Author Topic: Harmony voicings  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Luluc

Harmony voicings
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi all,

What is the difference between the harmonies Country duet 1 and Country duet 2 ? They both have the harmony above the melody note, and so ?

In general, where can we find the detail of the voicings of all the harmonies proposed in the Genos ?

Luluc,
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline mikf

Re: Harmony voicings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
I dont think they publish the details of the differences. You probably just need to listen and work out for yourself which does what.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
... What is the difference between the harmonies Country duet 1 and Country duet 2 ? They both have the harmony above the melody note, and so ?

In general, where can we find the detail of the voicings of all the harmonies proposed in the Genos ? ...

Hi Luluc,
in the "Keyboard Harmony/ Arpeggio" window, touching the "gearwheel" icon    (detailed settings) calls up the detailed settings popup window for the selected Harmony, Echo or Arpeggio Type.

Have you already tried that?

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
Why not record a short MIDI song using the two harmony types, then play it back using the score viewer. You will see the actual hamony notes that were generated.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
Chris, the Settings window does not give more detail on the harmony notes. It allows you to set things like harmony volume, voice harmonized, etc. It's the same for all harmony types.

Luluc, I did what Derek suggested, and recorded a midi of 8 notes of each harmony type with a chord of C. Here are the results:

C D E F G A B C (melody)
E G G C C C E E (Duet1)
E G G A C C D E (Duet2)

As you can see, Duet1 will always harmonize with a note of the chord, Duet2 will sometimes use other notes, especially if it can do a 3rd.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Nuttall

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
Chris, the Settings window does not give more detail on the harmony notes. It allows you to set things like harmony volume, voice harmonized, etc. It's the same for all harmony types.

Luluc, I did what Derek suggested, and recorded a midi of 8 notes of each harmony type with a chord of C. Here are the results:

C D E F G A B C (melody)
E G G C C C E E (Duet1)
E G G A C C D E (Duet2)

As you can see, Duet1 will always harmonize with a note of the chord, Duet2 will sometimes use other notes, especially if it can do a 3rd. ...

Hi Fred,

thank you for your test and describing the differences between the Country Duet 1 & 2 settings!

(I don't have my Genos here right now, so I couldn't look it up. ;))

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:40:12 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »
Thanks Fred for valuable information.

It is a pity that Yamaha don't give details about the harmonies. They of course know the details and the end user has to make some tests with  MIDI files to understand what are the differences, and to do that for all kinds of harmonies...

Luluc
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:10 PM »
It is a pity that Yamaha don't give details about the harmonies. They of course know the details and the end user has to make some tests with  MIDI files to understand what are the differences, and to do that for all kinds of harmonies...

I agree with you. I've always wanted to know the difference, and your post prompted me to look into it. However, there are lots of others that more ambitious souls could look into like Block1 and Block2.

A manual would be so much easier.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:53 PM »

Hi Luluc,

you don't have to record MIDI files. I think in most cases it will be enough to decide "by ear". :)

So, just play a short melody phrase or a scale that matches the chord you are playing (and toggle the Harmony presets). You should be able to hear immediately which preset best fits a given song.

Best regards,

Chris

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 03:37:26 AM »
Knowing the ‘formula’ might be interesting, and the midi/ score idea was a very  clever way to find out. But it’s more interesting than helpful, because the only way to decide what you like would be to listen to them.
Mike