Author Topic: Variation Effect on multipad changes when changing style  (Read 3009 times)

Offline MusicMan

Variation Effect on multipad changes when changing style
« on: May 02, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
Hi

When I change styles while a multipad is playing, the variation effect (delay) on the multipad goes on or off depending on which style I select. Some styles turn the effect off and other turn it back on.

Is there a way to stop styles from having an effect on the variation effect on a multipad?

Thank You

Offline Joe H

Re: Variation Effect on multipad changes when changing style
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 03:35:11 AM »
... Is there a way to stop styles from having an effect on the variation effect on a multipad?

Thank You

No. You can add the cc94 controller to a Multi Pad, but the MP uses the Variation DSP1 assigned to the style. If the style does not use DSP1 Variation Effect, then the MP will not use it either. There is no way to assign a specific DSP effect to a Multi Pad. In fact, the Multi Pads supporting DSP1 (cc94) is not even documented. It's an undocumented feature.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:36:32 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, MusicMan

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
Additional info: to use the Variation Effect in a Multi Pad you have to set Variation Effect Connection=System. When set to Insertion you may use Variation for a style part but NOT in a Multi Pad.
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
As a slightly different observation,  if you make a multipad by making a midi first containing a voice with an insert DSP added, and then convert to a pad using Padmaker-midi is the DSP preserved in the pad?
I thought it was from SA2 Clarinet pads I made on Ty4 some years ago, since the voice was still as strident as I originally aimed for by using a DSP compressor. But I have not really been able to view the pad in a way that proves to me the DSP is really there and working.
I suppose I could try making a midi with say an obvious sounding Dsp Delay and see if survives the Padmaker conversion, but am wondering whether others have tried something like this already........
John
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:05:15 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:59:11 PM »
No. You can add the cc94 controller to a Multi Pad, but the MP uses the Variation DSP1 assigned to the style. If the style does not use DSP1 Variation Effect, then the MP will not use it either. There is no way to assign a specific DSP effect to a Multi Pad. In fact, the Multi Pads supporting DSP1 (cc94) is not even documented. It's an undocumented feature.

Joe H
I didn't know that Joe - must give it a shot! On SX and Genos the variation effect is shown and assigned separately from the insertion effects (i.e it's not one of DSP1-28) but I think it's still stored with the style.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:58 AM »
DerekA,

I use DSP1 often on custom Multi Pads with specific styles.  I asked Michael Bedesem why he didn't include this with PadMaker-Midi.  His answer was... it would confuse people (since it is undocumented).  In fact; most continuous controllers are supported in Multi Pads, meaning you can add controllers to change the Attack, Release, Filter Cut-off, Resonance, etc for a specific Voice used in a Multi Pad. But be aware that if you change the Voice later on, those continuous controller message values may not work for any other Voice.

One way to test the changes on a Voice used in a Multi Pads is select the Voice for R1 and open Voice Set.  There you can adjust many sound parameters.  When you find some setting you like, you can then duplicate those sound controllers and values in a custom Multi Pad.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: DerekA