Author Topic: Reaper and Genos  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Floodie

Reaper and Genos
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
I am trying to: Play Genos Styles and record the midi using Reaper. Edit the MIDI and play it back on the Genos.

What are the necessary MIDI settings for the Genos?

Does anyone have a Reaper Template the could help.

Genos!

Re: Reaper and Genos
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »
Let's start with this video, and then let me know where you need help.

https://youtu.be/laDCbH7jH7c

I do not have any templates.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:11:55 PM by Genos! »

Offline Floodie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
Thanks Genos!

I think all my questions would have been answered had the DAW been Reaper instead of Cubase. I have done a lot of homework on this before asking for help, watched all the Reaper online videos etc. I can record a style from Genos onto Reaper,  I can play back anything, so nothing is broken or wrong. There are just some things I dont understand. I dont plan on using VSTi, just the sounds on the Genos.

One point of confusion is why there are two midi ports on the Genos, and which ones do I use?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 02:27:38 PM by Floodie »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
Two midi ports are a great advantage. You can only use one and you don't have to worry about the other one. When you have two midi ports available, additional options open up. Like the one I used in this video.

https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI?t=79
Watch my video channel

Genos!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
I use both of the Genos midi ports at the same time. And, yes it can be a bit confusing. Plus there is a hidden setting on the usb hardware driver for Genos. If you open it up in control panel there is a midi thru option.

The Genos is an odd duck. The way the midi works is strange. Every keyboard I have ever seen... the midi in has the same channels out on the port. Not the Genos.

Midi-1 Genos in is normal. Everything played in will play normally. However, what gets recorded from Midi-1 is everything that you play on the arranger. And Midi-2 is just the opposite. What you play in reaper to Midi-2 Genos in is set to play in the arranger.

Everything is completely configurable in the Genos, however. In order to get the Genos to play both midis you may have to do one reassignment. The input from Reaper thru Midi-2 to Genos in for the keybed gives weird results. Perhaps because the keybed has splits, auto chording, AI settings, etc.

There are extra channels that are available for mapping. I decided to pretty much mirror Midi-2 in and Midi-1 out in the Genos settings. I do not have thru enabled in the control panel for the usb driver.

All my midi is set up through Reaper using a usb printer cable into the Genos with both midi ports enabled.

The Genos has 128 polyphony on each port for 256 total polyphony with both ports in use.

Offline Floodie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
Back in the late 80s, I had a Yamaha SY55 Keyboard connected to a Yamaha TG55 tone generator.

The Genos is like having both in one box? Two separate MIDI devices, double polyphony, 32 channels?