Author Topic: master output problem  (Read 4390 times)

pco

master output problem
« on: May 02, 2020, 03:24:14 PM »

Hi, i had tyros 5 and now i have genos. With tyros 5 master output was good but in genos, if the volume is high, it sound distortioned or saturated. if i lower the volume, it sound good.

is it problem or is it normal?

aux outpout sound better and has less distortion.

sorry for my english.

thanks for the replies.

Offline overover

Re: master output problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Hi, i had tyros 5 and now i have genos. With tyros 5 master output was good but in genos, if the volume is high, it sound distortioned or saturated. if i lower the volume, it sound good.

is it problem or is it normal?

aux outpout sound better and has less distortion. ...

Hi pco,

which SPEAKERS do you use? The original "GNS-MS01"?

Or have you connected a mixer or active speakers?

Best regards.
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

pco

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
active monitors: KRK Rokit 5

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:29:22 PM »
Hi pco,

first of all, be sure to use unbalanced cables (TS plugs on both ends), if you make a direct connection (without an additional DI-Box). The Input jack of the "KRK Rokit 5" is balanced (TRS), but the Genos Outputs are unbalanced. Therefore NO symmetrical cables (TRS <> TRS) may be used.

I recommend to set the Volume knob on the "Rokit" to Center position (0 dB) and the Genos Master Volume between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock position.

If distortion can be heard when the Volume on the Genos is turned up, the Volume on the "Rokit" should be reduced further. (In this case, the KRK's Input is likely to distort.)

Please check also your Master EQ and Master Compressor  settings on the Genos: I recommend to set the Master EQ to FLAT and the Master CMP to "Natural". Do not set the Compressor Output parameter or the Gain level of the Master EQ bands too high as this can cause internal digital clipping.

P.S. The AUX Output on the Genos has a FIXED level. It cannot be controlled by the Master Volume dial.

The Line Out MAIN jacks can deliver a maximum signal of +10.0 (±2) dBu (when the Master Volume is set to maximum). On the AUX Out / SUB Out jacks, the signal can be only a maximum of +5.0 (±2) dBu (all values @10kOhm load).

I hope you get the problem under control and can find out at which point in the signal path the described distortion occurs.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:48:33 PM »
I tried the Rocket speakers but much prefer the Yamaha MSP 5 Studio Monitors to me they give a cleaner sound.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:20:16 PM by EileenL »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
I tried the Rocket speakers but much prefer the Yamaha MC 5 Studio Monitors to me they give a cleaner sound.

Hi Eileen,

are you talking about the Yamaha "HS5" Monitors? I don't know a Yamaha "MC 5" model.

By the way: I am very happy with my Yamaha >>> "MSP5 Studio" Monitors (combined with a Yamaha >>> "HS8S" Subwoofer). :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »
Sorry Chris,
  I think I have lock down fever  ;D

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
Sorry Chris,
  I think I have lock down fever  ;D

No problem, Eileen!

At the moment we are all struggling with this exceptional condition due to corona ...

Best regards and stay healthy,
Chris

pco

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 09:28:05 PM »
thank you very much overover.

thank for the replies.

the only thing that works is to lower the master volume of the genos and increase the volume of the rokit to the maximum in order to eliminate distortion.

i thought genos was faulty. its very strange because in tyros 5 the volume i could put it to the maximum.

what change in genos?

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
... the only thing that works is to lower the master volume of the genos and increase the volume of the rokit to the maximum in order to eliminate distortion.

i thought genos was faulty. its very strange because in tyros 5 the volume i could put it to the maximum.

what change in genos?

Hi pco,

according to the technical specifications, the outputs of the Tyros5 are actually a little louder than those of the Genos.

Main Outs / Sub & Aux Outs:
Tyros5: +10.3 dBu / +5.1 dBu
Genos:  +10.0 dBu / +5.0 dBu
(all values ± 2 dBu)

As already mentioned, the actual Output voltage depends on many different factors (e.g. programmed Velocity in Styles / MIDI files, Velocity on the keyboard, set Velocity sensivity and offset in the Voice Set, Part Volumes, offset Volumes, Effect / DSP programming, Master EQ gain , Master Compressor Gain and more).

Important:
Please note that the "Volume" control on the "Rokit" speakers does NOT control the Output Volume, but the Input Sensitivity!

Increasing the "Volume" increases the Input sensitivity (higher GAIN), and the input stage in the "Rokit" overdrives earlier. So you should set the "Volume" control on the "Rokit" rather LOW and turn up the Master Volume on the Genos instead.

As mentioned before: Use only unbalanced TS cables (not balanced TRS). And if you want to use the XLR Input on the "Rokit", the XLR pins 1 and 3 MUST be bridged  to achieve an unbalanced connection to the Genos.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:47:58 PM by overover »

pco

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
than you!.

i will try it and i will tell you.

regards.