Author Topic: SX900 - Important Message - DO NOT USE your favorites.  (Read 6682 times)

Offline Aquilauno

SX900 - Important Message - DO NOT USE your favorites.
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
SX900 - Important Message. Attention for the moment DO NOT USE your favorites.
3st case of malfuntion on the SX900, after the use Favorites Function.
Maybe a case or maybe a big problem (?!)...
I am embarrassed to talk about this, compared to the disaster of the coronavirus in the world, I am deeply sorry speake about this, I apologize. I just wish nobody else could find themselves in this situation.
Pietro Di Stefano

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:27:04 PM by Aquilauno »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Christopher Fernandes

Offline Enildo

Re: SX900 - Important Message - DO NOT USE your favorites.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
Hello Pietro,

This is very serious. A feature causing the instrument to crash.
I am no longer using the favorites since yours has a problem.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

rcpilot

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »
I sure hope Yamaha is aware of this! And a fix comes soon!
Some here on the forum are well connected to Yamaha....please be sure to give them the details....
Lee

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
I said it in another thread. I have not used FAVORITES, and will NOT use it until this new problem is corrected, in addition to other errors mentioned above. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

kampot

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:03:51 AM »
Wow yamaha really screwed something up in the software

btweengigs

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:49:52 AM »
In addition to these problems, mine has been experiencing frequent error messages requiring shutdown/re-boot.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
I have not had to restart due to error messages I find my registrations that worked today may not work tomorrow.  I don't believe it's user error either because I have worked and reworked some registrations several times.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »
I have not had to restart due to error messages I find my registrations that worked today may not work tomorrow.  I don't believe it's user error either because I have worked and reworked some registrations several times.

Hi Steve,

do you sometimes connect more than one USB sticks (simulaneously) to the SX?

This can cause problems if external files (which are on the USB stick) are linked in your registrations.

When two USB sticks are connected, the first stick (USB1) internally becomes the Drive letter "I", and the second one (USB2) becomes the letter "J".

For example: If you then memorize a file (e.g. Style or MIDI file) that is on USB2 to a certain Registration, this Reg will not work if this USB stick is the only one connected, later.

I recommend to only work with ONE connected stick in connection with Registrations.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25:43 PM »
Hi Steve,

do you sometimes connect more than one USB sticks (simulaneously) to the SX?

This can cause problems if external files (which are on the USB stick) are linked in your registrations.

When two USB sticks are connected, the first stick (USB1) internally becomes the Drive letter "I", and the second one (USB2) becomes the letter "J".

For example: If you then memorize a file (e.g. Style or MIDI file) that is on USB2 to a certain Registration, this Reg will not work if this USB stick is the only one connected, later.

I recommend to only work with ONE connected stick in connection with Registrations.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris,  Thank you that sounds like good advice.  To answer your question yes I have 2 USB sticks connected all the time, I will remove the secondary one.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
Chris,  Thank you that sounds like good advice.  To answer your question yes I have 2 USB sticks connected all the time, I will remove the secondary one.

Yes, Steve, it is always a good idea to use only one USB stick at a time.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
All we can do, and should do, is contact Yamaha about this major flaw.

USA: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/contacts/pac/

UK/Ireland: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html

Europe (Other): https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html

Canada:  https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/index.html

For all countries check here: https://www.yamaha.com/

Please do it today...I did :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:43:25 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline rene1242

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »
So if i understand well if one uses favorites there a risk of a brick ? and even when flashing the firmware theres a risk than cannot unbrick ( remains on start logo)?
"SynthGrooves"

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 10:07:24 PM »
Hi rene,
right ... it is only a suspicion, but it happened to three people.
The problem is not in the insertion, but in the deletion of the favorites. In all three cases the maximum possible was inserted (100), and then we proceeded to cancel them, not immediately,  in my case,  a little at a time in several days, after removing the last favorite, to the next start the SX900 is "frozen". If it's a coincidence it's a strange coincidence ... My thought is that the operating system was born for GENOS, then it was adapted to the SX900 which came out the following year. Maybe the problem stems from here, The S.O. has a bug in SX900?... or maybe it's just a simple coincidence? ... ???
certainly no one can try this, voluntarily,  except Yamaha  ::) ... 

I have no experience with Yamaha keyboard. But I assume that if a keyboard fails: 1) or does not turn on, 2) or, if it is turned on, has malfunction signals or error messages. In these three cases  the SX900 does not start, it cannot load the S.O., or more probabily, the bios.
The fact that the firmware has updated correctly is curious if the motherboard is fails ...?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:09:44 PM by Aquilauno »

The following users thanked this post: rene1242

Offline rene1242

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi rene,
The problem is not in the insertion, but in the deletion of the favorites. In all three cases the maximum possible was inserted (100), and then we proceeded to cancel them, not immediately,  in my case,  a little at a time in several days, after removing the last favorite, to the next start the SX900 is "frozen". If it's a coincidence it's a strange coincidence ... My thought is that the operating system was born for GENOS, then it was adapted to the SX900 which came out the following year. Maybe the problem stems from here, The S.O. has a bug in SX900?... or maybe it's just a simple coincidence? ... ???
certainly no one can try this, voluntarily,  except Yamaha  ::) ... 

I have no experience with Yamaha keyboard. But I assume that if a keyboard fails: 1) or does not turn on, 2) or, if it is turned on, has malfunction signals or error messages. In these three cases  the SX900 does not start, it cannot load the S.O., or more probabily, the bios.
The fact that the firmware has updated correctly is curious if the motherboard is fails ...?

Thanks very much for your reply so for now i will stay away from favourites better not risk it
"SynthGrooves"

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »
This is what I emailed Yamaha:

A few PSR Tutorial forum members have been reporting that the PSR-SX900 does not completely boot up, and freezes at the Yamaha SX-900 Logo. Nothing works to correct this problem including a hard or soft reset, or upgrading/downgrading firmware. It also appears this major problem has been narrowed down, and somehow related to the "Favorites" folder. Members have stated when saving to Favorites caused the freeze, although not 100% that is a reason

Owners, (like me), of this keyboard are now fearful of a "frozen brick" PSR-SX-900. Obviously this "boot up" flaw needs to be fixed, and concerns, and fears addressed. Otherwise, The SX-900 is a great keyboard, and we are confident that Yamaha will give immediate attention to correct this problem on the newest arranger keyboard, the PSR- SX-900

Thank You
Larry Hawk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was the reply email from Yamaha:

Larry,

I reviewed our service website and did not find any known issues regarding the boot up or using favorites process. Yamaha is not aware of any defects at this time.  Keep in mind when you see issues like this in forums it easy to assume the issues are related. However they often do not provide enough information to jump to that conclusion.

If you are experiencing this type of issue please let us know. We would like to gather more detail regarding what you are doing when this happens. We may even gather a backup file and test it on  unit we have available.

We encourage anyone else who is having this issue also to contact us so we can troubleshoot with them and determine a solution.

Please know we do appreciate the information you provided and even if you do not own the product this case is documented under the product model PSR-SX900. We keep track of the cases to help find any potential issues.

Best Regards,
Desmond

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline hans1966

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 03:01:46 AM »
Hi Larry, to which email address did you send the SX900 information? I live in Colombia and I would like to be able to communicate to the corresponding site. If you can help me with this, I appreciate it. Cheers. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
Thank you Larry for your initiative and feedback on this issue. I do use a few favourites and had no problems with them, so I contnue to do so. If problems occur, I do know how to react  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline reya

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
It has just been reported that a new firmware for SX900 is out (v1.04).

Sadly, no mention of this issue in the fix lists, but for those who currently have this keyboard blocked at home by this issure , it probably won't hurt trying to install this new firmware. you never know ....

Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »

Sadly, no mention of this issue in the fix lists, but for those who currently have this keyboard blocked at home by this issure , it probably won't hurt trying to install this new firmware. you never know ....

Best regards
Rudy

I really hoped this would fix my SX900 but no luck... it installs the firmware successfully, but then when it asks me to restart, it still stays at the SX900 logo. :(
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 01:39:21 PM »
Hi Boys...
It was the last chance and I was just waiting for this
Updated the new firmware (1.04) ... And miracle the keyboard has resumed its operation !!! WOW ... Thanks Yamaha ... :) 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:53:30 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
Hi Christopher
Try again calmly ... has it indicated you on the displey that it has correctly updated to 1.04?
it worked for me ..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Enildo

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
Hi Christopher
Try again calmly ... has it indicated you on the displey that it has correctly updated to 1.04?
it worked for me ..

Wow, what wonderful news!
Very happy that it worked, my friend! :) :) :)

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »
After re- reading of the freeze up problem on the SX900 (due to possible deleting Favorites), it actually came down to just 3 members here on the PSR Tutorial, and none anywhere else on any forum or site that I'm aware of. The email response from Yamaha (see above) confirms to me that this is not really an issue. This is not to say, there was a problem, and I feel bad for the three members who had to go through this ordeal, but it does seem rare and isolated. I'm sure our emails and concerns may have possibly helped Yamaha correct this with the latest update. We'll never know for sure, as part of the update includes "Fixes Other Problems", whatever that is.

One of those on this forum, Keith sent his back back for repair before the latest update, Rudy had his "freeze up" repaired by the latest update, and that leaves Christopher as the lone owner with still the problem, and not sure what's going on with him. He just may be an unfortunate one that received a bad board.  I hope he gets it resolved by either trying again with firmware updates, or sending it in for repair

So my point is, the freeze/ favorite issue, does NOT appear to be this huge World Wide problem, and for the 3 people I know that had this problem, two had it fixed by Yamaha, and the third is working on it.

So perhaps we can relax, and just enjoy this great keyboard?

I really hoped this would fix my SX900 but no luck... it installs the firmware successfully, but then when it asks me to restart, it still stays at the SX900 logo. :(

Christopher, am I wrong, I thought I remember reading that you sent your keyboard back for repair? If not, try a few more times, as the firmware update appears to correct your problem. Or maybe send it back? Good Luck

Sadly, no mention of this issue in the fix lists, but for those who currently have this keyboard blocked at home by this issue , it probably won't hurt trying to install this new firmware. you never know ....

Best regards
Rudy

Yamaha may not mention it specifically in the firmware update, but it includes fixes to "Other Problems"  and has resolved the problem for one of the two members that reported this problem here on PSR Tutorial. (Not sure what's going on with Christopher)

Hi Boys...
It was the last chance and I was just waiting for this
Updated the new firmware (1.04) ... And miracle the keyboard has resumed its operation !!! WOW ... Thanks Yamaha ... :)  and Thanks Rudy

That's great news Rudy.

Hi Larry, to which email address did you send the SX900 information? I live in Colombia and I would like to be able to communicate to the corresponding site. If you can help me with this, I appreciate it. Cheers. Hans

Hans, if you registered your SX-900 with Yamaha / Columbia website, just contact support through there, or ask the merchant from where you purchased your keyboard, or maybe even try calling USA Yamaha Customer Support - 714-522-9000 Option 3, and ask how you contact support, Columbia. Good luck.

Thank you Larry for your initiative and feedback on this issue. I do use a few favourites and had no problems with them, so I continue to do so. If problems occur, I do know how to react  ;)

You got the right approach. The latest firmware update seemed to have fixed the problem to the PSR forum member that had the Favorites problem.  But I understand the concern, this issue was alarming, because it caused a problem to three members here on the forum.

Hi rene,

One of them sent the keyboard back to repair BEFORE the latest update.  The second person had his problem fixed with the latest update, and the third is still trying to resolve his issue.

Steve, the latest update may have solved your registration problem:
V1.03 to V1.04
Increased the font size of the Score, the Lyrics, and the Text Viewer display.
Fixed a problem in which, under a certain situation, the indication lamps (MIDI indicator) on the Mixer display would not work.
Fixed a problem in which the Registration Memory function would not work properly in some cases.
Fixed a problem in which the Audio Song parameters were not properly saved to Registration Memory in certain situations.
Fixed a problem in which the instrument would, in certain situations, become unresponsive to operations when attempting to save a Mic Setting.
Now supports use with the Yamaha Expansion Manager (V2.6.0 or later).
Fixed other problems.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
Thanks Larry for your intervention and clarifications. In fact we will never know if we have been three unfortunate cases or if there was a problem at the base. I hope Christopher can solve the problem whit the new firmware...

it was a warning to tell members to use caution in use, in a period in which it is difficult to get assistance and repairs from the centers in charge.

In my case, fortunately resolved with the 1.04 update, it was not a constructive defect or a motherboard failure ... (although I would wait a few days of demanding use of the sx900 .... for safety  ::)).

Pietro