Author Topic: How to easily find all 3/4 styles ?  (Read 3367 times)

How to easily find all 3/4 styles ?
« on: April 22, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »
Is there a way to display the time signature for a style (not only the tempo), or to identify all 3/4 styles in the search tool (and not only the one where name indicates a waltz or a 3-4 signature) ?

Regards
Soundphase

Offline Fred Smith

Re: How to easily find all 3/4 styles ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »
Unfortunately, on a Genos, there’s no way I know of to search for a 3/4 style.

You can search for Waltz or 3-4 in the name, but as the OP says, that doesn’t find them all.

Would be a great idea for the next OS upgrade.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline frozzers

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »
Have a look at this:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=41827.0

Really impressive in my view.

Cheers

Chris

The following users thanked this post: pjd, Oxford1035

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=41827.0

Really impressive in my view.

Wow. Now there's a really useful tool. I missed it the first time around.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:30:48 AM »
Is there a way to display the time signature for a style (not only the tempo), or to identify all 3/4 styles in the search tool (and not only the one where name indicates a waltz or a 3-4 signature) ? ...

Hi Soundphase,

I recommend to use the PC (Windows) program "PSR Style Database" (developed by Peter Wierzba). The current version is V4.7:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53086.msg414169.html#msg414169

You need to have the Genos Preset Styles on a USB stick or on the PC hard disk. If you haven't copied the Preset Styles yet, you can also download them here (click on all category headings, e.g. BALLROOM, to download the Styles of each category as a zip file):

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/Genos/genos.html

Unzip all files and copy all category folders to a new main folder.

Of course, you can let search "PSR Style Database" for ALL Style files on your PC, if needed: Click on "Browse" button and set the desired folder (or a complete drive) for searching. To include also all Subfolders, tick the checkbox next to the "Search" button.

The FIRST searching process is relatively slow, because an index text file is written into each folder. But all later searches are extremly quick.

You can sort the displayed list by clicking on the desired column header (like in Excel). If the column "Time Sig." should not be displayed in your case, click on "Columns" button to make your custom settings (up to 20 Columns) and click OK. Back in the Main window, you can change the Order of the columns by dragging with the mouse, and you can also set the Width of each column. Then click on the "Column" button again, click on "Set as Default" button to store your custom column layout and click OK.

That's it! :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:44:25 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:33:55 AM »
I use this great feature within the Yamaha Keyboards to convert any 4/4 style to 3/4 style.  I use it a lot and have converted 100s of preset AND purchased styles like this to 3/4 style.  And it takes less than a minute to audition how will the new converted 3/4 style sound and then to save it.  Hope you are utilizing that feature too

Regards

Anand

Offline frozzers

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
Which program do you mean?

Aren't those programs just data viewers?

Cheers

Chris

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
This would be a great feature to add in a future patch..

A style search engine with options like this.. and bpm..

I would also love to see thestyle measure (3/4) and bpm addedto any search result..

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
I use this great feature within the Yamaha Keyboards to convert any 4/4 style to 3/4 style.  I use it a lot and have converted 100s of preset AND purchased styles like this to 3/4 style.  And it takes less than a minute to audition how will the new converted 3/4 style sound and then to save it.  Hope you are utilizing that feature too

Regards

Anand

Anand, your post gives the impression this ability to convert time signatures is an existing standard feature on  Yamaha keyboards. Do you mean this or are you referring to the third party software mentioned in overover's previous post. (If it is standard no one appears to have mentioned it before :)  ).
John

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 06:49:19 AM »
Hi John,

Yes, I do mean that it is a standard feature in Tyros, Genos and PSX-900 for sure. (i had a Tyros 3 and now a Genos and SX 900 and it is there in all)

You can do it through Style Editing -> Grooves from main menu of Genos.

I may though add that not all styles sound great after conversion (80% of them do sound great).  That's why I audition them before converting and only convert those which sound correct. It's less than a minute's job.

Regards

Anand

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:58:20 AM by anandmaloo »

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
Thank you all for your answers.

I agree with Bacchus. A great feature. When the score is 4/4, it's easy to find a good style with the current search tool. For other time signatures, it's difficult.

I work in IT (Information technology) and was a developper. Even if the Operating System core should be far more complex than it seems due to real-time constraints, I really think it is not so difficult to add such additional search criteria ...

I didn't download the softwares you indicated me yet. Do you know if one of them is able to automatically or manually manage user and expansion styles, or are they both sticked to standard Genos styles only ?

Regards
Soundphase

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »
... I didn't download the softwares you indicated me yet. Do you know if one of them is able to automatically or manually manage user and expansion styles, or are they both sticked to standard Genos styles only ? ...

Hi Soundphase,

with "PSR Style Database" you can easily manage ALL Style files on your PC (or on a USB-Stick). It is also NOT a problem if there are hundreds of thousands of styles. :)

As mentioned before: The very first search takes a relatively long time, since a small index file is written in each folder. But all of the following searches go very quickly. You can display up to 20 different style parameters at the same time, and of course there is also a filter function. You can also display style duplicates with one click (if the "Duplicates" column is shown).

And you can also use this database for ALL your MIDI files. When installing the program, two different desktop links are created (one for Style mode and one for MIDI file mode).

Best regards,
Chris.
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)