Author Topic: USB Hub works great  (Read 2790 times)

blackpool

USB Hub works great
« on: May 07, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Rather than messing with rear USB connections . I initially used a lead adaptor ( which i ALWAYS do to avoid damage to keyboard sockets )

Recently though, thought I would try a SWITCHED 4 gang hub I have an it works a treat.
 USB 1-4 are even listed on touch screen, so thats a REAL bonus and they work just fine
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:05:54 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: iulistil2

Offline overover

Re: USB Hub works great
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Hi Keith,

please be careful when making Registrations:

If you memorize files (e.g. Styles, MIDI files, MultiPads) stored on a USB stick to Registrations, and you have connected more than one stick, the Registrations won't work anymore if the individual sticks are connected in a different order next time.

This is because in the Reg bank file there is stored the individual Drive Letter of the stick (USB 1 = I:, USB 2 =J:, and so on).

Therefore, I recommend to have connected only ONE stick when working with Registrations.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:24:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip ... I use them for my song styles ...but will bear that n mind

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 01:17:07 PM »
Why on earth would you want four USB sticks in your keyboard. Just get a miniature 32 Gb USB. and keep everything on that just as you would a Hard Drive. Keep it plugged in permanently. Then use a small extension USB cable that you can easily plug a second USB in to transfer any content you may download and want to add to your Master USB. Then remove this USB. Much tidier and quicker to find things and your playlist will always work this way.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
We all have different ways of doing things. I considered the hub, but now do as Eileen suggested.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
For sure active hubs work on all actual keyboards.
But don't think about broken USB sockets ... till no I never found a person or a technician with a broken on .. just a mythos.

And for sure, almost 3-6GB are more than enough for 99% of the user.
So a 16-32GB Stick ist more than enough.

ONE Thing, if you use more sticks in one session, the genos starts indexing several times ... and you loose performance.
So if you have a wild structure you can slow down your keyboard .... and that is not good.

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
I use a HUB for just 2 8GB USB 3.0 sticks.  One for all my styles, Multi Pads, User Voices, songs and Registrations.  The other one is for audio recording only.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »
I use a HUB for just 2 8GB USB 3.0 sticks.  One for all my styles, Multi Pads, User Voices, songs and Registrations.  The other one is for audio recording only.
;)
Joe H
Hi Joe,
You can use 100 Sticks :-) but best results and fine working keyboards with ONE in use at a time  ..
We made tests with 2 sticks in work with 1 , with 2 with a looooooot of content wit 2 with a "few" things ....

Because of indexing in background, (nec. for the search function) the one stick thing works ALWAYS!

greetings frank

PS: And never made device hopping when using registrations  ... always ALL datas on ONE Stick so no "not found" things in regs...
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

blackpool

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
its the rear sockets that get me ....why not have them on the front like other boards ie Genos Tyros ...so much more conv.
Regarding socket wear and tear....I did once buy a used PSR which had a damaged socket needing replacing ....maybe due to careless use, so I have always used a lead adaptor at least to keep the factory socket in perfect unused condition.

The SWITCHED hub will just be maybe handy to copy the song styles i often do for friends, especially if I am producing numerous sets of the same styles for different people. It will just save a great deal of plugging and unplugging, when I can simply switch from one drive to another ... that was my thinking Eileen

No....it's not for everyone ....it was simply a shared idea, given this is a 'forum' at the end of the day  ....whether, you take it or leave it   

Keith
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:40:07 PM by blackpool »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
Hi Joe,
You can use 100 Sticks :-) but best results and fine working keyboards with ONE in use at a time  ...

Yes, That's how I do it... one stick at a time.  My HUB has switches on it.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html