Author Topic: How do you to get CC0 CC32 PC numbers for expansion voices  (Read 3642 times)

Offline MusicMan

How do you to get CC0 CC32 PC numbers for expansion voices
« on: April 19, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
Hi

I'm using Genos as a sound source in Sonar and Cakewalk. I want to create instrument definitions (patchlists) for the Voices in expansion packs so I can use those voices more easily in Sonar.
To do this, I need the CC0,  CC32  PC numbers for each voice in my expansions.

Does anyone know how to extract this data from expansion voices?

Thank You

Offline overover

Re: How do you to get CC0 CC32 PC numbers for expansion voices
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »
Hi MusicMan,

I recommend taking a screenshot of your Bank Select LSB table in the YEM first (click on "My Packs", then on the ">" sign, and select "Bank Select LSB").

Then CLOSE the YEM and use >>> "YEM-CE" (YEM Content Explorer) to make a detailed Voice list of your Expansion Packs:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg417847.html#msg417847

Download YEM-CE V2.1.1 here:   https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yem-ce-version-history.html

Open YEM-CE, click on "Options > Export for IDL Editor > Voice from all Packs" and select the desired folder to save the Voice list. The file is automatically named "IDLExportAllPacks.txt".

Open this (tab separated) TXT file in "Editor" (Notepad) or e.g. in a spreadsheet program like "Excel". You will find a detailed list with the columns:
Pack name -- MSB (= CC0) -- LSB (= CC32) -- PC -- Voice name

Unfortunately, the YEM-CE can currently only read the Voice numbers of non-encrypted Packs. But you can have the numbers of ALL Expansion Voices displayed directly on the Genos: In the Voice Selection display, touch the "Menu" sign and then "Voice Number" (refer also to page 34 in Genos Reference Manual).

Important: The MSB and LSB numbers are always absolute, but the Program Numbers in the Voice Selection display, in YEM-CE and also in the "Edit Program Change" window of the YEM are in the range of 001 ... 128. So you have to subtract the number 1 from the given Yamaha Program Change number to get the MIDI Program Change which is required in your MIDI Sequencer / DAW (0 ... 127).

P.S.
Usually, Expansion Normal Voices have MSB 63 and Expansion Drum Voices have MSB 62, but in some Packs (e.g. Premium Packs), Voices can also have MSBs other than 63/62.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:32:57 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
When I go to my expansion voices in Genos the LSB,MSB and Prog changes display in the boxes for each voice, as they also do for the preset voices, eg. the Revo drumkits,

John

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
When I go to my expansion voices in Genos the LSB,MSB and Prog changes display in the boxes for each voice, as they also do for the preset voices, eg. the Revo drumkits,

John

Hi John,

yes, the Voice numbers are shown next to each Voice in the Voice Selection display. But only if this feature is switched ON (as mentioned above). ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:10:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
Hi MusicMan,

I recommend taking a screenshot of your Bank Select LSB table in the YEM first (click on "My Packs", then on the ">" sign, and select "Bank Select LSB").

Then CLOSE the YEM and use >>> "YEM-CE" (YEM Content Explorer) to make a detailed Voice list of your Expansion Packs:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg417847.html#msg417847

Download YEM-CE V2.1.1 here:   https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yem-ce-version-history.html

Open YEM-CE, click on "Options > Export for IDL Editor > Voice from all Packs" and select the desired folder to save the Voice list. The file is automatically named "IDLExportAllPacks.txt".

Open this (tab separated) TXT file in "Editor" (Notepad) or e.g. in a spreadsheet program like "Excel". You will find a detailed list with the columns:
Pack name -- MSB (= CC0) -- LSB (= CC32) -- PC -- Voice name

Unfortunately, the YEM-CE can currently only read the Voice numbers of non-encrypted Packs. But you can have the numbers of ALL Expansion Voices displayed directly on the Genos: In the Voice Selection display, touch the "Menu" sign and then "Voice Number" (refer also to page 34 in Genos Reference Manual).

Important: The MSB and LSB numbers are always absolute, but the Program Numbers in the Voice Selection display, in YEM-CE and also in the "Edit Program Change" window of the YEM are in the range of 001 ... 128. So you have to subtract the number 1 from the given Yamaha Program Change number to get the MIDI Program Change which is required in your MIDI Sequencer / DAW (0 ... 127).

P.S.
Usually, Expansion Normal Voices have MSB 63 and Expansion Drum Voices have MSB 62, but in some Packs (e.g. Premium Packs), Voices can also have MSBs other than 63/62.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

Thank you. Yes, your method worked perfectly. I made an instrument definition (Patch list) for the Expansion:"Best of EDM and Trance" by the developer: Styles2PSR". There are great EDM voices in this expansion. Now I can select them in Cakewalk by patch name.

I downloaded the latest version of YEM CE 2.1.1. In an earlier post someone mention that a future version of  YEM CE  would be able to extract the audio data files (as wav ?) from expansions.  Do you know if that is possible with version 2.1.1?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
... Open YEM-CE, click on "Options > Export for IDL Editor > Voice from all Packs" and select the desired folder to save the Voice list. The file is automatically named "IDLExportAllPacks.txt"...

Chris

Does that mean the Voice Definition file format for Sonar/Cakewalk is the same as StyleMagic?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
Does that mean the Voice Definition file format for Sonar/Cakewalk is the same as StyleMagic?

Joe H

Hi Joe,

NO, the .INS format (Instrument definition file for Sonar/Cakewalk and PSRUTI) is completely different from the format used for StyleMagic.

But currently the YEM-CE can export only two different Voice list formats, and the second one (.dat, used for MixMaster) does not list the Packs in which the voices are located. For this reason, I recommeded to use the first export option ("Export for IDL Editor").

Two Examples:

1. List generated with YEM-CE using "Export for IDL Editor":

FM Xpanded   0   63   10   1   The Champ
FM Xpanded   0   63   10   2   The Hero
FM Xpanded   0   63   10   3   Lovely Tines
FM Xpanded   0   63   10   4   Classic SY99

(I don't know, what the FIRST number (0) is for... ;))

2. List generated with YEM-CE using "Export for MixMaster":

The Champ;063010001
The Hero;063010002
Lovely Tines;063010003
Classic SY99;063010004

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:28:19 PM by overover »