Author Topic: XGWorks - Genos Instrument Definition?  (Read 13440 times)

Wil5560

XGWorks - Genos Instrument Definition?
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »
Sorry if this question has been raised before....I could not find it yet through the search function.

So my question is for those still using XGWorks, do you also have the Genos instrument definition data to be installed and used with XGWorks?

thanks for your replies and help

beykock

Re: XGWorks - Genos Instrument Definition?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:42:01 AM »
I am afraid the XGW Genos patch will never be made ... but ... who knows. ;)
Install the Tyros5 Voice List patch instead. That might help you out.

Wished there was an XGW update for modern Yamaha arrangers.
I am almost sure that dream will never come true unless somebody out there is willing to make a brand new program with XGW features and applications.
A CRY IN THE DESERT;)

XGW is the best midi sequencer ever made for Yami arranger keyboards.
Aber ... das war einmal.

Good luck, Babette
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:09:10 AM by beykock »

Offline metcam

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

The following users thanked this post: Runner4Fun, vanzee

Janus

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »
I am afraid the XGW Genos patch will never be made ... but ... who knows. ;)
Install the Tyros5 Voice List patch instead. That might help you out.

Wished there was an XGW update for modern Yamaha arrangers.
I am almost sure that dream will never come true unless somebody out there is willing to make a brand new program with XGW features and applications.
A CRY IN THE DESERT;)

XGW is the best midi sequencer ever made for Yami arranger keyboards.

Aber ... das war einmal.

Good luck, Babette
\
The only thing you can do
Take a look how the tyros 5 ini is build
Take a look on the Genos voice list
Add the missing voices to the Tyros 5 ini

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 03:44:45 PM »
Go for Cubase and you will not look back
Even VST  will put you  to the Skies is the limit!!
Just have to spend a few pennies :) ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

beykock

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
Hi John :

It is not so easy to compare XGWorks with Cubase.
Two completely different DAWS though.

It is hard to understand why Steinberg never updated XGW but maybe legal ( copyright ?) rules might be the reason since
XGW originally has been made by a third party and not by Yamaha, one said.

Babette

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
Hi   babette

Cubase is daunting at first ,but after a few weeks it gets better and then you learn day at a time .
It has taken me six months to get used to Cubase .
You make a song on the Genos sequencer and import it to cubase ,change track properties to match the Genos  and it is all go
All daws are similar . It is just getting used to something new which frightens people
Cubase is far better than XGworks
Cubase has a control room also and you can use that to compare original songs to your own when mixing and get the right LUF's -14db to master for the internet sites as they regulate the loudness  of songs today.
Yes , i have had a few four letter words at Cubase , but it is usually pilot error ::) :P :D ;D

My bug bear is Mixing and mastering , but slowly i am getting there at 69.
Have three songs shortly to show , Mr Blue Sky , Going Loco In Acapulco and Free's My Brother Jake.
Just in final stages of mixing them.
I am doing these sort of tunes to get the experience to write my own which is the next step for me hopefully.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:04:45 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

beykock

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 10:59:03 PM »
Hi John :

IMHO XGWorks is the best MIDI Daw ever made for Yahama arranger keyboards.

Babette

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 01:00:19 AM »
Hi Babette
We cannot live in the past .
I was mad when Native Instruments stopped updates for Pro 53.
We have to move on and now have Arturia collection  as a Covid 19 stay indoors present to myself.
Cubase is great with Genos. So many things to learn inside.
Start off with the basic version and see how it goes.
I bet soon that my Focusrite first edition sound box will go downhill when Windows updates and no more new drivers are made. Ok at the moment.
Everything these days is time lasted for so many years and then bonk . It goes down!! ;D ::) Profits for the companies.

All the Best
John :) Keep walking on Sunshine 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:16:31 PM by ugawoga »

beykock

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 06:24:38 AM »
You are absolutely right, John, I am living in the past but ... I love it ! The good old times ! 😀

Best regards, Babette

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:23 PM »
Hi
I am 69 "Back To The Future " for me!!! :)

Offline Oldden

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »
Just a link I found on the net.
Seems to work but not tried opening files.Very  Old stuff, so is it legal or not ?

http://happyharry.net/yamaha/xgworks/

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, pieterpan

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
Hi Oldden,

Try to downlaod these files mentioned on this page - but none of them are good. Is there a solution to get the proper files?

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Online ckobu

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Runner4Fun

Offline Oldden

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 01:26:20 PM »
Hi,
The link was an old one I had saved from a long while ago. If I remember I downloaded and used the pro version, so I’ve no idea what has changed but as I say it’s old. Never tried this time to extract the zip files as I’m using an iPad and before it was windows 7 or even an older Windows so there is no chance. Someone might know a solution if there is one.
Oldden.

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
Hi,

It's a pitty but thanks for the reply.

Regard <> Piet

Offline Oldden

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »
Not tried , no point on a iPad, but seen a possible link...

https://archive.org/details/YamahaSOL2

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
Hi Oldden,

This time the download works - thanks a lot for your effort.

Have a nice weekend, regards <> Piet

Offline Oldden

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 07:20:57 PM »
Hi Pieter,
Just a bit of info for you.
If you decide to install SOL2 . Install it from the sol directory not from the main one. It’s easier.
You will get three boxes which you have to fill in, the labels will be in Japanese. You type in in English.
Top box ......a name.....any name.
Middle box....company name......optional.
Bottom box......serial number.

Not looked at it for a very long time, but if I remember. It’s in English.
Best of luck if you try it.

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:37 AM »
Oldden - Thanks for the tips.

Offline C-clef

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
The zip file uncompresses into three files.

Two of them are .iso files, i.e. CD images, and for best results should be burnt to CDs.
Then, once loaded into your CD drive, the contents can be seen.
The installation can then take place, as Oldden has described, from the first CD.

The third file, a .txt file, contains the serial number.
How this got into the public domain I don't know, but once released to one, it's obviously made the rounds around the world.
I know, via the internet, the original owner of this copy of the program, and it's the copy of SOL2 that I use from time to time.

The program dates back form around 2003, i.e. before Windows 7, 8 or 10, and it's therefore to be recommended that you install it, and run SOL2, in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Since it's only from the early part of the century, it doesn't contain any of the .ini files for Yamaha keyboards, pianos, etc. from beyond this period.

Hope that's of some help?

Colin.

P.S. If you have problems with creating CDs from the iso files, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do!  ;-)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:07:22 PM by C-clef »

Online overover

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
Hi Colin,

thanks for your suggestions!

A little addition: On Windows 10 and 8/8.1, iso files can be mounted directly (as a virtual CD drive): Just double-click on a iso file to mount it (or right-click on it and select "mount" from the context menu):

>>> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/mount-an-iso-image-in-windows-vista/amp/

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline C-clef

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »
Thanks for that tip, Chris, didn't know that.
I'm still on Win 7 pro (x64).

BTW, there's a bit of info on the program and what's in it, and about installation over at the MIDI tutorials site, here:
https://midi-tutor.proboards.com/board/25/sol2

The posts made by Henry are full of information, plus a description of installation.

Colin.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »
Just a link I found on the net.
Seems to work but not tried opening files.Very  Old stuff, so is it legal or not ?

http://happyharry.net/yamaha/xgworks/

Has anyone successfully opened any of these zip files? I get a message when trying to unzip any of these files that they are not archive files. Iv'e tried with WinRAR and 7zip.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:08:22 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Janus

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
I Have Win 10
I can open the Files

I did try it first on win 7 and get the same fault
Gr.Jan

Online overover

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »
Has anyone successfully opened any of these zip files? I get a message when trying to unzip any of these files that they are not archive files. Iv'e tried with WinRAR and 7zip.

Joe H

Hi Joe,

these are either deliberately created FAKE files or files that have become corrupt for some reason.

I downloaded three of these files (one PDF and two ZIP files) and opened them in a HEX editor: The files only contain a huge amount of empty (00) hex bytes (and of course you can NOT do anything with them) ...

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »
I Have Win 10
I can open the Files

I did try it first on win 7 and get the same fault
Gr.Jan

I just tied again on my Win10 machine with WinZip; I get the same message... these are not an archive file. The pfd manual and XG font file DO open correctly though.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
Hi,

I use W10, downloaded the files and no problems unpacking the archives and the ISO files. There's nothing wrong I suppose.

Regards <> Piet

Janus

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
I just tied again on my Win10 machine with WinZip; I get the same message... these are not an archive file. The pfd manual and XG font file DO open correctly though.

Joe H
Don't use winzip
Just start the file with the Mouse
The file opens copy those files to an  empty dir
An iso file is a file to write on a Cdr
After writing you can open the cdr and see the files

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:58:12 PM by Janus »

Offline C-clef

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 04:35:38 PM »
I think we're talking at cross purposes here.

The files at HappyHarry.net are all empty, or rather they contain a huge block of zeroes.
(Well, the ones I looked at did.)

The zip file that is at the Internet Archive, i.e. archive.org, see Oldden's post (reply #16) is the genuine thing.
The file contains the two .iso images of the original SOL2 installation CDs and a text file of the registration code.

That's the one.
Henry's post at the MIDI Tutor site I quoted above, and Oldden's too here,  shows how to install.

Colin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:44:57 PM by C-clef »

Online ckobu

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
I will repeat once again, you can see the installation process in my video. In the description you will find a direct link to download the XGWorks 3.07. There is also a link to insert instrument definitions.

https://youtu.be/qkhny8l_niw

Offline C-clef

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »
I will repeat once again, you can see the installation process in my video. In the description you will find a direct link to download the XGWorks 3.07. There is also a link to insert instrument definitions.

https://youtu.be/qkhny8l_niw

Yup, that's fine Casper, for XGworks v3.07, and it's very good, but here we were looking at the later program by Yamaha called SOL2.
Although, agreed, the installation of the software is similar.

And, I've just discovered on my hard drive, three updates for SOL2 if anyone is interested.
The folders are labelled as follows:

SOL Database V2.02 update
SOL Database V2.04 update
SOL V2.09 update

Each contains a "setup.exe" file as well as one, or more, "data.cab" files.
They bring the whole SOL2 program and its functionality up to the last released status. I'm guessing around 2004 or '5.
I've zipped the whole lot together and uploaded it to box.com.
It's far to big to attach, around 14o MB in total.

If you want a copy please PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you an invitation to the link.
(I'd rather not get hundreds downloading it in an ad hoc manner which would exceed my download limit.)

Regards,
Colin.

Online ckobu

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:14 PM »
Hi Colin, I didn’t read the topic carefully, I thought there was talk of XGWorks all the time.
I use XGWorks very often, I would love to try SOl as well. I sent you my mail. Thank you in advance.
Watch my video channel

Offline C-clef

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
Hi Colin, I didn’t read the topic carefully, I thought there was talk of XGWorks all the time.
I use XGWorks very often, I would love to try SOl as well. I sent you my mail. Thank you in advance.

No problem, Ckobu, I thought that might have occured. (I do it myself too often.) ;-)
I too use XGworks as my main sequencer most of the time. Its functionality is so familiar to me after so many years.
And it's very versatile.

Anyway, ...
I've PM'ed you with the link to SOL2 on the archive site and sent a link to your email address for the SOL update.
Regards,
Colin.

P.S. Anybody thinking of using SOL2, beware, the help files are all in Japanese, as are the manuals.
I've been trying, very slowly and with many interruptions, to convert these .chm files to English using WinCHM Pro.
Some of them appear to be the same as those in SQ01 which are English, so I'll zip those up and make them available too.

P.P.S. Here's a link to the 9 zipped SQ01 help files: https://app.box.com/s/iy1i54l2egpp1p6duk17tf9w3cwm59n2.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:58:41 PM by C-clef »

Online ckobu

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
Thank you so much Colin. I downloaded your files and installed SOL2. Everything went well, I inserted your help files and looked at the instructions. I see that SOL2 has a more modern look and more features.
Unfortunately, there is no XG Edit in XGWorks. The latest voice list is with PSR9000 and that makes it difficult for me to work with Genos.
It is a pity that they did not continue the development of this program.
Watch my video channel

Offline C-clef

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
Hi Ckobu,

Yes, more modern and with more editing facilities.
There IS an XGeditor in SOL (I'm looking at it on my copy) but I think it has to be installed separately.
Let me just check that for you.
Yes ... there's a folder on the 1st disc called "Editor_" which contains a setup.exe file in it.

But you're correct, there are no definitions for instruments created by Yamaha beyond about 2005.

Regards,
Colin.

Online ckobu

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Hi Colin,

you are right, you helped me a lot. XG Edit needs to be installed separately. That setup. exe installs a lot more plug-ins.
It's a shame that there is no Voice List for newer keyboards. Is it a complex job to do? With XGWorks I use a PSR S970 and that would be enough.

Regards, ckobu

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joe H

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 10:17:33 PM »
So... is the SOL2 a follow up to... or upgrade of XGWorks? 

I see that all Yamaha plug-in Editors are supported in SOL2.  How about the Instrument Definition files... will the XGWorks instrument files work with SOL2 also?

Joe H

Online ckobu

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 10:39:07 PM »
I don't think the Voice list from XGWorks will work. The structure of the folders within SOL is completely different. I recently tried to upgrade XGWorks 4.0 with instruments from Genos but failed because more files need to be replaced in multiple locations.

In my opinion, SOL is an upgraded XGWorks. What I like most is that you can resize the view using scrool on the mouse and holding down the CTRL, Shift and Alt keys. With the XGW there are only three positions and this makes it very difficult to use.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:41:00 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Janus

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 11:52:32 PM »
I don't think the Voice list from XGWorks will work. The structure of the folders within SOL is completely different. I recently tried to upgrade XGWorks 4.0 with instruments from Genos but failed because more files need to be replaced in multiple locations.

In my opinion, SOL is an upgraded XGWorks. What I like most is that you can resize the view using scrool on the mouse and holding down the CTRL, Shift and Alt keys. With the XGW there are only three positions and this makes it very difficult to use.
The xg editor is the same as in xgworks
You can use the ini files follow the instructions  a few ini's in the xgeditor dir
and a few ini's in the route dir

Online ckobu

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 12:02:12 AM »
Have you tried it or are you just guessing?
I wish it was that simple but I’ve already tried it and it doesn’t work.  :(
Watch my video channel

Offline Joe H

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:50 AM »
The xg editor is the same as in xgworks
You can use the ini files follow the instructions  a few ini's in the xgeditor dir
and a few ini's in the route dir

Have you actually tried the newer PSR and Tyros Voice .ini files in the SOL2 - XG Editor directory?  It would be nice if they worked.

Joe H

Online ckobu

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 01:11:46 AM »
I tried but it doesn't work. Changes need to be made in some other places like xgedit.ini. In addition, the structure of installation folders in SOL is completely different than in XGWorks.
Maybe someone who could solve this will come forward.
Watch my video channel

Janus

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
Did you select in xgeditor the instrument like the tyros 5
There are default ini files in xgedit like for the psr9000
Search in sol where they are hidden
That's the place to copy the ini files
Another optie is to connect xgworks with sol with midi
You have to install a  midi client ,  sol midi out to xgworks midi in,  xgworks midi out to sol midi in

Gr.Jan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:55:40 AM by Janus »

Online ckobu

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2020, 10:38:06 AM »
I pasted the VoiceList into the xgedit installation folder but Tyros 5 still doesn't show up in the list of instruments.
Using a MIDI client complicates starting because I use XGWorks most often to process Styles (MixMaster go to XgWorks).
I use Cakewalk which has definitions for Genos and that is enough for me for now.

Regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

Offline Oldden

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »
Not tried the links on this Yamaha website, I’m on an iPad so no use. In Japanese but google translate converts it to English.

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/music_production/software/ma-162w/downloads.html

Oldden

Offline C-clef

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
Not tried the links on this Yamaha website, I’m on an iPad so no use. In Japanese but google translate converts it to English.

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/music_production/software/ma-162w/downloads.html

Oldden

Yes!

Well done Oldden.

I'd lost the web address, but that's the site, I think, where I downloaded all the updates to SOL2 from sometime in 2018.

Colin.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »
The Voice files in XGWorks are text files and are in MSB, PGM, LSB order. This is not standard order and
makes these files pretty much useless in other programs.

BillG
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline C-clef

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »
The Voice files in XGWorks are text files and are in MSB, PGM, LSB order. This is not standard order and
makes these files pretty much useless in other programs.

BillG

Strange you should say that, Bill, every time I've used XGworks, from v2 through v4, (and I use it pretty much every day) it always inserts them MSB, LSB, Pgm, with 5 ticks at 480tpqn between each one.

Colin.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
Strange you should say that, Bill, every time I've used XGworks, from v2 through v4, (and I use it pretty much every day) it always inserts them MSB, LSB, Pgm, with 5 ticks at 480tpqn between each one.

Colin.

I think Bill is referring to how the text files are written and not displayed in XGW.  He should know, he as written/modified many of the Voice files for use with the later model arrangers.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:31:30 PM by Joe H »