Author Topic: Lefties ?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline tommac

Lefties ?
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
I am  new to keyboards and have been playing a few months now (T5/76)--I feel like i`m doing okay with learning to play from home BUT I am (very) left handed and I feel that playing the melody with my right is not progressing as it should speedwise     Oh and i have left it pretty late to learn -retirement hobby
For those experienced players I would like to know if they managed to get over this with practice or if there is some way to help with this. Or maybe i`m just being over ambitious for a beginner.
Thanks
Yamaha Genos

Offline Toril S

Re: Lefties ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Hello :) You are expecting too much in a short time. Speed comes with practice, practice and practice! Slow down the style and practice the song in slow motion, then speed up the style gradually. Soon you will be comfortable playing the song faster. And take a break when you are feeling tired. Don't lose the fun! First of all playing has to be FUN. I am never going to be a speedy player, but have great fun anyway :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:37:18 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline tommac

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:30:17 PM »
Yup--think you are right.. I think maybe i`m in too much of a hurry but I am definitely having fun though.  ;D
Yamaha Genos

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:12:54 PM »
Tommac

I am ambidextrous, I don't know which hand to play with LOL! My right hand is better for dexterity and my left for strength. I remember when I went from playing organ to playing piano I had a tough time getting my left hand to do what my right hand could do, instead of just playing chords.
It will take some time to build up speed and flow, with your music. Don't get discouraged. Repetition is the key to building up muscle memory. Play it as much as you can stand and then play it 100 more times. You will get it in time. This isn't something you pick up in an afternoon. Good for you for learning something new for your retirement hobby. Learning any musical instrument, keeps your mind sharp!
Most of all enjoy it, no matter what level you're at!

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
What a business opportunity - left handed keyboards. Why has no-one thought of that. And this opens the door to a whole new world of left handed sheet music as well.
Shark Tank here I come !! ;D ;D ;D
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
Not recommending this of course, but I think Yamaha got there first mikf.

You *can* set the chord recognition area to R and play melodies on L. You'd be limited to one voice on the melody without some MIDI routing tricks though :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »
I am left handed and it did take a while to get used to playing melody with my right hand but it dose come to you. Just try sitting down and just playing right hand part over a few times, and then when you feel OK with it try adding the left hand.
  It will come after practice.

Offline tommac

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
thanks for the above---I`m coping ok with both hands simultaneously ( chords and melody) but just quite slowly.  As you say I guess it will come quicker in time.
 I`m managing to  play a few songs off leadsheets posted on this forum --Going to have some proper lessons after this lockdown though.

Ps I started in middle of February so I guess its not long.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:39:54 PM by tommac »
Yamaha Genos

DonM

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 04:57:04 AM »
Here's me playing my left-handed Korg.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33yHaxKDXQ&t=8s

Offline tommac

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »
Cool--one day maybe
Yamaha Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
Thats me a dollar short and a day late as usual. OK, cancel the Shark Tank ( or Dragons den as it is known elsewhere).
Mike

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
Overover,

That would mess me up so bad after all these years!

Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
I didn’t think this was possible,we had a member in our  keyboard club who used to play with his arms crossed,it looked most uncomfortable but he sounded great, this would have been right up his street.

DonM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Ya'll do know that there are no left hand keyboards.  The videos were reversed when shot with phone/camera in selfie mode.  I posted mine as a joke.  Sorry if it was misunderstood.

Offline Del B

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 06:14:16 PM »
too Funny Don  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »
Aaaaaa you caught me

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
Yes Don, Good one, but those of us who were paying attention spotted the watch on the wrong wrist. 
Mike

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »
That's a dirty trick Don LOL!

Rick D.

DonM

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 07:28:16 PM »
Sitting around "on the bench" with nothing to do makes my aging mind think of devious things.  Lord, I'm ready to go back to work, if you can call it that!

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »
Don,

This Covid thing is getting old. It sure does allow a lot more time to play and think of devious things. I’m sure a lot of people would like to get out of the house and back to work.

Rick D.