Author Topic: PSR E443 Bright Piano Voices  (Read 3119 times)

Preset

PSR E443 Bright Piano Voices
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:41:28 AM »
I wanted to know other people's thoughts on the Bright piano sounds on the PSR E443.  I've started to teach my self to play I'm So Excited by the Pointer Sisters.  I've had the sheet music for years. And on the odd occasion have had a go at at it.  Just decided to have a real crack. 

Anyway.  I've seen a couple of Youtube piano covers and downloaded midi and installed set up on my keyboard as  Song via a USB stick.  So it uses the Bright piano sound.  The XG Lite voice 304.  I find I need to increase the voice volume.  I really notice the difference between the XG Lite version and the main version, voice 3.  Watching those Youtube videos.  The pianos the two guys used sound very much like the XG lite voice on my keyboard.

Is it just me?  Does the main Bright Piano voice have too much sustain or twang or something?

Offline SciNote

Re: PSR E443 Bright Piano Voices
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52:37 AM »
I know on my PSR-E433, the previous model to the E443, the XGLite voices are low in volume -- some absurdly so.  While the XGLite voice set does provide a number of useful sounds, you almost always have to boost the volume to use them -- and adding some chorus and reverb also often helps fatten up the sound.  I think Yamaha corrected this on the later versions of the keyboard, such as the E453 and E463.

Usually, the main "panel voice" version of a sound that is duplicated in the XGLite set will sound better and fuller than the one in the XGLite set.  But with either of the voices -- either the main panel voice version or the XGLite version -- one of the great advantages of these keyboards is that you have the filter function, so that if it sounds too "twangy" to you, it is possible to reduce the filter cutoff or resonance to see if that makes the sound more to your liking.

I know I used to use the bright piano voice a lot, but then when I listened to some of my old recordings where I used that sound, it seemed a little too "heavy", and so I'm now leaning more toward the grand piano, but with a little reverb and chorus, and the ability to brighten it a LITTLE with the filter settings if need be.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Preset

Re: PSR E443 Bright Piano Voices
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »
Today I found that when I use the standard grand piano (1).  If I turn the dial for cut-off, to the right.  I pretty much gives the same sound as Bright Piano (3).  A slight difference with the reverb. But I'd just use voice 3 if I did intend to use the Bright Piano in the first place as it's standard setting.  In terms of adjusting the Grand Piano voice.  Yes you can perhaps apply less cut-off and adjust other things like reverb and chorus. 

I have ran voice sounds from Fruity Loops on my computer via midi and voice through the keyboard.  Using the Yamaha data list for my keyboard.  I was able to adjust the voices so they give either a more fuller sound or to sound like the main voices.  Instead of the standard XGlite voices. 

I do think for piano sounds, both acoustic and electric.  The PSR keyboards would be pretty ordinary.  Nothing compared to say the CP4 stage or MX88.