Author Topic: Recording songs  (Read 3184 times)

navsail2000

Recording songs
« on: May 01, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »

Hi,

Apologies if this is a rather basic question but I have only just begun using this function and am tearing my hair out.

The problem is that when I try recording what I am playing I only get some parts (or none in some cases) of the accompanying style. I have checked and all of the channels are switched on.

There also seems to be another random problem in that when recording there is a delay (sometimes) when I select a backing rhythm with the foot switch. If I turn record off then the backing comes in immediately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DrakeM

Re: Recording songs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »
I guess we are going to need more information as to what you are currently doing as in what steps are you using to record.
Are you trying to record using the MIDI recorder or the WAV recorder on your keyboard for starters?

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »
More information would be helpful, but the delay sounds like you are recording to midi and starting the accompaniment after you start recording some of the song. That delay can happen due to the midi clock already running and it has to synch the start of the accompaniment.
Hard to guess why the dead accompaniment parts are happening, but are you really sure all channels are on. You need to select style in the mixer to see all the accpmnt. channels.
Mike

navsail2000

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the prompt replies guys and for the information. The midi delay information sounds plausible as it happens after I have started recording some of the song.

As for the missing channels on playback the strange thing is that I can hear that  they are all there as I record but are missing on playback.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
... As for the missing channels on playback the strange thing is that I can hear that  they are all there as I record but are missing on playback.

Hi navsail2000,

maybe you are trying to make a MIDI recording when using an +Audio Style. In this case, you will hear (almost) NO DRUMS when playing back your MIDI recording. This is because Audio cannot be recorded as MIDI data.

When using an +Audio Style, you must use the Audio Recorder to record all parts including the Audio Drums.

You can also try the following: If you are playing back a MIDI recording in which you have used an +Audio style, start the Style playback at the same time as the MIDI Song playback (when the ACMP button is switched OFF). The Style is then controlled by the MIDI file, and you should hear the Audio drums exactly as you did with the previous MIDI recording. If desired, you can record the result simultaneously with the Audio Recorder.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi navsail2000,
If you start the recording without a style is playing, you can use the on board metronome to give you the exact timing of the style.
After the style starts to play, disable the metronome when you have a free hand because it is kind of annoying.

If you need to start playing without a style but the intro of the song is at different tempo or rhythm then you need some luck to find the correct spot where the style should begin.
In that case:
a) you can use your right hand to play any note (so the recording will start) which that individual note,after the recording is done, you will need to set it to volume zero.
b) better do an audio recording.What you hear is what is really recorded.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »
The audio recording will eliminate the problem as Panos says, but then also eliminate the opportunity to multi track or edit the midi before turning into an audio recording. Frankly, I think its bad that they haven't come up with a fix for this.
If the into is being played in rubato, nothing works, - I can tell you from experience the hitting by luck thing is way too hit and miss to be practical.
Mike   

navsail2000

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »
Thanks guys for the comprehensive answers. I will work though them and let you know.

navsail2000

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
Thanks again, your answers were spot on and I now understand the mechanism a lot better.

Thanks also for your patience in what to most people must have been a rather basic question.

regards

Malcolm Hughes