Author Topic: Outside gigs (corona-virus)...power pack/batteries for PSR S770 + other pianos.  (Read 2831 times)

joeloss1

Hi Folks (from the UK),
My care home gigs (like many of us) are over for the moment but a few are asking for garden gigs but don't seem willing even to take an electric extension through for powering keyboards etc.....(maybe a bit over-cautious ? although understandable).

Anyhows.....without buying a battery operated amp + maybe piaggero piano.....any ideas for suitable power pack ?
Pianoman Chuck on youtube mentioned Ravpower RP PB14 (old model now) as it has 12v output option....not sure if they do a newer model with 12v.
Any ideas welcome.
John (in sunny Worthing,UK).

Offline paulcdb

I guess it depends how confident you are with batteries.

I have a small 24v solar setup that I use to charge my laptops, phone and stuff but it would work the same for a portable battery. You can get 7S BMS's (battery management systems) and could make a nice portable system.

Batteries
7S BMS
DC to DC converter

I tried 4S but found 7S worked out better for solar but either way you want the DC to DC converter just to keep 12v's going to the keyboard.

Then to charge them you'd just need a power supply that can output ~30v.

I currently use an inverter for my S970 but I'm ordering a DC-DC convertor so I don't have to mess with stepping up the voltage only to drop it again.

There's also plenty of cheaper options Like this
Although they depend on the battery which aren't usually that good. At least with DIY you know whats going in it.

but don't seem willing even to take an electric extension through for powering keyboards etc.....(maybe a bit over-cautious ? although understandable).

Sadly common sense is heading to extinction which covid seems to have made worse. Plugging in an extension doesn't suddenly mean you're going to catch it. If you're doing an event, you're the risk not the extension! A breeze is more likely to transmit it between people.

So yes, you do what you can to minimise the risk like wiping down the plug/cables but if your that worried why even have a party!  :o

I read a story yesterday where some are now linking it to Bill Gates wanting to secretly chip everyone! Just...  ::)

Offline MarkF_48

I bought one of these to power a QSC CP8 PA speaker and it does a good job. I've run the PA for over an hour with it, so I don't think it would be problem for it to power the S770 for as long or more. Not sure they make a model for UK voltage and frequency(?). I also use this power pack as a backup source for my CPAP if the power should go off. It's handy to have around even if not for music gear.
BEAUDENS Portable Power Station, Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery LiFePO4, 2000 Cycles, 10 Years Life
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPYSN3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline travlin-easy

You are far better off if you purchase a DC/AC Inverter, which is inexpensive and will provide all the power needed  using nothing more than a small tractor or motorcycle battery. I have used this many times in the past with excellent results. I purchased one for my sailing yacht, a 2,500-watt inverter, and ran my oxygen generator, keyboard, Bose L1 Compact amp, flat screen TV, PC and interior lights. Worked like a charm and only cost me about $100 US. For just running the keyboard and an Bose L1 Compact, you can get one for under $50. US.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Al Ram

You are far better off if you purchase a DC/AC Inverter, which is inexpensive and will provide all the power needed  using nothing more than a small tractor or motorcycle battery.

Gary,
this is a great idea.   One question . . . . the small tractor/motorcycle battery . . . does it need to be connected to the tractor or battery ? and running ? or just the battery itself in stand-alone mode will do the job ?   of course as long as it is previously charged . . . .

thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline MarkF_48

Preferably you would want a 'deep cycle' type of battery which have thicker plates and are designed to be discharged and charged many more times than a standard automotive type battery.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

Figure in the cost of a charger as well.
I have a couple of these that I use to charge and maintain a tractor battery and a deep cycle trolling motor battery. They work well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following users thanked this post: Al Ram

Offline travlin-easy

I just used a standard, tractor battery, it held up for about 4 years, charged it with a $12 trickle charger from Harbor Freight Tools. If you keep a battery charged, and the fluid levels full, they will last 4 to 5 years. Deep cycle batteries, which I had on my boat, were quite expensive and overkill for these jobs. The best deep cycle battery is a golf cart battery, which I also had on my boat and they held up for 8 years before I had to replace them. They cost me about $125 each. The tractor battery was less than $35 and was more than sufficient for a 2 to 3 hour show. When I came home, I merely connected it to the trickle charger and let it charge overnight until the specific gravity read 1.275.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Al Ram