Author Topic: New Update  (Read 7004 times)

Offline ckobu

Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: iulistil2

beykock

Re: New Update
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »
Sorry but I have tried several times to install this new SX700 update but apparently I am doing something wrong whilst I am following the installation instructions stricktly.

Installation does not start and the keyboard is telling me it cannot find the USB stick where the unpacked software update is saved.

What am I doing wrong ?
Plse advise. Many thanks !

Babette
The Grateful

The following users thanked this post: iulistil2

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
Hi Babette,

first, I recommend to use a different stick (from a different brand). Some sticks work properly for all normal applications, but can NOT be used for Firmware Updates.

If the problem consists, I would download the Firmware again from the Yamaha site and format the USB stick on the keyboard before copying the unzipped .PRG file to the ROOT directory of the stick.

P.S.
Please be sure that you not accidentally use the Update V1.04 for the SX900. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:25:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, iulistil2

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Sorry but I have tried several times to install this new SX700 update but apparently I am doing something wrong whilst I am following the installation instructions stricktly.

Installation does not start and the keyboard is telling me it cannot find the USB stick where the unpacked software update is saved.

What am I doing wrong ?
Plse advise. Many thanks !

Babette
The Grateful
Yes ... try to use a stick brand recommended by Yamaha and format it in PSR, all the best!

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
Before loading the update on my Memorex USB 1GB via my computer, I first format that USB stick on the SX-900. I use this  stick solely for updates, and always format it first on the keyboard. (Warning: formatting on the keyboard erases any files stored on the USB stick.)

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, iulistil2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
If when you hold down the Stop/Start button and keep it held down when you switch the keyboard on you do not see the install screen are you sure the file is unzipped.
  Make sure this is the only USB you have plugged in and that there is sufficient space on it.

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline reya

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 04:26:51 PM »
Hi Babette

I had this happen to me at least once also on my SX900.
The following worked for me...
While the keyboard is in software update mode, with the usb stick loaded (and stating that it cannot find an update), without switching off the keyboard, just unplug the usb stick, wait a few seconds and plug it back in.

In my case it then found the update, and I was able to start the update process which completed succesfully.

For what it is worth .... I have never formatted any USB stick for update installs on any keyboard (SX900, or Genos, or Tyros or PSR S770). In fact I have always used the same USB stick for all of these keyboards and the latest update files for all these keyboards are still on that same stick (together with some other stuff). This has never caused problems when updating.
But not all usb sticks are the same I guess ...

Good luck!
Rudy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:30:36 PM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »

For what it is worth .... I have never formatted any USB stick for update installs on any keyboard (SX900, or Genos, or Tyros or PSR S770). In fact I have always used the same USB stick for all of these keyboards and the latest update files for all these keyboards are still on that same stick (together with some other stuff). This has never caused problems when updating.
But not all usb sticks are the same I guess ...

I'm with you Rudy. It's seldom the USB stick or the formatting that's the problem. I've mostly used whatever stick I have handy and not encountered any problems. Before I would go to all this work, I would make sure I have the right file in the right place.

I like Chris's idea, Babette. Are you sure you have the SX700 file, not the 900's?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 09:23:56 PM »
And you must have only one USB stick connected to the keyboard when updating.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

beykock

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 04:40:15 AM »
Thank you all for your support and help ! 🎩
Very much appreciated.

I will follow your advise and let you know the final result soon.

Best regards,

Babette
The Grateful

Robertas LT

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »
Hello everyone, greetings from Lithuania.
I have an SX700, I updated to a new software version yesterday, but nothing has changed ... Maybe you know why?s

beykock

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
I followed the exact additional instructions given by other members in previous messages.

The update 1.03 was a real success. :)

Herewith I would like to thank all advisers for their help.

Best regards, Babette
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:02:46 AM by beykock »

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
I have an SX700, I updated to a new software version yesterday, but nothing has changed ... Maybe you know why?s

Hi Roberas,

please go to "Menu > Utility > System (page 1/2)" on your SX700. The Version must be shown as "1.03" there, otherwise the update was not successful.

P.S.
The only real change in V1.03 is the increase of the font size in the Score, Lyrics and Text Viewer displays. And this update also fixes various "problems":

Version History

V1.02 to V1.03
- Increased the font size of the Score, the Lyrics, and the Text Viewer display.
- Fixed a problem in which, under a certain situation, the indication lamps (MIDI indicator) on the Mixer display would not work.
- Fixed a problem in which the Registration Memory function would not work properly in some cases.
- Fixed a problem in which the Audio Song parameters were not properly saved to Registration Memory in certain situations.
- Fixed other problems.

V1.01 to V1.02
- Added a new function: Voice Guide.
- Fixed other problems.

V1.0 to V1.01
- Now supports use with the Yamaha Expansion Manager (V2.5.3 or later).
- The function "Part On/Off" (for the Left, Right 1, Right 2, Right 3 or Mic part) is newly assignable to the foot pedals.
- Fixed a problem in which the detail settings of the "Part On/Off" function for each one of the ASSIGNABLE buttons would not be loaded properly from the Registration Memory or System Backup.
- Fixed other problems.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:44:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 01:51:33 PM »

What were you expecting?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Noteplayer

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
I generally don't like updates of any kind since they always slow things down or mess up the operating system. I'm speaking primarily of computers & smart phones and since I have a new SX700, I'm wondering if  I need the 1.03 update from Yamaha.

Does anyone know that if I don't download this update, will it prevent me from installing future updates or will this version automatically install with a future update?

Lastly, has anyone installed this update & found something really significantly useful?

beykock

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »
I installed it yesterday.
For rgts users it might be an interesting update, I guess.

Babette
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:47:52 PM by beykock »

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
I generally don't like updates of any kind since they always slow things down or mess up the operating system. I'm speaking primarily of computers & smart phones and since I have a new SX700, I'm wondering if  I need the 1.03 update from Yamaha.

Does anyone know that if I don't download this update, will it prevent me from installing future updates or will this version automatically install with a future update?

Lastly, has anyone installed this update & found something really significantly useful?

Hi Noteplayer,

on Yamaha PSR-SX, PSR-S, Tyros and Genos Models, an "Firmware Update" contains the complete System data. (It replaces the previous data). Therefore nothing can become "slower" or "messed up".

Every software has bugs that are gradually eliminated by updates. Often also new features are introduced by a Firmware Update.

In your special case it is relatively easy: If you do not need the increased font sizes of the Score, the Lyrics, and the Text Viewer display and you do not want to have the problems / bugs fixed that are listed in the "Version History", then you don't need to install the update. ;)

However, basically I recommend always to install the latest Firmware on Yamaha Keyboards. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »

The main reason for the update was the increase in font size for text files and scores. If you don't use these, you probably don't need to update.

If you skip an update, future updates always include everything from the past. Skipping the update will not prevent you from installing future updates.

However, your fear of updates is misplaced. Do you think Yamaha issued the update for no reason? They did it because they wanted to improve the user experience. Otherwise they'd be wasting their time, and their users' time.

I always update to the latest version and am happy I have. If the unlikely event happens where I'm unhappy with an update, I just go back to the previous one.

The main reason to update is to ensure you can get help if you need it. If you ever ask for help, the first question you're going to be asked is: Are you running the latest version of the OS? If not, update first, then come back. No one is going to offer to solve your problem without your being on the latest OS version.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Noteplayer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
Ok, I wasn't aware that I could revert back to an old version, so since I can, I will update at some point. You all make valid points.

Thanks.
Bob

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 04:17:19 AM »
I've tried for over a week to download, unzip, attach USB stick (tried 3 different ones over and over/ singly) to download the updated firmware for 1.04 of the PSR SX900. I have a mac running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. I've downloaded the update via Safari and also Google Chrome. The download seems to be correct... unzipped, version PSR-SX900SETUP-.PRG. I've pressed the Styles start/stop key as I used the main on/off switch only to find countless times "Please install start up media." So obviously I'm doing something wrong and the keyboard is not recognizing the Start up Program part to give me a message to press to start install the media to be uploaded. I've tried to read all the various comments here and on the Yamaha website and am trying to do the exact, correct thing. Any help you can be would be SOOOOO appreciated. Many thanks, John

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
The XS900 has 2 USB ports. Have you tried changing ports? Format the USB stick on the keyboard, afterwards transfer only the update prog file to it and try again. Sorry if you already have done that😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

blackpool

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
Hi John - i had problems a while back on another up-date with a Yamaha ..

i must have been having a senior moment....lol
In my case....i had simply forgot to open the unzipped folder and realised i should have copied the 'file' rather than the 'folder' ... sometimes it is as simple as this... I could have kicked myself after scratching my head for ages 
Hope you get it sorted...I would contact your dealer/support if you continue to have a problem

keith

Offline Enildo

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
Hello,

Jhon, try to do the same process with a different USB stick.
In the past PSRs I never had any problems with the pendrives I used, but in the SX900, I had a problem with a pendrive.
Remembering that the file has to be outside any folder on the USB stick.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
I've tried for over a week to download, unzip, attach USB stick (tried 3 different ones over and over/ singly) to download the updated firmware for 1.04 of the PSR SX900. I have a mac running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. I've downloaded the update via Safari and also Google Chrome. The download seems to be correct... unzipped, version PSR-SX900SETUP-.PRG. I've pressed the Styles start/stop key as I used the main on/off switch only to find countless times "Please install start up media." So obviously I'm doing something wrong and the keyboard is not recognizing the Start up Program part to give me a message to press to start install the media to be uploaded. I've tried to read all the various comments here and on the Yamaha website and am trying to do the exact, correct thing. Any help you can be would be SOOOOO appreciated. Many thanks, John

Don’t know if it’s a typo, but there’s no ending dash in the file name. It should be PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG. Could this be the problem?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »
Dear Fred, Enildo, Keith & Toril,
Thank you ALL for your offers of help. I have used 2 different brands of pen drives and have formatted brand new to the keyboard and placed ONLY the upload file to be sure it would be more easily seen and in the root. I have tried both usb ports (one each from the beginning to start the keyboard and then moved the drive from one to the other after the message, "Please insert the media." I think Keith and Fred are probably on the right track in that it MUST be someway I'm handling the download, unzip and copying to the usb media stick. Another member mentioned that he had a problem with MAC Safari automatically unzipping and opening. I am beyond Senior Moment in this and must be doing something wrong. The file downloads as:psr-sx900_v104.zip, I double click to unzip and get the following:
PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG (I'm guessing the 9th time I've downloaded in this series) and when I click on it,
it gives me this: PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG.cpgz. I have tried putting all these (one at a time) on the USB drive and none ever are recognized.
I'm sure this is is a USER error, but haven't a clue how to fix. Again, thank you all for your thoughts and time! Best, John

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Dear Fred, Enildo, Keith & Toril,
Thank you ALL for your offers of help. I have used 2 different brands of pen drives and have formatted brand new to the keyboard and placed ONLY the upload file to be sure it would be more easily seen and in the root. I have tried both usb ports (one each from the beginning to start the keyboard and then moved the drive from one to the other after the message, "Please insert the media." I think Keith and Fred are probably on the right track in that it MUST be someway I'm handling the download, unzip and copying to the usb media stick. Another member mentioned that he had a problem with MAC Safari automatically unzipping and opening. I am beyond Senior Moment in this and must be doing something wrong. The file downloads as:psr-sx900_v104.zip, I double click to unzip and get the following:
PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG (I'm guessing the 9th time I've downloaded in this series) and when I click on it,
it gives me this: PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG.cpgz. I have tried putting all these (one at a time) on the USB drive and none ever are recognized.
I'm sure this is is a USER error, but haven't a clue how to fix. Again, thank you all for your thoughts and time! Best, John

You need to rename the file. It has to be PRS-SX900SETUP.PRG. Delete all other PRG Files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline ton37

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 03:20:33 PM »
TYI:
What is a CPGZ file?
Compressed archive that combines the Copy In, Copy Out (.CPIO) archive format and gzip (.GZ) compression; similar to a .TGZ file, which incorporates both an uncompressed .TAR container and gzip compression; most often used on Unix-based systems such as Linux and Mac OS X.

More Information
CPGZ files may be created when you double-click a .ZIP file in Mac OS X. Upon opening the ZIP file, a new file with the same name but with the ".cpgz" extension is created. Then, when you decompress the CPGZ file, it reverts to the original ZIP file. This loop is caused because the ZIP file is corrupt. It may be corrupt due to an incomplete download or because the original ZIP file was not compressed correctly. To fix this problem, try re-downloading the ZIP file again.

rograms that open CPGZ files on
Mac:   
Apple Archive Utility
The Unarchiver
ditto
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:23:55 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline overover

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 03:34:31 PM »
... The file downloads as:psr-sx900_v104.zip, I double click to unzip and get the following:
it gives me this: PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG.cpgz ...

Hi John,

it is a known problem on macOS that sometimes a .cpgz file is generated when unpacking zip files:

https://www.techjunkie.com/mac-os-sierra-how-to-unzip-a-cpgz-file/

But I can suggest a relatively simple solution: I have uploaded the already unzipped update file "PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG" to my Dropbox (it took some time ;) ).

Just click the link below to download it. (It is best to save the .PRG file on your Mac first and then copy it to the USB stick.)

Note: You don't have to login or register on Dropbox. If a corresponding message should appear, simply close it by clicking on the "X".

>>> (Link deleted - 2022-02-07)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:08:34 PM by overover »

Offline Bill

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
Hi John

The file downloads as:psr-sx900_v104.zip, I double click to unzip and get the following:
it gives me this: PSR-SX900SETUP-9.PRG.cpgz.

The 9 indicates that you have Another 8 files identical on your MAC.  Make sure you delete them all first.
When you have the Finder window open. type 'PRG in the search box on the top R/H side, then delete all the old files.
The MAC will automatically unzip the file.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
Well I cannot EXPRESS how much I appreciate this forum... and most particularly today.... ALL those who weighed in on this particular thread. I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't WANT to update to the latest firmware, and as I'd previously posted, there is NO telling how many hours I spent trying to do it. Bill, you are entirely correct. I DID need to delete ALL the many different downloads. I knew that.. but your suggestion about how to easily find them all to quickly do it was MOST HELPFUL and appreciated. Chris, I cannot thank you enough for making the link available to me (in the correct format) on dropbox. I do have an account and knowing you'd done this gave me the confidence to delete all others, and make sure the file was named exactly as your link. I SO appreciate your time, expertise and generous spirit to help make this as fool proof as possible. Ton70, I think this .cpgs (archived) format was REALLY SCREWING ME UP. I've never seen this before, but the Yamaha file acts differently... auto unzips, and when double clicked gives me that useless item. So thanks for clearing that up. Other mac users may benefit from all of you. And last, but never least, Fred is one of huge heroes here. There's not a day I don't learn something or think of him from his generous lead sheets he's shared. The first comment about the hyphen was my attempt to rename and delete all the various numbers which appear with each additional download. Knowing to remove the number and hyphen was HUGE. I think THAT is why my data was never recognized until everything was perfect... thanks to you all. We have a "liftoff" and I've checked the utility menu to be sure it is 1.4. And it is! I have been lucky enough to have many of the PSR series... and a Tyros 5. For me, the SX900 is about as good as it gets for what I need and do. Again, best to you all... with many thanks to you and all who contribute so much to this forum! John

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:25 PM »
  ...Another member mentioned that he had a problem with MAC Safari automatically unzipping and opening. ...

John, that was me. I used my MacBook Air running Mojave 10.14.6, I have not been able to get Catalina to download and install on this one, different story. Anyway what happened is I clicked on the download link on the Yamaha site and when I went to the downloads folder the file was already unzipped and ready to install??. I did nothing regarding zip and that got me thinking something went wrong. I think it was Chris that gave me the exact byte count to compare and it was good.

I moved it to a clean SX900 formatted USB and had no problems with the update.

Actually I was expecting my kbd to update to a Genos but that didn't happen. ::) ::)

I'm running Catalina on my iMac and having issues with Finale. Apple support has not really been able to help me yet. I'm losing confidence with the 64-bit macOS. Sorry to hear about your issues, hope you get a solution. -Ed L.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 11:33:51 PM »
Problem solved. GREAT! Very happy :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 12:13:25 AM »
Glad we could help.

Hopefully it was worth all the time you spent, if only as a learning opportunity.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ