A (etc) opens the mixer for that section If you change settings for volume, resonance, etc then EXIT and save the style, the settings are updated just for that section. But this does not work for the effect assignment.

Re your side note : this has its roots more than 20 years ago when Yamaha invented a standard called XG. Remember that processing power was much more limited back then. To be XG compliant, a tone generator had to provide an effect block which had two 'modes' - it could be used as either an insert effect on one part, or as a system effect which meant it applied to ALL parts. As a system effect, the amount of 'send' on each part could be set individually. In this way you could for example have a distortion effect applied to two guitar parts. The variation effect was present on older PSR / Tyros as DSP1, on SX/Genos it's shown separately as "variation effect".
Genos

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
So both the variation and insertion effect should be able to be assigned to just one variation? (Side note, what is the main difference between the 2?)
Thank you all for your time!

The style playing engine of any Yamaha arranger is practically unchanged since the late 90s of the last century. And has many limitations which nowadays are anachronistic. You cannot do anything about that. And even the Genos owners must live with the same 20+ years old style playing engine implemented in every Yamaha arranger since then.

If you want to try something more advanced (the fully functional demo is free) you can try our software, which augments the usefulness of your hardware.

Among the countless more advanced new features there is exactly what you are asking for: you can assign any available insert DSPs to any track you wish (including multiple styles parts), you can stack up to 2 DSP in series per part, you can change the effect in each style section (intro, main, break, fill, ending). And everything can be quickly edited in real time with the style playing with a clear visual editor (touch screen enabled).

The software comes with 860 high quality styles that take advantage of all the style engine advanced features (including multiple DSPs in style parts, and different effects in different style sections).

www.groovyband.live

There is a thread in this forum which links hundreds of audio examples recorded by one of our users on a PSR S770.