Author Topic: MacOS & SX900 Firmware-Zip  (Read 1901 times)

Offline KeyboardEd

MacOS & SX900 Firmware-Zip
« on: April 30, 2020, 10:42:06 PM »
I need some help with this, Zip or no Zip? What's up...

I went to the Yamaha site for the SX900 firmware update and it shows a Zipped file will be downloaded etc.

Instead of the zip file I expected (I'm on macOS v10.14 Mojave) the file "PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG" @ 284 MB is what downloaded. How do I know/confirm this is the correct file to use?

Offline overover

Re: MacOS & SX900 Firmware-Zip
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:19:33 PM »
Hi Ed,

usually, a zip file is downloaded, and you have to manually unzip it to get the .PRG file.

In your case, for some reason the zip file was unzipped automatically after downloading to your Mac.

Please first check the Properties of the .PRG file: The file size must be exactly 284.629.504 Bytes.

Then copy the file "PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG" to the Root directory of a USB stick. Make sure the stick is empty, or that at least NO OTHER .PRG file is on the stick. Connect the stick to the PSR-SX900 and start the Firmware installation. (Do NOT leave a second stick connected at the same time!)

Please refer also to the "PSR-SX900 Firmware Installation Guide":
https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1279066

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:26:02 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardEd

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »
Thanks Chris,

The file has exactly 284,629,504 bytes. That helps confirm that I have a good download. I've never seen macOS automatically unzip a file before. That gave me pause from trying to load the firmware. I'll get to it and post how things go.

Again, Thank you -Ed L.

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:06:14 AM »
The update went fine. Still have no idea why the file downloaded 'un-zipped' but that does not matter now, it's all good. -Ed L.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »
Hi Ed

The default action for downloading a .zip file in Safari on a Mac is to automatically unzip it after it is downloaded. A folder will be created in your Downloads folder with the name of .zip and the zip’s contents will be within the folder.

If you would rather Safari just download the .zip file and leave if for you to decide what to do:

Open Safari
Click Preferences
Under the General tab, uncheck the option ‘Open “safe” files after downloading’.

Cheers

Chris