Author Topic: Transpose  (Read 3853 times)

Offline adrianed

Transpose
« on: May 06, 2020, 05:36:05 AM »
Hi Folks,
When would you use Transpose ?
Is it when we think the scale goes too low or high
Are we in fact changing the scale
If none of this applies could anyone answer this perhaps silly question just to put me straight
Adrian
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:38:07 AM by adrianed »

Offline DerekA

Re: Transpose
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
One scenario would be that the original was written in a key that is difficult to play, with many sharps or flats. You can get sheet music transposed to a simpler key, then use transpose to make it sound in the original key. Some music just sounds better in the intended key.

Another is when accompanying a singer. If they find the key too high or too low, transpose until it fits their voice. Strong piano players can do this by transposing in their heads, but we are lucky to have a function to do it with no effort 🌝
Genos

The following users thanked this post: adrianed

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
It gives a nice affect to change keys in the middle of a song. Try it.

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
I always like to hit the transpose button when performing a song. Usually this is done on second time bar and adds interest to the song.

whataguy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »
This is the type of information that we should have more of, this is something anyone can use right now. Maybe a special section for this might be a good idea, I have some stuff to share and there's still a lot I can learn. Thank you Rick, Derek and Eileen for planting this seed.  Don in MI

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
Other reasons to use the transpose button could be:

a) A song is written in 2 or more different scales but the melody and the chord progression is the same or nearly the same.
So you don't have to learn to play it in different keys.
Examples of songs like:
Phantom of the Opera (5 different keys, same melody), Caribbean Blue(Enya),Felicita (Al Bano & Romina Power) at the end of the song is one key higher to give more "enthusiasm", etc

b)A composition requires e.g 3 octaves and the sound of the voices you have chosen when you hit the higher keys sound a little "shrilled" and not that good (for example violin voices).
But you really like that combination of sounds.
Then you can transpose the keyboard to a lower key to avoid those high notes.
Of course usually we just prefer to set one of the voices to -1 octave to avoid the high pitch.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 11:52:20 PM »
When for whatever reason you want t lay in one key but have it sound in a different key.

The following users thanked this post: adrianed, mhack

Offline adrianed

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
Thankyou everyone for your reasons for using transpose, you have all been very helpful
Many, perhaps most of us learn in isolation so this keyboard site and its helpful members are an asset to all of us ( as are of course other playing sites Eileen )
Thankyou again friends,
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »
Just wandered Eileen, how much would you move the scale up for a second time round one step or two IE half or full,
Adrian
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:27:49 AM by adrianed »

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
Adrian
I am going to jump in and answer this. Typically simple key changes are 1 semi tone up, and particularly if there is a vocalist this makes sense because to move more than a semi tone might be stretching the vocal range to an uncomfortable point. In an instrumental, of course that is not an issue, but the simple 1 semi tone up also works quite well to give the song a lift. And it is easy to do, another consideration if you are going to use the transpose button, because its a single touch and keep playing in the same key but now the song has moved up a semi tone.
But when playing instrumental you are not restrained by vocal range, so in a sense anything is possible. And 'how' is more important than 'how much'. Players will use transitional chord sequences to lead into a change, --  say you are playing in C, you slip in a chord sequence of C: A7 and now you are into D - a full tone step. Of course that is a bit difficult using the transpose button, so is more likely to be done by an advanced player who will now play in D, not use transpose and play in C.
When nicely done using  2:5:1 type chord sequences, key changes of unusual intervals can also be effective. In a sense there are no rules, its about what sounds good. One song by the 4 Seasons for example changes key about 5 times. But typically- like most other things -  it is best not to overuse key changes.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »
Hello Adrian,
  I usually use  half tone which is just one push on the button. If I am playing in the key of "F" I would transpose and then play a Gm7 C7 and then repeat the song.
  Some people use Intro two for a small bridge in which they transpose. This really adds interest to your playing.

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
Hello Adrian,

The transpose button changes half tone (for each transpose number, +1 means half tone above and -1 half tone below).
Exemple, if your sheet music starts with C chord, and your transpose is +1, the keyboard will sound as C#.

I don't like to use the transpose button, because for me, you must learn and play in the right scale. If the scale/tone changes during the music, just change the way you're playing and the keys you're pressing... But, It's only my opinion.

I was saying that in other thread exactly today. Check at: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55292.0.html

To understand better, I uploaded a Song (The Eagle Will Rise Again) to my YouTube channel. Check the song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z42S55qWqE). It starts left hand arpeggios with five flats scale. By the end, near the time 3:49 of the song, I start left hand arpeggios again, however, with one tone above (not half). I changed the keys I pressed (I transposed by myself). But, if I wanted, I could play exactly in the beggining and used the transpose (+2) button: the keyboard would sound like the same thing.

I personally don't like to use. But it's just my opinion, I respect everyone.

Regards,
Pedro Eleuterio
Brazil
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:40:39 PM by pedro_pedroc »

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
I agree with DerekA, when he said that transpose is very usefull with singers.

Sometimes, you know how to play a song using C scale. But, it's too low or too high for your singer.
Just adjust the transpose to make your singer do his/her best... In Karaoke parties, it is very usefull.

Regards,
Pedro

Offline RONBO

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 07:13:45 PM »
Hello all,

like Eileen I like to move up a half tone if the song agrees with it

It's probably not something you would do on a regular basis because it too can get a bit overdone and boring for the listener.

try this method...... when ready hit the transpose button and play the seventh chord of the key you're playing in for one bar, then start playing the song over again. it is an easy transition to the key change

this works in any key... eg. G7 when playing in C; B flat 7 when in E flat ; D7 when in G , and so on, and so on

have a great day

stay safe

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: adrianed, Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 09:08:21 PM »
Thanks Ron!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline adrianed

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »
Thanks Ron,
You have helped a lot
Thanks Again
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »
Thankyou Eileen,
After having the keyboards for 7 years or so I now understand what transpose can be used for
Best wishes
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »
Hi Pedro,
Of course you are right about learning all the scales and if transpose is used all the time it might  make it very easy not to bother to learn the other scales
At present I find it difficult to remember to play the sharps or flats in some scales
I have sometimes wished that the symbols were written into the sheet music instead then it would be plain sailing
It would also help if the style type was suggested in sheet music, it would save a lot of time
We are all at different levels
Regards,
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 09:59:18 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions Mike,
very helpful
Thankyou again
Adrian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:05 PM »
Thanks everyone! I don't have musical education, so I admit i can't play in every key, so the transpose buttons are my good friends :) But all tips about making the transition sound better are welcome. Skilled players often use several chord changes to make a soft and beautiful transition into the new key. Not so easy when using transpose button, it can be a little too abrupt.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »
Toril,

Try using the break or fill button, and the intro buttons sometimes make nice transitions too.

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
Thanks Rick D😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.