Author Topic: Tyros 5 Cubase Start Stop  (Read 3920 times)

Tyros 5 Cubase Start Stop
« on: April 27, 2020, 05:04:33 PM »
Hi all, a quick question if I may for any MIDI guru's out there. I have my Tyros 5 connected to a windows PC running Cubase, connected via the USB. I can record tracks OK in Cubase, and worked out how to record a style and split into tracks using midi dissolve etc so that's all fine. Now what would be very handy is to have some control over Cubase using the Tyros keyboard. Just the start stop buttons would be extremely handy, but I just cant find a way. So to help or stop my eternal head scratching, is there a way that you can start/stop Cubase 10 using the start/sync start/ stop buttons on the tyros when connected via USB please? If not I will stop fiddling!! lol
Thanks all 
Retired IT

Offline ckobu

Re: Tyros 5 Cubase Start Stop
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
I couldn't find how to start recording on Cubase from Genos. Maybe someone knows here, so let us know.
That's why I use the free and excellent Cacewalk for recording.  ;)

https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI?t=327
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:16:37 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: MrSteveVee

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I assume that you can start/stop cakewalk using the Genos keyboard in cakewalk so I shall check out the link

thanks
Retired IT

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »
Hi MrSteveVee,

with Cubase PRO, the "MIDI Machine Control" (MMC) can be enabled in the Synchronization Setup Dialog. Look here for the procedure in Cubase 9:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/synchronization/synchronization_project_synchronization_dialog_machine_control_input_source_r.html

On the Tyros 5, transmitting of SysEx must be switched on (Function > MIDI > Edit > Tab "System" > Message SW > SYS/EX. Tx: ON). This is automatically the case if one of the standard MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" is used.

That's how it should work.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:13:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'll have a look in the morning. I only have the Cubase Elements version so hope its not a "pro" only setting, fingers crossed..

Much appreciate your help

Steve
Retired IT

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'll have a look in the morning. I only have the Cubase Elements version so hope its not a "pro" only setting, fingers crossed..

Much appreciate your help

Steve

Thanks for your quick reply, Steve!

With Cubase 9, unforunately this setting is only available in the PRO version (not in "Artist" or smaller versions). Maybe they changed this with Cubase 10 ...

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Janus

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 01:19:51 AM »
You have to use the midiclock
Set in midi setup the clock extern on the keyboard
In cubase intern
When you start in cubase the keyboard starts also
perhaps you need to use the startstop on the keybord once
the keyboard don't start but will wait on cubase to start

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
Thanks Janus but it was the other way round that I was looking to solve, where Cubase waits for the Keyboard to start

Cheers anyway
Steve
Retired IT

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Steve!

With Cubase 9, unforunately this setting is only available in the PRO version (not in "Artist" or smaller versions). Maybe they changed this with Cubase 10 ...

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, unfortunately you are correct, it is not available in the Elements (or other) versions , only the pro version. However this is all good info for me as I now now how to do it and also that I cannot do it using my setup so I will stop fiddling with it and go back to the old fashioned way of pressing keys manualy lol.

Again, appreciate your time and help
Steve
Retired IT

Janus

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks Janus but it was the other way round that I was looking to solve, where Cubase waits for the Keyboard to start

Cheers anyway
Steve
its simple
set cubase midi clock extern
set the keyboard midiclock intern
set "start" and with midi record "record" "start" in cubase-cubase waits on the keyboard start
Or sync start  you have to try the best way
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:03:53 PM by Janus »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »
its simple
set cubase midi clock extern
set the keyboard midiclock intern
set "start" and with midi record "record" "start" in cubase-cubase waits on the keyboard start
Or sync start  you have to try the best way

Hi Janus,

have you tried / tested this yourself (with CUBASE)?

To my knowledge, CUBASE can NOT be a "MIDI Clock" Slave (but only a "MIDI Time Code" (MTC) Slave). But unfortunately, Tyros5 can send only "MIDI Clock" (not MTC).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:03:16 PM by overover »

Janus

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »
Yes on an older version of cubase more than 10 years ago
Now i use xgworks and it has a midiclock
Did you had a good look in cubase a midi clock is a standaard midi functie

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »
Yes on an older version of cubase more than 10 years ago
Now i use xgworks and it has a midiclock
Did you had a good look in cubase a midi clock is a standaard midi functie

I actually don't use Cubase myself, but I searched intensively on Google.

But unfortunately I could not find any confirmation that Cubase can work as a MIDI Clock slave. The Cubase instructions only describe the setup as an MTC slave. One would have to try whether Cubase also responds to MIDI Clock and received Realtime Messages (Start, Stop, Continue) with this setting, but I am afraid that this will be not the case. The feature "MIDI Machine Control Input", I mentioned in my Reply #3, is available on Cubase PRO versions only.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:34:24 PM by overover »

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 10:38:45 PM »
Hi chaps, sorry only just caught up on the messages. Janus, yes I did try that thanks but it did not work, Cubase just sits and waits and appears to take no notice of the Tyros start/sync start.  It appears that Cubase Elements only has MTC but not MMC and it is as per what Chris said, only available in the pro version and that costs a lot more pennies.

As I am only doing this for enjoyment it is not a big problem, I shall just use the mouse and buttons 

Thanks all for your help
Steve
Retired IT