Author Topic: "Clacky" keys on SX900/700: Please send me your Serial numbers!  (Read 29566 times)

Offline overover

Hi all,

Frank Steinbrecher ("frankmusik") and I want to help users who have problems with "clacky" / clattering keys on SX900/700 models.

To do this, we need the Serial numbers of as many affected SX900 / 700 models as possible.

For details please read this post:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54823.msg431608.html#msg431608

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

blackpool

Re: "Clacky" keys on SX900/700: Please send me your Serial numbers!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
With mine its just sharps/flats that are a tad noisy ...but can live with that.

IMHO the SX900 is better than any other PSR keybed i have had...although I am not a fast pro player. maybe even moving more to Tyros quality for me ... I suppose it depends on your needs.
Having owned MUCH noisier boards I remember it being a huge improvement when Ringway changed over to Fatar boards.

Keith
As said ...I dont feel it's an issue needing attention... well not in my case

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:43:06 AM by blackpool »

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »
Yes, Keith, it's mainly the black keys. And probably it mainly affects SX models of the first batches (however, relatively few devices).

Frank has already sold a lot of SX models, and he (except for the SX900 from Heidrun) had NO case where the keys would have rattled.

Basically, the new developed "FSB" keyboard of the SX models is definitely a big improvement over the PSR-S keyboards.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:00:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

computec1349

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
Yes, Keith, it's mainly the black keys. And probably it mainly affects SX models of the first batches (however, relatively few devices).

Frank has already sold a lot of SX models, and he (except for the SX900 from Heidrun) had NO case where the keys would have rattled.

Basically, the new developed "FSB" keyboard of the SX models is definitely a big improvement over the PSR-S keyboards.

Best regards,
Chris

Dear Chris

The keys the SX-900/700 uses are the same keys that have been used since the PSR-1000 was released, even the part numbers are the same. The noise of the keys is due to the premature wear of the grease inside. Even if you change the keyboard 10 times sooner or later, this problem will come, depending on the time the instrument has been in use, so Yamaha will not replace it, they will even tell you that it is because of the use of the instrument.

Cheers

P.S. I worked in a service center and that was the response that Yamaha asked us to give to our customers.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:27:13 PM »
My PSR 2100 is 17 years old and the keys are like new. So what is happening here?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:32:52 PM »

Dear Chris

The keys the SX-900/700 uses are the same keys that have been used since the PSR-1000 was released, even the part numbers are the same. The noise of the keys is due to the premature wear of the grease inside. Even if you change the keyboard 10 times sooner or later, this problem will come, depending on the time the instrument has been in use, so Yamaha will not replace it, they will even tell you that it is because of the use of the instrument.

Cheers

P.S. I worked in a service center and that was the response that Yamaha asked us to give to our customers.

They might be the same keys but there's definitely some mechanical change in the new FSB keybed with an increased key travel. My older E413 that has been abused for 10 years doesn't have the issue. It's still intact and there's absolutely no rattling sound.

I suspect this is either a poor industrial design with the action mechanism by Yamaha themselves or a bad manufacturing (Quality Control) issue considering how inconsistent the rattling sound is across the board.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:42:11 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »

Hi Chris,

Yes, it's only the black keys. I don't consider it as "severe" in my case but the rattling sound is still there. It concerns me more especially when I compare my SX900 keys with my older E413 keys. There's absolutely no "clacky/rattling" noise on my E413's keys.

Very well could be a quality control issue with the first few batches since Yamaha has to ramp up the production to flood markets/stores.

My SX900 was apparently (according to my dealer) the very first sale in the entire country - since I order within minutes of SX900's announcement in my country. Should've waited perhaps? Couldn't contain my excitement at the time lol.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:53:39 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

shuey

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
I have it too, but at the end of the day its just extra noise, not like the keys are are insecure or anything

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
Hi Guys, I just realized that my SX900 also has that Click or rattle on some black keys. although as Christofer and Keith say, it is a bearable noise.

Hi Chris, if I send you the serial number, will they change my keyboard for a new one? Or is it just to have a report of the SX with problems.
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

computec1349

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 02:49:32 AM »
They might be the same keys but there's definitely some mechanical change in the new FSB keybed with an increased key travel. My older E413 that has been abused for 10 years doesn't have the issue. It's still intact and there's absolutely no rattling sound.

I suspect this is either a poor industrial design with the action mechanism by Yamaha themselves or a bad manufacturing (Quality Control) issue considering how inconsistent the rattling sound is across the board.

The E and MX and MODX keyboards and the S670 use the same type of keyboard, it uses no grease and is more durable.

beykock

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 05:13:32 AM »
It looks like most of you want a new keyboard, right ?

Do not expect your present keyboard will be replaced by a new one but it will be repaired ( free of charge ) by one of Yamaha's service centre's, IMO. 

Remember the PSR S900 screen !!!

Good luck !

Babette
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:01:10 AM by beykock »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
The E and MX and MODX keyboards and the S670 use the same type of keyboard, it uses no grease and is more durable.
Hi,

I tend to agree with you but not completely.  IMHO the E series had a nice keybed up to the PSR E343 and PSR E433. Form the E353 and E343 onwards, the quality is not as it was. I played the E463 and I didn’t like the keybed at all.

As for the lower S keyboards, I think the keybed was nice up to the S650.

I think keybed were better in the past because these keyboards, at the time, were med to be more durable.

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »
... Remember the PSR S900 screen !!! ...

It seems like the number 900 is a curse for Yamaha. How many keybeds will need to be replaced on the PSR sx900

It's a shame that there have been so many bugs on the sx900.  Maybe I'll wait for the next PSR sx 9xx to see what's been changed/improved.

:D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 02:59:58 AM »
Dear Chris

Cheers

Hi computec1349,

I have to contradict you here unfortunately.

I checked the relevant service documents: The PSR-550, 640/740, 1000/2000, 1100/2100 and 1500/3000 models have identical keyboards.

However, the FSB keyboard of the PSR-SX700/900 models is completely different (see the attached picture).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Totomo

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
PM send
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:04:25 PM by Totomo »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
Hi Chris, I sent you a PM.  Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

computec1349

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 10:40:49 PM »
Hi computec1349,

I have to contradict you here unfortunately.

I checked the relevant service documents: The PSR-550, 640/740, 1000/2000, 1100/2100 and 1500/3000 models have identical keyboards.

However, the FSB keyboard of the PSR-SX700/900 models is completely different (see the attached picture).

Best regards,
Chris

I am sorry to contradict it, but the function is the same and both models still use grease, the "crash" is because the grease is very thin and when the instrument is used a lot it dissolves, in the image in the part-list the grease is noted.

Regards.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
I am sorry to contradict it, but the function is the same and both models still use grease, the "crash" is because the grease is very thin and when the instrument is used a lot it dissolves, in the image in the part-list the grease is noted.

Regards.

Don't shoot the messenger... obviously there is a problem. On a $2000 keyboard this is unacceptable. If there is no noise with the white keys, then it should be the same for the black keys. Yamaha have been building keyboards since the 1960s.  They should know how to do it right by now.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:03:04 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »
I am sorry to contradict it, but the function is the same and both models still use grease, the "crash" is because the grease is very thin and when the instrument is used a lot it dissolves, in the image in the part-list the grease is noted. ...

Hi computec1349,

thank you very much for pointing out that the problem could be the key GREASE.

Yes, you are right here: There is also used some GREASE with the SX900/700 "FSB" keys. But it's a different specification of grease, called "GRISE BLUE G-1066Y 16KG" (see attached picture).

And to be complete: Also the other Part numbers of the new developed "FSB" keys differ from the "old" keys used in e.g. PSR-1000.

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: capriz_68

computec1349

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger... obviously there is a problem. On a $2000 keyboard this is unacceptable. If there is no noise with the white keys, then it should be the same for the black keys. Yamaha have been building keyboards since the 1960s.  They should know how to do it right by now.

Joe H

Dear Joe H
I'm not shooting the messenger. This forum is for conversing with colleagues who have in common the use of Yamaha keyboards, as I mentioned in the previous post, I worked for an authorized service center, and all PSR-1000-3000 keyboards and the S7 and S9 series have had that detail with grease, several customers reported the problem, but Yamaha's response was "It is a problem of use of the instrument, wear, therefore there was no guarantee"; Customers ended up wasting time and paying for review. So what I recommend is that you let the warranty period pass and when I finish I can advise you to replace the fat with a better quality.

Regards.

Offline ton37

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
The contributions of those who apparently have in-depth knowledge about this (technical) subject are instructive. As a forum, this can be of great benefit. You don't have to agree with each other, but arguing based on knowledge, experience and facts just belongs on a forum. In my opinion, the discussion is conducted well, with respect for each other, thank you for their contributions.  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 09:14:35 PM »
... I'm not shooting the messenger...

Sorry I didn't know your credentials.

So... why hasn't this problem come up before on the forum.  I've been a member for 11 years, and also owned Yamaha arrangers for 30 years and never experienced the problem with noisy keys.

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
... You don't have to agree with each other, but arguing based on knowledge, experience and facts just belongs on a forum. In my opinion, the discussion is conducted well, with respect for each other...

Whose arguing? Everyone here is expressing a point of view.

Joe H

Offline Enildo

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 11:41:32 PM »
They made an advertisement saying that the SX900 had the Tyros4 keybed and a lot of people, just like I believed.
To my unpleasant surprise the black keys started with this noise. I hope you fix this!
It is the first time that I experience this type of problem.
I've had a Psr 510, 520, 540, 3000, s910, s950, s970 and s975 and none of them had this defect.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Totomo

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »
I just compare to my old yamaha HS8 electone, the keybed on hs8 has no noise at all even aged 32 years old.
I also found the black key on sx900 are thin in construction compare to HS8 when I click it with my finger. And it has more left-right moving room than my previous technic kn3000 and Korg Pa700.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »
Those with "clicky" black  keys should contact Yamaha. You'll get a case number, and a good chance your key bed will be repaired or replaced. Do this before your warranty runs out to avoid charges.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Joe H

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:05 PM »
Those with "clicky" black  keys should contact Yamaha. You'll get a case number, and a good chance your key bed will be repaired or replaced. Do this before your warranty runs out to avoid charges.

I hope people will take your advice... since you are a Yamaha dealer.

Thanks!

Joe H

The following users thanked this post: Frankbrathen

kampot

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 04:28:35 AM »

Best regards,
Chris

for me PSR-S series keybed is the ultimate keybed, better then any keyboard or midi controller, for me it’s just the perfect keybed.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
My greetings to all the ladies and gentlemen of this forum!

Last Thursday, I took my SX900 to the Yamaha service center in my city, so they could take a look at the problem of the noisy black keys. Upon arriving at this location the professionals refused to receive the SX900, claiming that this was not a defect and that the yamaha had changed its keys, to this new standard and this would be happening with several models. I argued that when buying the keyboard and when I tried it in a store, before buying, the SX900 did not have any abnormal noise on the keys and was shown to have very good quality keys, but the problem arises after use for more than 30 days, on average, characterizing this an addiction (long-term defect) in the structure of the new keys adopted by yamaha. Before heading to the technical assistance, I sent an email to Yamaha Musical do Brasil, which was answered almost automatically, saying that I would take the keyboard to the nearest authorized Yamaha service. When I was in technical assistance, I explained that this defect was happening with several SX900 keyboards in various parts of the world and contact was made with Yamaha Musical do Brasil, by phone, by one of the professionals, reporting the problem, and to to my surprise the brazilian Yamaha said that it was not aware of this problem and that i was the first person to seek technical assistance reporting this fact. The technical assistance recorded 2 videos showing the noise of the keys and said that it would send to Yamaha Brasil. They also took my phone number and said that "probably" Yamaha would call me, which so far has not. It already has several yamaha keyboards, including cheaper models like the PSR 540, and this is the first time I have bought a PSR with poor quality keys. A music colleague who bought an SX before me, has the same problem. I demand the exchange of all the keys, or replacement of the SX900 or I will file a lawsuit asking for my money back, because if I knew that the keyboard had this problem I would not have bought it. If you intend to buy a SX carefully, this defect will appear after you purchase it with use.

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
Sorry to add this same comment on more than one board.

Enildo

blackpool

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
Just to feedback on this issue Enildo .....as noted on my earlier post, it was not a real issue to me and the 900 seemed ok despite the slightly noisy sharps and flats. Although I have to add I am unable to comment if this would have got worse with wear.

I recently traded down to a new 700 ( which is really in essence the very same board ) and have to say it's just fine, the sharps and flats seem to operate very well and just as good as the white notes.

Keith

Offline Enildo

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
I will wait for Yamaha to contact me to solve my problem, in the next few days, if they do not contact me,
I will send another email and also make a video showing this problem on youtube, to alert other possible buyers of the SX900.
I will also make a complaint on the website "Reclame aqui", which is a Brazilian website for complaints about bad products and services, much visited in Brazil.
And if all this is not enough to solve my problem, I will file a case in the justice of my city.

Enildo

computec1349

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »
I am sorry to disappoint the forum, but these keyboards have always had these problems, it is considered a wear and tear problem, so Yamaha does not give it importance, what you have to do is replace the grease that comes with a better quality and ready.

Regards.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 10:41:27 PM »
I am sorry to disappoint the forum, but these keyboards have always had these problems, it is considered a wear and tear problem, so Yamaha does not give it importance, what you have to do is replace the grease that comes with a better quality and ready.

Regards.

I spent almost four years with the s970 and it didn't. With the SX900 it was only 3 months and the keys are already noisy. If a good grease is needed, let the yamaha take responsibility for the maintenance in your authorized workshops, as the instrument is still under warranty and does not leave the responsibility of the owner.

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
Even if I want to use a good quality grease, I can't, because when I open the keyboard, I lose the warranty. This is what is wrong, it is not my responsibility but the company's. If, when I tried the keyboard, the keys were already with that noise, I would be buying already knowing that it would be like this, the problem is that when buying, the keys were perfect and only afterwards they show that they are of poor quality.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »
Hi,
do all the sx keyboards eventually develop this problem, or only some? Ie is it thru wear and tear, or develops over a period of time.
I haven’t noticed it on mine, because I rarely use the sx keys , I use my p121 piano as a controller.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline martinmoss10

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »
I have my SX900 soon after it came out and all the keys are fine. and i am on it most days. Martin UK.

Offline overover

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
Hi,
do all the sx keyboards eventually develop this problem, or only some? Ie is it thru wear and tear, or develops over a period of time.
I haven’t noticed it on mine, because I rarely use the sx keys , I use my p121 piano as a controller.

Hi Rikki,

with the help of Frank Steinbrecher (frankmusik) and Yamaha Music Europe, based on the serial numbers, we checked the production date of many SX keyboards (worldwide).

Basically only very few SX keyboards are affected by this problem ("clacky black keys"), and we found that all SX models that have been reported to us so far come from completely different production batches / production dates.

We have already discussed the problem with Yamaha Europe. At the moment it looks like the reason for the problem is the key Grease used  (that is applied between the moving parts of the keys). In some cases, this Grease was apparently applied too sparingly.

We recommend that affected users directly contact the Yamaha representative in their country, e.g. via the support form on the local Yamaha website. The ideal thing would be to record a short video (with sound), in which you can see and hear the "clattering" of the keys, and to send this video to Yamaha Support via email.

Normally, an affected keyboard should be repairable by Yamaha within a short time. A complete replacement of the keyboard will only be necessary in very rare cases.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 12:42:18 AM by overover »

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
Thank you Chris,
I gather the clacking must be really bad  for owners to notice, don’t think mine has it, I’m actually in Australia.
Thank you for your explanation.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 12:41:40 PM »
It only happens on the black keys as some have quite a lot of side to side movement and will make a little more noise than the white keys. If it dose not worry you then you should not worry about it.
  Probably people who play very softly or use head phones will notice if they have it.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
Hi Rikki,

with the help of Frank Steinbrecher (frankmusik) and Yamaha Music Europe, based on the serial numbers, we checked the production date of many SX keyboards (worldwide).

Basically only very few SX keyboards are affected by this problem ("clacky black keys"), and we found that all SX models that have been reported to us so far come from completely different production batches / production dates.

We have already discussed the problem with Yamaha Europe. At the moment it looks like the reason for the problem is the key Grease used  (that is applied between the moving parts of the keys). In some cases, this Grease was apparently applied too sparingly.

We recommend that affected users directly contact the Yamaha representative in their country, e.g. via the support form on the local Yamaha website. The ideal thing would be to record a short video (with sound), in which you can see and hear the "clattering" of the keys, and to send this video to Yamaha Support via email.

Normally, an affected keyboard should be repairable by Yamaha within a short time. A complete replacement of the keyboard will only be necessary in very rare cases.

Best regards,
Chris

Hello everybody!
I made a call to yamaha Brazil on the 21st and yesterday they sent me this answer:

Dear Mr. Henyldo,
Yamaha Musical thanks you for contacting us.
Thanks for forwarding the video for a more accurate analysis by our technicians.
After detailed analysis, the technicians identified that this is a characteristic of this key system and there is no non-conformity in their product.
If you have any questions we are available.

I am very sad with Yamaha, because to say that this is normal, is to want to push down a defect in your last PSR product.
If this noise was perceived right away when buying or testing the instrument when new, fine, it would be up to the customer to decide whether to buy it or not, but the problem is only noticed after use for a few months and see that I didn't even have time to play at my events because of the pandemic. I wonder when I use the keyboard for real, playing 2, 3 4 hours straight. The teco-teco (noise) will be great! Then the keys will loosen for good.

Enildo  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Joe H

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
My opinion is that they don't want another "PSR900 Recall"... remember that screen failure? They must have replaced thousands of screens under warranty.  They don't want to go through that scenario again.  It could cost them a bundle of money.  Someone at Yamaha messed up with the new key bed. Either it's poorly designed or the wrong kind of grease.  In any case, it's unacceptable for a company that has been making keyboards for 100 years or more. It's like their launching of the Genos and now the free download website. Both have been a mess!

Maybe its a case of the next generation engineers and marketing folks.  The quality of so much of the physical/hardware merchandise is declining... and maybe; so are the people who produce it and market it.  As a person who has been business for 38 years, the quality of workmanship and service has declined everywhere I look.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:48:02 PM by Joe H »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2020, 11:05:49 PM »
I have a colleague with the same problem with the SX900, he lives about 25km from my city, I think many people will appear. He will also take the keyboard to the authorized service. I will send another email to yamaha responding to this negligence, and if they insist on not repairing my SX that has only 5 months of use, only at home for short trials, I will judicialize the issue. I think the company is silly, because they spent money on lawyers and in the end I am sure that I will win the cause + moral damages for not having done their role of respecting the guarantee of their products.

Enildo
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:07:20 PM by Enildo »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2020, 12:34:53 AM »
From the Owner's Manual, here's what Yamaha says about their quality and what the warranty on the sx900 covers:

Thank you for selecting a Yamaha product. Yamaha products are designed and manufactured to provide a high level of defect-free
performance. Yamaha Corporation of America (“Yamaha”) is proud of the experience and craftsmanship that goes into each and
every Yamaha product. Yamaha sells its products through a network of reputable, specially authorized dealers and is pleased to offer
you, the Original Owner, the following Limited Warranty, which applies only to products that have been (1) directly purchased from
Yamaha’s authorized dealers in the fifty states of the USA and District of Columbia (the “Warranted Area”) and (2) used exclusively in
the Warranted Area. Yamaha suggests that you read the Limited Warranty thoroughly, and invites you to contact your authorized
Yamaha dealer or Yamaha Customer Service if you have any questions.

Coverage:
Yamaha will, at its option, repair or replace the product covered by this warranty if it becomes defective, malfunctions or
otherwise fails to conform with this warranty under normal use and service during the term of this warranty, without charge for labor
or materials. Repairs may be performed using new or refurbished parts that meet or exceed Yamaha specifications for new parts. If
Yamaha elects to replace the product, the replacement may be a reconditioned unit. You will be responsible for any installation or
removal charges and for any initial shipping charges if the product(s) must be shipped for warranty service. However, Yamaha will
pay the return shipping charges to any destination within the USA if the repairs are covered by the warranty. This warranty does not
cover (a) damage, deterioration or malfunction resulting from accident, negligence, misuse, abuse, improper installation or operation
or failure to follow instructions according to the Owner’s Manual for this product; any shipment of the product (claims must be
presented to the carrier); repair or attempted repair by anyone other than Yamaha or an authorized Yamaha Service Center; (b) any
unit which has been altered or on which the serial number has been defaced, modified or removed; (c) normal wear and any periodic
maintenance; (d) deterioration due to perspiration, corrosive atmosphere or other external causes such as extremes in temperature
or humidity; (e) damages attributable to power line surge or related electrical abnormalities, lightning damage or acts of God; or (f)
RFI/EMI (Interference/noise) caused by improper grounding or the improper use of either certified or uncertified equipment, if
applicable. Any evidence of alteration, erasing or forgery of proof-of-purchase documents will cause this warranty to be void. This
warranty covers only the Original Owner and is not transferable.

Joe H

Offline EileenL

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »
I wonder how many people have read this. If you have any problems first port of call is The dealer you purchased from or get in touch with your service department technical advise directly.

computec1349

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »
Hello everybody!
I made a call to yamaha Brazil on the 21st and yesterday they sent me this answer:

Dear Mr. Henyldo,
Yamaha Musical thanks you for contacting us.
Thanks for forwarding the video for a more accurate analysis by our technicians.
After detailed analysis, the technicians identified that this is a characteristic of this key system and there is no non-conformity in their product.
If you have any questions we are available.

I am very sad with Yamaha, because to say that this is normal, is to want to push down a defect in your last PSR product.
If this noise was perceived right away when buying or testing the instrument when new, fine, it would be up to the customer to decide whether to buy it or not, but the problem is only noticed after use for a few months and see that I didn't even have time to play at my events because of the pandemic. I wonder when I use the keyboard for real, playing 2, 3 4 hours straight. The teco-teco (noise) will be great! Then the keys will loosen for good.

Enildo  >:( >:( >:(

I had told them, but they ignored me. Yamaha that's right ...

Offline mikf

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »
It is nonsense for Yamaha to just claim it is 'normal'. It's possible that it occasionally happened with Yamaha keyboards in the past, or that some very small - hardly noticeable - amount of movement is 'normal'. But what people are saying here cannot be 'normal' or we would have seen many posts on this long before now. And it just so happens all the the complaints are about the same model  ??? ??? ??? - sorry Yamaha but engineers don't believe in that kind of coincidence. I never noticed it on any of my Yamaha keyboards including my old psr3k, and believe me I would have noticed if it happened. It has to be a manufacturing or design difference. If they make the keyboard with too much free play in the keys, maybe they can cover that up with new grease - for a while. But as people are seeing here, ultimately it will show up.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
Is there any video or at least anυ audio example to hear how much noise the black keys are producing compared to the white keys?

Computec's explanation looks pretty logical.
When there is a friction, there will be a noise if there is a problem with the grease.
There must not be any annoying noise produced at all by the keys of a keyboard at the level of the psr SX900.

Offline mikf

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
Friction is unlikely to produce the kind of noise and movement people describe. That most likely comes from 'play' in the key fixing point.

Offline samhodgsonpsr

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 09:50:23 PM »
After owning my PSR SX900 for ten days (an expensive 18th birthday present that I bought for myself), unfortunately it has developed this issue, it has appeared on the keys I use most. I have filmed a video for my dealer that shows the problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2NoQyn7VI . Before this issue surfaced, I viewed this thread so I believe I was more paranoid than I would have been otherwise, this allowed me to notice the issue quickly. I am returning my SX900 to my dealer for inspection and hopefully a repair. I am starting to think that this issue is more widespread than previously thought, my dealer mentioned sending a replacement to me and I believe there is a real chance that the same fault would develop so I really would prefer a repair (a reapplication of the correct amount of grease). The keys on my unit sounded fine for the first few days, but gradually got louder. Having previously owned a PSR S750 for 4 years, I admit the keys weren't silent, there was some noise because it had seen a fair amount of use but it was nothing like the noise on the SX900.

In terms of the keybed itself, I am aware that the Electone STAGEA ELB 02, (an electric organ produced by Yamaha that is only for sale in certain regions) has an FSB keybed, whether this is the same one used in the PSR SX700 and 900 I am not sure, but it is possible that the keybed design has been in this ELB 02 (released in 2016) which would make this issue even more puzzling (if Yamaha already has experience with this keybed). Here is the link to the product specifications of that instrument - https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/electone/elb-02/specs.html#product-tabs .

Anyway, whether I receive a repair or replacement unit I will keep this thread updated if there are any more developments. It really is disappointing that these expensive keyboards are developing faults after such a small amount of use.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:10:30 PM by samhodgsonpsr »