Author Topic: How often do you reach for the Style Control Button?  (Read 4673 times)

Offline YammyFan

How often do you reach for the Style Control Button?
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:57:33 AM »
When I am playing my something on my PSR 750  I have been in the habit of changing to a different button every few bars. There are 4 buttons labelled A B C and D .. I think most of our members probably stay on Button A for the whole of the first verse and the switch to Button B for verse 2 and use Button C for Verse 3 and Button D for Verse 4.
Or, maybe they use Button A for the verse and switch to another button for the chorus [Refrain]
I hoping you will tell me what do you do OR tell me What you think most people do    Thanks.  Yammyfan.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: How often do you reach for the Style Control Button?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »
When I am playing my something on my PSR 750  I have been in the habit of changing to a different button every few bars. There are 4 buttons labelled A B C and D .. I think most of our members probably stay on Button A for the whole of the first verse and the switch to Button B for verse 2 and use Button C for Verse 3 and Button D for Verse 4.
Or, maybe they use Button A for the verse and switch to another button for the chorus [Refrain]
I hoping you will tell me what do you do OR tell me What you think most people do

I do as you surmised. One variation for the full verse, then switch. I tend to use A and B for verses, C for the bridge and D for the chorus. If I switch more often than that the piece is too "busy".

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
I hoping you will tell me what do you do OR tell me What you think most people do  ...

Hi YammyFan,

I recommend not changing the Main Variation (A, B, C, D) too often for each song part.

But you can use different FILL INs: If you press the currently playing Main Variation button again, the associated fill-in for this variation will sound. What you can also do is to press a different Main Variation button and immediately afterwards press the previous one again. Then the fill-in of the other Variation sounds, but you immediately come back to the previous Variation. (The "Auto Fill" button must be switched ON.)

You can also use this technique always when switching to a different Main Variation: First press the current Main Variation button again (to get the fill-in that belongs to the current Variation), and immediately afterwards press the other Main Variation you want to switch to. (Without this technique, so if you switch "normally" to a different Main Variation, always the "wrong" fill-in sounds by default. ;) )

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:11:32 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:58:47 AM »
Chris. That tip is very useful I will start to do that. Thank you.
DGX670

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 10:21:39 AM »
It very much depends on the song.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
Toril is correct  - depends on the song, or maybe more accurately, your interpretation of the song. But as a general rule, novice players get carried away with the arrangers technology and change everything too much, - styles, voices, effects. And they change the thing you should change a lot too little - the notes. Good players mostly make music personal and interesting by what they do with the melody, harmony, timing.
Mike

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »
Toril is correct  - depends on the song, or maybe more accurately, your interpretation of the song. But as a general rule, novice players get carried away with the arrangers technology and change everything too much, - styles, voices, effects. And they change the thing you should change a lot too little - the notes. Good players mostly make music personal and interesting by what they do with the melody, harmony, timing.
Mike
I love this reply to my post.