Author Topic: SX SERIES TOUCH SCREEN  (Read 5032 times)

beykock

SX SERIES TOUCH SCREEN
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Hi :

I wonder how most of you feel about the touch screen.
Do you like it more than the " old " screen ?
Is it faster, is it easier, is it more convenient ?

Babette

Offline Christopher Fernandes

Re: SX SERIES TOUCH SCREEN
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
I'm really happy with the new touch screen interface. UI is really good and high resolution, especially when compared to those on the KORG PA series or even the PA4X. However, I'd still prefer hardware buttons for style part ON/OFF or preferred faders for the style part volume for some complex arrangements. But maybe that's too much to ask for $2000?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:36:57 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline dianatoy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
I really like the touchscreen.  I upgraded from a PSR-3000 to the SX-900 and the touchscreen is like a 'direct-access' versus pressing button after button.  The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't 'tilt' and the glare from my music light overwhelms the display.
Diana Toy

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
I like it a lot ..... BUT....
When you move 'back' from a file to its folder it DOES NOT highlight which folder your file came from ( Unlike PSR/Tyros )  .. which I find a pain.

It is not conv. in my view when moving forward and backwards between files/folders when looking at various files within a particular folder.
Ok ...there is an indicator bottom left to visually check but its not the same as a highlighted folder

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »
Excactly! The file managing system drives me mad!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

beykock

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
Thank you all for your honest replies.
Very much appreciated.

I am happy to hear I am not the only one who liked the " old "
screen very much.
I do not know yet ( after 4 months SX700 experience ) if this present touch screen is my favorite tool ...

I am very pleased with the sound quality though.

Best regards, Babette

rcpilot

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 01:21:07 AM »
I think it's here to stay...but some programming changes should be made to several areas...
Hope an update comes.
Lee

beykock

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 06:47:16 AM »
Hi Lee :

Thank you for your reply.
Hope Yamaha will hear you. ::)

Babette

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 06:08:53 PM »
For my part I am happy with the new design, since you have access to several functions ... although I would be happier, if yamaha corrects the errors that have occurred with these models especially the SX900. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline Ingar

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 04:37:55 PM »
Hi :

I wonder how most of you feel about the touch screen.
Do you like it more than the " old " screen ?
Is it faster, is it easier, is it more convenient ?

Babette
I like the touch screen on SX 900, indoors. Outdoors in full daylight the visibility, even when the sun did not hit it, is rather disappointing bad.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:39:50 PM by Ingar »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
I like the touch screen on SX 900, indoors. Outdoors in full daylight the visibility, even when the sun did not hit it, is rather disappointing bad.

Hi Ingar,

in contrast to the Genos, the Brightness of the touchscreen can be set on the SX900 / SX700.

If there are problems with the readability of the display, please make sure that the "Brightness > Screen" parameter is set to the maximum value (100) in "Utility > Touch Screen / Display" (see attached picture).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:07:28 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 06:18:25 PM »
The brightness of the touchscreen can be set, but only for darker circumstances. The highest (100) setting doesn't have effect on the (bad) readabilty in direct sun or artificial light. Yamaha must be not so stubbornly and give their customers a tiltable screen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:20:28 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 06:53:12 PM »
The brightness of the touchscreen can be set, but only for darker circumstances. The highest (100) setting doesn't have effect on the (bad) readabilty in direct sun or artificial light. Yamaha must be not so stubbornly and give their customers a tiltable screen.

Hi Ton,

yes, of course you are right here. Under certain lighting conditions, the readability of the SX (and Genos) displays is really not good.

But I just wanted to point out this adjustment option, because it could be that a user has lowered the display brightness (e. g. for playing at home). Under certain circumstances, you may forget to set the brightness to maximum again for a live performance. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline niayinii

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 02:24:03 AM »
if the  plastic on the  screen can be  replaces  with a  matt than  reflective  it will  at least solve the  problem

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
You can't replace the plastic on the screen but you can try and anti glare screen saver as used on Tablets.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
You can't replace the plastic on the screen but you can try and anti glare screen saver as used on Tablets.
That sounds like a good idea. I have screen saver on mine, and will try to anti glare it. Thanks for the tip.

Ingar

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »
Hi Ingar,

in contrast to the Genos, the Brightness of the touchscreen can be set on the SX900 / SX700.

If there are problems with the readability of the display, please make sure that the "Brightness > Screen" parameter is set to the maximum value (100) in "Utility > Touch Screen / Display" (see attached picture).

Best regards,
Chris

I use 100, even at home. I think it has a little amount of shine. I haven't tried it in ambient light yet.
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline GaryW

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 01:42:30 AM »
My solution was to get a black sheet of construction paper. Dollar stores usually carry it. I cut a 7" x 6 1/2" piece, and a second one a little smaller to tape to the larger one.Scotch
Taped the two together to make it stronger. The upper side has no tape showing. But the edge which you slide under the music stand is taped so it doesn't get ragged. With the music light above it shades the entire display nicely, but leaves the Assignable buttons lighted. Cheap and looks tidy using the black paper.

Offline Innar

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 06:45:45 AM »
Hello friends.
I have been using PSR instruments since the PSR 620 (S900, S970, SX700). However, the SX 700 is the best of them, even though it has some flaws that I don't like. The touch screen gives you more options and less need to press mechanical buttons. Both have their drawbacks. I don't think it's wise to use handicaps for a quick change in Live. The screen is a bit small and you can't always hit the necessary icon during the game: then there is a lot of confusion. Standard buttons may wear out faster and may not always be responsive. On my S970, it tended to bluff between F or G next to the screen, jumped to the Start menu.
The best things about the SX700 are Assignable and Live control. You could put switches you need quickly there, for example, Fade Off, which I always have under the same key so that I don't forget. I have set the volume of the microphone and the left hand to Live Control.
One thing that Yamaha has carried over to all three instruments S900, S970, SX700 is the registration of Text files. Always the last change is to check Reg.2-8 that the page is NOT registered. I always have the lyrics and chords as a text file with the song. What happens is that pages 1 and 2 are right in front, but 3 Reg, when you press the button, the text jumps to the 1st page, i.e. to the beginning of the song. I use one (1-8Reg) bank for each song.
Oh, I guess it took too long.
Greetings,
Innar.

Offline Patt22

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 11:13:59 AM »
. What happens is that pages 1 and 2 are right in front, but 3 Reg, when you press the button, the text jumps to the 1st page, i.e. to the beginning of the song. I use one (1-8Reg) bank for each song.
Oh, I guess it took too long.
Greetings,
Innar.

Hello innar,

Here's how I go about getting the lyrics adapted to the Genos screen for each registration used for the song...

Preparation phase
1 - You load a text (well filled) on your keyboard, you adapt the text screen of the keyboard to have the most lines and characters / spaces ...
2 - Open your word processor on the computer and enter the same text ... you adjust your A4 page to the keyboard screen format with the same number of characters and lines, you'll also have the right number of pages for your keyboard.

This is the format you need to save as a template to work on other layouts at your convenience.

3 - Once the text is balanced on the pages for reading on one or two registrations, I move on to recording the text ... and this is where my trick comes in, always on the computer:

Let's take the example of a song with the title "Je t'aime" (I love you) and 3 screen pages...

I record "Je t'aime 1" full text ...  ( 1 for 1st screen )

I record "I love you 2" screen after deleting the visible text of the 1st screen page so this 2nd screen will become visible when calling registration 2 ... or other

I record "I love you 3" after deleting the visible text from the 2nd screen page, so that this 3rd screen becomes visible when registration 3 is called up ... or other.

Once ready, transfer to keyboard and finalize with registrations.
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline Innar

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
Hello.
I didn't explain enough, but I will prepare the text in Notebad. I put the chords in parentheses (C) before each word, and since I use the largest font on the instrument, 10 lines fit on one page. Verse by verse for better traceability. Because the SX700 screen can fit fewer letters per line for the same size letter, some lines have to be split. On the S970, more letters could fit on the line. The lyrics of the songs are on the memory stick.
Now, when registering, I save the text only on the first two buttons - 1 and 2. If no changes have been made later in this bank under buttons 3-8, I move the page forward with the buttons inc+ and back with dec. If it is necessary to make changes later, then You have to delete the text under the 2-8 button by pressing the x in the middle of the text screen. By default, the instrument stores text under buttons 2-8.
If you don't delete, for reg.2-8, the text jumps to the first page, and then you should fast forward with the inc+ button. When registering 2-8, you can also leave the Memory text box blank.
I have all the texts made in Libre Office with colored chords and then as a PDF file. Libre PDF files are many times smaller in size ~50-100Kb, than World` PDF files ~150-300Kb.
I use PDF in Lenovo's SongBook Pro.
There you can make the text move automatically at the speed you need. It is better to follow the words and chords from the board in the case of the sun.
So I have the lyrics duplicated.
Greetings,
Innar.

Offline Patt22

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »
OK, you didn't mention that you had other equipment! ... the method I was explaining will be more useful for those who only have Genos or other keyboards and a 2nd monitor ... for text, not PDFs, which require a software investment...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:28:42 PM by Patt22 »
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...