Author Topic: Just purchased an SX 900  (Read 4006 times)

nick G

Just purchased an SX 900
« on: April 23, 2020, 04:53:04 AM »
Hey all,

Its been only 2 days so far and have come across a few quirks about this board was wondering there's a fix for this or have a missed anything?

1) I have saved a registration that includes a midi song and some panel voices I have setup so I can play over the midi song playing background. Whenever I bring up the registration I notice that the panel voices reset to other instruments. for some reason it is NOT saving my panel voices in this particular registration... is it something to do with the midi song reverting all my panel voices automatically??

2) Style Play: When the accomp button is on but no style is playing and you press a chord - you hear strings play and a bass note...
      a) Is there a way you can hold this so as you release your fingers from the chord, the strings and bass remain on and follow chord changes seemliness?? I am certain this could be done on
          previous Yamaha arrangers??
      b) Can you change the voice of the strings and also transpose the bass note to a lower octave? I noticed you can set them to default to the bass and strings/pad voice from the style that is
          currently selected, but was wondering if you had full control to customise this?

3) I feel there is still one MAJOR feature missing - Drum kit editor (custom drum kits)... or is this achievable with computer software?

Outside the above - I am extremely impressed and overwhelmed with this new keyboard.
The OS is amazing and very logical, I hold it up there with my Roland G70 in terms of ease of use.

I feel the overall sound quality and playability of this keyboard is light years ahead of my old PSR S970.

Let me know what you guys think?

Cheers!
Nick

Offline Christopher Fernandes

Re: Just purchased an SX 900
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:18:37 AM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:26:16 AM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

nick G

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:20:28 AM »
is this related to Voice favourites only or favourite styles as well??

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
is this related to Voice favourites only or favourite styles as well??

So far it has happened only to styles I believe but could be quite a possibility for both. Better don't take a chance.
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
Before you save the midi file in the song creator, touch the "Setup" icon and make sure you save the keyboard voice selection into the file. Note that this saves into the midi file at the point where the file is stopped, so if you want the voice selection to be effective immediately make sure you're at the start of the song.

Look up "Stop Accompaniment" in the manual re the strings and bass, or search this forum - I'd say it's one of the most common questions that gets asked :)

If you open the Style Creator menu, you will find a Drum Setup feature that lets you change individual instruments in the drum kit being used with the current style. You can't save this out as a custom kit though. If you want to do that, you need to use the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) software which is free. I've not tried making a custom kit with YEM so I can't comment on how easy it is.

Have fun!
Genos

nick G

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »
Thanks Derek,

Before you save the midi file in the song creator, touch the "Setup" icon and make sure you save the keyboard voice selection into the file. Note that this saves into the midi file at the point where the file is stopped, so if you want the voice selection to be effective immediately make sure you're at the start of the song.

I have done the setup and execute correctly so it is saving / storing all my re voicing for a midi file - awesome new feature!! almost like make up tools on my Roland G70 (close to it)...
What i am asking about specifically is - and I dont know if this is a bug or not but my right 1, 2 and 3 panel voices are not storing correctly when I save the reg bank... every time I revert back to the registration I stored - the panel voices reset to something else....

Look up "Stop Accompaniment" in the manual re the strings and bass, or search this forum - I'd say it's one of the most common questions that gets asked :)

I have used the "Stop Accompaniment" feature but it doesn't allow me to make any further configurations such as holding the chord (pad and bass voices) and/or the ability to octave down or up the bass voice that gets played when you press the chord... I have exhausted all options, menus, buttons etc and cannot seem to find it... unless the feature simply doesn't exist in this keyboard...?

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »

…..
2) Style Play: When the accomp button is on but no style is playing and you press a chord - you hear strings play and a bass note...
      a) Is there a way you can hold this so as you release your fingers from the chord, the strings and bass remain on and follow chord changes seemliness?? I am certain this could be done on previous Yamaha arrangers??
    ….
Cheers!
Nick
At first congrats with your new KB, Nick. About the quoted issue: pls. have a look in <Menu2 <Style setting <Setting and than under  <Stop ACMP. There you have 3 choices: Off, Style or Fixed. Maybe one of these settings suits you? (I saw DerekA has mentioned this too)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:01:24 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
Just to be clear, you know that when setting up the midi file and saving registrations, you have to select what to save and what not to save by ticking the boxes.

When you save your voicings back to the midi file through the 'setup' icon, there is a specific box you need to tick in order to save the keyboard voices L/R1/R2/R3 selection.

When you create the registration, make sure ONLY the 'Midi Song' box is ticked - not the 'Voice' box. If you tick the Voice box, then the current panel voice settings will go into the registration and take precedence over the ones in the midi file.
Genos

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »
... I have done the setup and execute correctly so it is saving / storing all my re voicing for a midi file ...

What i am asking about specifically is - and I dont know if this is a bug or not but my right 1, 2 and 3 panel voices are not storing correctly when I save the reg bank... every time I revert back to the registration I stored - the panel voices reset to something else....

Hi Nick,

please check the following: Load your Registration bank and press the desired Reg button to load your Registration that contains the MIDI file.

Now, if the Right Voices (you have memorized to this Registration before) are NOT properly loaded, press the same Registration button AGAIN.

If it works now, the problem is your MIDI file (that contains so called "Keyboard Voice" events which change (among others) your Right voice settings when the MIDI file is loaded by loading the Registration).

In principal, you have two possibilities now:

- Make the desired Right (and Left) voice settings.
- Press SONG STOP button to be sure you are at the beginning of the Song.
- Go to "MIDI Multi Recording" >>> "Setup"
- Make sure to have ticked all items in the first two rows (Voice ... Tempo) and additionally tick "Keyboard Voice".
- Press "Execute" and then "Close".
- Press "Save". (If you not want to change your Registration, use the same file name and overwrite the old version of the MIDI file.)

(If desired, you can write those "Keyboard Voice" settings to the MIDI file at ANY position. Your Right / Left voice settings are changed then automatically by the MIDI file.)

2. (My suggestion)
- REMOVE all "Keyboard Voice" events from the MIDI file. This can be done easily by using the PC (Windows) program "PSRUTI":
>>> http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=83

- Load the MIDI file in PSRUTI. Press "Extras - Delete Keyboard Events". (Use the standard setting here (all boxes execept the last are checked) or check a least the first box "Delete Meta Events Keyboard Voice".) Press OK, then "Exit" to close the "Extras" window. Press "Save" button to overwrite the source file OR press "Save as ..." to save with a new file name. (See also the attached picture.)

- If you edit the MIDI file directly on the keyboard in the future, make sure that the item "Keyboard Voice" is NOT checked in the "Setup" window!

(Such "Keyboard Voice" events can also be removed from a MIDI file directly on the keyboard, but this is not that easy.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:43:10 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
So far it has happened only to styles I believe but could be quite a possibility for both. Better don't take a chance.

It happened to me only with the voices use

Offline Duffy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:47:52 PM »
So pleased that the midi is now fine and can be played without any problems.
Thank you so much Chris and all you other guys who went out of your way to help.
It's so nice to have backup from such friendly and helpful guys.
Have downloaded the software you mentioned and I will try to do this myself on a copy of the rogue midi.
Your explanation seems fairly clear so I should be able to manage it.
Thanks again,
Tony 

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 11:12:44 PM »
Nick G. (ability to octave down or up the bass voice that gets played when you press the chord.)

These Chord voices are from the style you have selected.
Unfortunately Style Voice part have no option for octave changes.
On my Tyros 5-76 there is a Left Hold relating to the chord sounding.
DGX670

Online overover

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 11:41:03 PM »
So pleased that the midi is now fine and can be played without any problems.
Thank you so much Chris and all you other guys who went out of your way to help.
It's so nice to have backup from such friendly and helpful guys.
Have downloaded the software you mentioned and I will try to do this myself on a copy of the rogue midi.
Your explanation seems fairly clear so I should be able to manage it.
Thanks again,
Tony

Hi Tony,

thank you for your kind reply!

P.S.
In your special case, I checked only the first item (Delete Meta Events "Keyboard Voice") in the "Delete Keyboard Events" window of PSRUTI (and left all other items unchecked).

In most cases I recommend to use the standard settings in this window (= all items checked exept the last one "Delete all Song Position Markers", just as shown on the >>> picture in my Reply #8).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:46:55 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)