Author Topic: Recover expansion pack  (Read 2719 times)

Offline chirath

Recover expansion pack
« on: May 02, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
Dear Friends
I brought user PSR s 970 finaly. it was not used much and still looks new. I did a factory reset and finally noticed the expansion pack was gone. is it possible to recall it?

other thing is, should we use UPS for the main power for this?

please advice me

Thank you

Offline overover

Re: Recover expansion pack
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
... I did a factory reset and finally noticed the expansion pack was gone. is it possible to recall it? ...

Hi chirath,

I guess you ticked ALL items when you executed the Factory Reset (in "System > Reset tab > Factory Reset).

If "Files & Folders" was checked here, the content of the User drive was deleted, including the "Expansion" folder. And that's why you no longer have access to the Expansion Packs.

If you have previously made a BACKUP (System > Backup/Restore tab > Backup) you could load this backup file (.bup) again (with "Restore"). This also restores the content of the User drive and thus also the "Expansion" folder, which contains the Voice Set files, Styles, Registrations, etc. for the individual Expansion Packs. As far as I know, the WAV data of the Expansion Packs are NOT deleted at all by a complete Factory Reset (as in your case), i.e. if the "Expansion" folder were restored, the Expansion Packs should theoretically be available again.

BUT: As soon as you install another Expansion Pack in the future, all previously installed Packs would be DELETED anyway. I.e. you definitely need the installation data for ALL Packs that you want to have on the S970.

If you bought the S970 used and there were paid Packs on it, you should contact the seller and ask him to provide you with the Installation data (if you do not already have it).

If "only" free packs were installed on the S970 before, you can get the Installation data elsewhere (e.g. ask here in the forum).

Use Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) to import and combine the desired Packs (.cpf/.ppf). Then save your original Pack Install file (.cpi/.ppi) to a USB stick, connect the stick to the S970 and execute "Pack Installation".

P.S.
A simple "System Reset" (without deleting any User files) can be performed by holding down the right-most white key (C6) while powering on.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:49:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline chirath

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
Thank you for the update
I'm not much worried about it as it got some foreign drums. Etc

Thank you
chirath

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:52:10 PM »
Thank you for the update
I'm not much worried about it as it got some foreign drums. Etc

Thank you
chirath

Thanks for your quick feedback, chirath!

If you have any questions in the future, especially about the YEM, just "ring up". :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)