Author Topic: "Clacky" keys on SX900/700: Please send me your Serial numbers!  (Read 29575 times)

Offline EileenL

Re: "Clacky" keys on SX900/700: Please send me your Serial numbers!
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:09 PM »
Mine was done by E&M quite a few weeks ago and I believe they now do most of Yamaha's repairs.
  Have not had any more trouble with my keys so far.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2020, 03:27:54 PM »
Before your warranty expires, contact Yamaha support and let them know of your problem. They will issue a case number.

Mine was done at a local authorized Yamaha dealer/repair shop. The shop ordered special grease from Yamaha, and repaired it in one day.

Before the ordering of grease and doing the repair, the shop was in contact with Yamaha to insure Yamaha would pay for the repair. They did.

Keybed keys are perfect again, with no clack. Attempting self repairs will most likely void the warranty.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:29:50 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2020, 11:05:53 PM »
I was seriousy considering an SX900 but having read this topic I've had a change of heart.  I don't need all the hassle that accompanies a new SX900 if you're unlucky enough to get one with a faulty keybed.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2020, 11:11:28 PM »
Same here! But I have the Genos. Wonderful keybed, stable and good! Same with Tyros. My S975 is clacky, but not in a faulty way, it is how it is, and being an accordion player I don't mind.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
An interesting reply Toril.  My Tyros 4 is over eight years old and had a very hard life.  The top of the keys are wearing from use but it still works perfectly. 

So what went wrong with the SX?   It appears to be a definitive quality control issuse whether that be in the manufacturing process or a design fault.   I'm no expert but it appears from the earlier posts either a cheaper product (grease) was used or it was applied incorrectly.  Maybe they should, if they can, issue a list of affected serial numbers and then potentential buyers could be assured they have the option to purchase an SX without this issue.  This assumes they know the S/N's of faulty keybeds or have not recalled the SX's with the fault that had not beed already sold.

In the meantime, I'll continue to mull over what to buy next.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
The SX900 is a great little keyboard. I had one of the very first ones out. I did have problems with the keys but got in touch with Yamaha who arranged to have it picked up and sent to there official repairers. It was then sent back to me and is now working fine. Mind you the keys did not make that much noise. Much less than the PSR970 in which all the keys were noisy.

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »
It's good to know Yamaha take care of the problem of the faulty SX keys.  However, as I said earlier, 'I don't need all the hassle that accompanies a new SX900 if you're unlucky enough to get one with a faulty keybed'. 

Thank you for your kindly response Eileen but, on that basis, I'll take a pass on an SX900 and look for a different back-up keyboard.

Bene

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
Yes, I could contact Yamaha. But then I would probably have to send the keyboard away. That would be expensive, because I would have to buy a box and pay for shipping. That costs about 70 dollars. I'm from Germany and we only have one Yamaha Motorcycle store in our city. I doubt that they can help me.

One day the warranty will expire and then I need to know how to add grease to the PSR SX900. Even in case Yamaha doesn't accept the keyboard.

Thank you very much!

The user "computec1349" already did this process. Maybe he can give us a short manual how to open up and add grease. He said synthetic grease would be perfect. He attached pictures.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
 I must say if I hadn't read about it, I wouldn't have even noticed the so called "clack"  or side movement.

The repair center said it seemed fine before the repair, but since Yamaha was paying for the grease and labor, they went ahead. And Yamaha USA has stated this is not a known problem, but are willing to make concerned customers happy by changing the grease, no charge.  That's what I did.  So in no way would this stop me from buying a new SX-900. It's a great keyboard.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

dflstarry

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2020, 05:39:19 PM »
+++++ 1 Larry

Peterpan

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2020, 08:59:58 PM »
Hi
I have added extra Yamaha key grease to mine as I did not want the hassle of sending it away.
As a engineer the task was easy for me and took less than 1 Hour to complete.
I used Yamaha key grease which comes in a syringe.
There is also a synthetic grease I have used in the past by Dow corning  which is Molykote EM -30L which is white and has the same consistency as the Yamaha grease and is for plastic parts.
I would not recommend anyone without some basic skills in this area to carry out the service as there are a lot of ribbon cables around the keyboard assembly.
Regards Peter   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:21:51 PM by Peterpan »

Offline Woudi

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:26 PM »
Hallo,
I hope to buy a SX700 very soon. Seen a lot of reaction on the 900. Are there also these problems known on the 700? I'm in a little doubt now about the SX-series... :-\

dflstarry

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
Hallo,
I hope to buy a SX700 very soon. Seen a lot of reaction on the 900. Are there also these problems known on the 700? I'm in a little doubt now about the SX-series... :-\
Woudi, don't be they are great boards.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I am bringing the latest update regarding the noisy keys on my SX900, luckily the problem has been solved by Yamaha.
Despite the company's initial stance in saying that it was not a defect, I want to thank Yamaha for the attitude of calling on customers to do the due repair.
Now I'm happy and I hope that this problem doesn't come back.
According to the technical assistance, all the keys received a new grease.
The service was carried out under the product warranty at no additional cost to me.

A hug to everyone! :) :) :)
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »
Thank you for the update on your SX900 keyboard problem.   

Whilst most of this series are satisfactory it does seem there are a few SX900's that have this issue with the key action.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53:07 PM »
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I am bringing the latest update regarding the noisy keys on my SX900, luckily the problem has been solved by Yamaha.
Despite the company's initial stance in saying that it was not a defect, I want to thank Yamaha for the attitude of calling on customers to do the due repair.
Now I'm happy and I hope that this problem doesn't come back.
According to the technical assistance, all the keys received a new grease.
The service was carried out under the product warranty at no additional cost to me.

A hug to everyone! :) :) :)
Enildo

I also want to thank, in particular, the forum members who also participated in this repair process.
Thank you the size of the world !!!  ;) ;) ;)

Enildo

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2020, 02:53:11 AM »
Tomorrow it will be 2 months since I bought my sx900 and, unfortunately, today, out of nowhere, he started to give problems on the keys, making a noise of springs, which bothers a lot ... very sad ... brand new keyboard, nor left home yet (because of COVID-19) ... and it already has a problem ... really sad!

Original text: Amanhã fará 2 meses que comprei meu sx900 e, infelizmente, hoje, do nada, ele começou a dar problema nas teclas, fazendo um barulho de molas, que incomoda muito... muito triste... teclado novíssimo, nem saiu de casa ainda (por causa do COVID-19)... e já apresenta problema... muito triste mesmo!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
This makes me very hesitant to upgrade to a sx900.  Maybe I should wait until the next sx model is released.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2020, 03:42:19 PM »
I'm having the same thoughts too. 

Surely later models won't be shipped with same problem!

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »
I cannot recommend upgrading to the PSR SX900. Having done so myself I have had to return the instrument for repair multiple times and the same fault develops over and over again. I purchased mine in July this year. Other than the keybed itself, the build of the SX900 is very good. Some users will not have this issue, but I think it is fairly widespread so I would wait until the next model.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
Tomorrow it will be 2 months since I bought my sx900 and, unfortunately, today, out of nowhere, he started to give problems on the keys, making a noise of springs, which bothers a lot ... very sad ... brand new keyboard, nor left home yet (because of COVID-19) ... and it already has a problem ... really sad!

Unfortunately one more!
Welcome to the club!

Mine came back from the authorized service and so far everything is fine.
I hope it doesn't show the same defect anymore.

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: juliofluminense

Offline Enildo

« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »
This makes me very hesitant to upgrade to a sx900.  Maybe I should wait until the next sx model is released.

Joe H

The defect appears only after about 2 months.
Maybe yamaha has already fixed this.
Solving this problem Joe, it is worthwhile to upgrade to SX.

Enildo

blackpool

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
as I posted earlier in the thread - using my original SX900 model the sharps/flats were a 'tad' noisy but not that bad i needed to do anything

But - Ironically the 700 i now own is fine.
not seen any comments re. this model, yet I assume it is the very same keybed as on the 900?

I am just intrigued ....

Keith
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:46:56 PM by blackpool »

« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
Unfortunately one more!
Welcome to the club!

Mine came back from the authorized service and so far everything is fine.
I hope it doesn't show the same defect anymore.

Enildo

Which AUTHORIZED did you send? I'm going to send it to my city and they still don't have that grease ... but I would already tell them that another one has already solved this type of problem.

Original message: Em qual AUTORIZADA você enviou? Vou enviar para a daqui da minha cidade e eles ainda não têm essa graxa... mas já iria falar com eles que outra já resolveu este tipo de problema.

Offline overover

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
Which AUTHORIZED did you send? I'm going to send it to my city and they still don't have that grease ... but I would already tell them that another one has already solved this type of problem. ...

Hi Julio,

have you tried to find an authorized Yamaha Service Center through this website?
>>> https://br.yamaha.com/pt/support/service_locator/index.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Enildo

« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2020, 04:38:30 AM »

Which AUTHORIZED did you send? I'm going to send it to my city and they still don't have that grease ... but I would already tell them that another one has already solved this type of problem.

Original message: Em qual AUTORIZADA você enviou? Vou enviar para a daqui da minha cidade e eles ainda não têm essa graxa... mas já iria falar com eles que outra já resolveu este tipo de problema.

I took it to the authorized in Fortaleza-CE.
The grease took a while to arrive but when it arrived, delivery was fast.

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: JoePana

Offline Joe H

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
If the noisy keys develop again that means the problem is more than faulty grease.  Someone posted a video and I saw that there was a lot of side to side movement with the black keys.  Seems to me, this needs to be corrected (redesign the keys) and maybe also larger felt pads are needed as well.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
Joe, I completely agree. To me there is clearly a bigger problem here.

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
Hola, alguien tiene el vídeo de como aplicar la grasa a la teclas? Muchas gracias.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2020, 10:31:27 PM »
I completely disagree. Not really a  big problem to begin with, and certainly no problem after the free service.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:43:48 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2020, 11:13:47 PM »
I’m hoping that my incident is unique but my SX900 has already been repaired twice and the same issue occurs after only a few weeks of usage. Here is a video just 3 weeks after the second repair was carried out (new grease and replacement key frame) - https://youtu.be/SEPzlqYiiqc . The keyboard is currently at E&M again for repair.

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
Thank you for posting the video Sam.  It gives a very clear indication of the issue when it occurs.  I hope, as you say, it's somewhat unique to your SX.  However, three failures including the key frame being replaced just weeks apart are rather concerning.  Maybe Yamaha should consider replacing the unit given the inconvenience it's caused you. 

Hopefully, the matter will be sorted out very quickly for you.   Yamaha's after-sales service has, in my experience, always been top drawer.

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply! This particular SX900 that has been sent for repair three times is already a replacement unit as the first one I bought also quickly developed the issue. So far my experience with Yamaha's after-sales service has been very positive.

I'm hoping that the issue will finally be resolved soon.

Turracoo

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
Hi Gents, I've also had the same issue with my SX900 purchased in Dec 19, loose clacky black keys. While it's been an issue since day one I only eventually sent a video to my supplying dealer who were excellent at arranging collection for return to Yamaha. Have been advised that a re-grease will rectify the issue so fingers crossed. I was a bit disappointed when I first purchased as I was looking forward to the new FSB keybed but an old PSR E423 that I picked dul for £20 felt smoother. Other than that I absolutely love the keyboard. Hope you all manage to get your problems resolved.

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2021, 11:49:25 PM »
It does seem to be a fairly common issue. Unfortunately, my PSR SX900 has yet again developed the fault. I plan to contact Yamaha directly by phone this time. I am hoping my case is unique has the grease has been reapplied several times along with a new key frame and new black keys. The clacking can be heard when the keys are moved from side to side or when they are hit from certain angles (this is noticeable while playing).

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2021, 11:23:13 AM »
Hello friends, folling a malfunction of the SX900, I was forced to send the keyboard to an Authorized Yamaha Service Center. I asked if they could also settle the problem of noisy black keys (under warranty) yes mine has this problem too. The owner of the service center told me that this is not covered by the warranty and there was no notice from Yamaha about it. I mentioned the PSR Tutorial forum where in the end Yamaha had recognized this intervention in USA -Pennsylvania (thanks Larry), in Germany (thanks Chris) in Brazil (thanks Enildo) and in the United Kingdom (thanks Eleen). He wanted the link of the forum and the topic in question that I sent last night. This morning I received an email where the service center confirmed that they will also repair the black keys under warranty ... Unity is strength ... ;)
Pietro

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2021, 02:51:25 PM »
I am sorry to disappoint the forum, but these keyboards have always had these problems, it is considered a wear and tear problem, so Yamaha does not give it importance, what you have to do is replace the grease that comes with a better quality and ready.

Regards.

The question is, how difficult or complex is the procedure to grease the trouble keys? and what type of grease should be use?  This on order to “do it yourself” , for those out of warranty and with some practical skills. Is there any youtube video showing how to? This could be a great learning video.

Regards
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

vadesriux

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2021, 06:35:51 PM »
No one should need to grease any keys. This will immediately void any kind of warranty. So it should be Yamaha who needs to address this. I had a new Montage who came with defective white keys. Went to a Yamaha technician representative and came almost the same. Went back to the store for a refund.
Sometimes these things may happen. Its nothing to worry about since you can send it back for a refund. But never should you need to repair it by yourself.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »
The purpose of the topic is to warn keyboard owners that the problem has been recognized by Yamaha and repaired by a service center free of charge if the PSR SX900 keyboard is still under warranty. A video would be great for owners with the keyboard no longer covered by warranty (but you need to have good dexterity and know what you are doing). From experience, if the cost is not exorbitant it is better to have an experienced Service Center do it, means that and assumes the responsibility and guarantee of a job well done.
Pietro
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:49:41 AM by Aquilauno »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »
No one should need to grease any keys. This will immediately void any kind of warranty. So it should be Yamaha who needs to address this. I had a new Montage who came with defective white keys. Went to a Yamaha technician representative and came almost the same. Went back to the store for a refund.
Sometimes these things may happen. Its nothing to worry about since you can send it back for a refund. But never should you need to repair it by yourself.

That's exactly what many of the responses have been. If you have a problem, call Yamaha. Get it fixed. Yamaha has awesome customer support.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Toril S

« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
They did not respond! I think the service varies from country to country. That is not good.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Enildo

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
In my case, I had to contact yamaha by email, as the warranty service did not want to do the grease change service.
After I sent the email to yamaha, the authorized service contacted me. Here in Brazil, in general, Yamaha has a good reputation for solving problems.

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: NAMA