Author Topic: Recommendation needed for DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software  (Read 6275 times)

SG2009

Hi - Are there any good DAW software anyone recommend that download free or purchase? Thank you in advance.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Recommendation needed for DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
Can you please list out everything you want from a DAW.

Say you want to record your keyboard.
Use VST

This would help us to narrow it down. 
Regards Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

SG2009

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »
Thanks.. Record keyboard music into one DAW software Channel then another Channel for Vocal only (vocal singing into the keyboard)...  So that way I can separately edit the vocal before doing a final mix down

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »
If you have a Pen Drive. The Keyboard can directly record onto a Pen Drive.

Both Vocal and Keyboard Performance.

There is a free software. Audacity you can use it.

Hope this was helpful.

Just look for the USB Recording function.
Regards Norman.

Cubase - Kontakt6

SG2009

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 05:45:48 PM »
I do use Keyboard's internal audio recording system for keyboard performances and Vocal.. but I wanted to record them into separate channels to do after edit..

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
Record the vocal using a headphone.

Then copy the audio file From the pen drive to audacity. .
You'll have the keyboard and Vocal separate.

This is the best solution without having to buy additional gear.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Online ckobu

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
My recommendation is BandLab. It's free, but it's more than what a regular musician needs.
https://www.bandlab.com/

Watch the video. This is how you can record all MIDI channels.
https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI
You can record your voice (audio) in Genos Audio Recorder and transfer to BandLab and process again.

You can also use Digital Out, but someone else might tell you more. I don't have too much experience with that.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47066.msg369739.html#msg369739
Watch my video channel

Offline Dnj

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
https://acoustica.com/mixcraft

My personal favorite ...it is all I ever use.

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »
https://acoustica.com/mixcraft

My personal favorite ...it is all I ever use.

He asks for freesoftware?

Is there a fully operational free version of it?

SG2009

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 10:23:11 PM »
Really appreciate all the help... I prefer to use Free version, if any good ones available. If not, willing to spend a little on the DAW software...

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:59:57 PM »
Really appreciate all the help... I prefer to use Free version, if any good ones available. If not, willing to spend a little on the DAW software...

Hi SG2009,

the DAW program "Cakewalk by Bandlab" (mentioned by ckobu before) IS a very good DAW (namely the successor of the well-known Cakewalk/SONAR"), and it's FREE now (since the takeover by Bandlab). :)

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:30:20 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Genos!

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »
"Are there any good DAW software anyone recommend that download free or purchase?" -- OP

I use Reaper. It is well documented, many tutorial videos online, a forum, kept current and up-to-date, and the full version is $60... however, the demo is not crippled in any way.  There are no yearly licenses and other ongoing or hidden fees.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:42:17 AM by Genos! »

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 12:24:11 AM »
Hi SG2009,
Popular DAW programs like Cubase,Ableton live,Reaper.FL Studio etc are doing the same things and work pretty much the same way.
For each one of them you have to spend some time to learn how it works.
You don't really want to compose or produce music but just to record your playing and your singing.
So you don't really need to spend countless of hours to learn all the things they can do.
Better download the free version of Cakewalk to see if you can handle it.
You can also download free trial versions of other DAWs too and try them before you decide to buy them.
For all of these DAW's there are many of video tutorials on Youtube to watch.   

SG2009

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 04:40:29 AM »
Thank you all...really appreciated.

Is BandLab (free) better than Audacity(free)? From a functions standpoint?

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »
Thank you all...really appreciated.

Is BandLab (free) better than Audacity(free)? From a functions standpoint?

Audacity is free.

You can try Sound Bridge ( it's like most of the big DAWs but with less features )

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline daleSP

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Just a clarification:

The use of the word "Bandlab" can be confusing if the context in which it is used in not quite clear.

There is a company called Bandlab Technologies (sometimes also called Bandlab) which owns two main products (among many other hardware and software products) which carry the name "Bandlad in them.

Bandlab: This is the social media PLATFORM for sharing music and collaborating with others across the globe to create and produce music. This product lives in the "Cloud", i.e, it does not reside on a desktop computer but rather on some server(s) located somewhere else in the world accessible by a web browser. It is also DAW but it is not the product mentioned in this thread. It is also FREE.

Traditionalists might quibble whether it's really a DAW or not.

Cakewalk By Bandlab: This is the full-fledged DAW similar to other DAWs such as Cubase, Studio One, Pro Tools, Reaper, Mixcraft etc. which work with both Midi and Audio technologies and resides on your desktop computer. Over the decades of its existence, this DAW was known by names such as Cakewalk or Sonar (or variations of these names).

A few years ago, Bandlab Technologies (the company) acquired Sonar Platinum Edition (the DAW) and renamed it to "Cakewalk By Bandlab" and now offers it to the public for FREE (whereas in the good old days, the previous owners of this DAW charged $$$). This is the DAW mentioned in this thread.

It's quite a mouthful to say or write "Cakewalk By Bandlab" so (long-time) users of this DAW (still) refer to it as Cakewalk or Sonar or SPLAT (for Sonar Platinum Edition) and now CbB (the acronym for Cakewalk By Bandlab).

As you can see, referring to this DAW as "Bandlab" can be confusing. Is it "Bandlab" (the cloud based DAW) or "Cakewalk By Bandlab" (the desktop computer DAW) ?

For me, the desktop computer DAW is either Cakewalk or Sonar or CbB. Unfortunately, I can't pronounce "CbB"  :)

Offline panos

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 06:50:29 AM »
Thanks Dale for the clarification.Now I know how to call the program.
I have heard the name "Sonar platinum" before as a popular DAW.

SG2009,
consider Audacity as the Audio Recorder with the Mixing Console that your keyboard has.

and consider any DAW like Cakewalk as all the functions that your keyboard has but with just a few voices and some limited basic effects.
But you can buy all the existed voices and effects that they are out there from all other developers from all different companies to use with it.The only limitation is the money you can spend.

So these are two different kind of programs and that's why probably Audacity is more easy to use for audio recordings.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:37 AM »
You can try LMMS (https://lmms.io/)
Loads of youtube tutorials and free.

Aad

Online ckobu

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
@daleSP, you're right. The name BandLab is confusing. It's a Cakewalk, Sonar program so I'm uploading a new link.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/sonar/

There are many free DAWs, one of which is Tracktion.
https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

When using DAW, the processing of MIDI data is very important to me. Cakewalk is great for this purpose, we have a list of instruments for Yamaha's arrangers. Plus it has great audio channel processing with lots of free VST.
So I prefer it and once again recommend it.
Watch my video channel

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
SG2009, basically any DAW from "free" up to $1,000 or more will record audio and MIDI. The end quality depends on two main things:

1) The audio interface - the device between the Genos and your DAW (computer). Most computer sound cards are not up to the task.
2) Editing features - the tools that come with the DAW. For example, EQ, Compression, Reverb, and other plugins. Cakewalk's Bandlab is probably the best freebie.

The next question is when you record the Genos parts, are you recording them as audio or MIDI tracks? The best way is to record them is as MIDI tracks because you can edit a lot of problems out in the DAW for a much finer end-product. If you have no experience recording the Genos as MIDI in your DAW, the best way is to use the onboard MIDI recorder, save the file to a thumb drive, and then import the MIDI file to your DAW. At that point, you will need to set up your Genos and DAW to send and receive the MIDI information so that the DAW triggers your Genos sound engine. Alternatively, you can just record your Genos as an audio file and import it to your DAW, and then use the DAW to record the vocals.

Yesterday, I upgraded my DAW to Cubase 10.5 Pro. My overall investment was about $800 (CA). Cubase 10.5 Pro is rated as one of the best pro-level recording DAWs. Keep in mind too, when recording audio on a computer, you need a substantial computer. On the positive side, a lot of laptops these days have enough CPU speed and RAM to handle what you want. Above all, have fun!! I love recording. During this Covid nonsense, it's a nice break from the live stage and helps keep your skills sharp. Definitely a fun way to practice :)!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:44:30 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Floodie

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
Hey Genos!, you use Reaper, I am trying to use it but need some help with setup. I want to record Styles and edit from the computer and play back on Genos. Does that make sense?

Genos!

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 04:20:10 PM »
Hey Genos!, you use Reaper, I am trying to use it but need some help with setup. I want to record Styles and edit from the computer and play back on Genos. Does that make sense?

If you start your own thread and are more specific I will respond.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 04:35:16 PM »
... I use Reaper. It is well documented, many tutorial videos online, a forum, kept current and up-to-date, and the full version is $60... however, the demo is not crippled in any way.  There are no yearly licenses and other ongoing or hidden fees.

My understanding is the Reaper has a big problem with MIDI in that when you export the MIDI file all tracks are assigned to 1 MIDI channel. I say this because I was working with a forum member several years ago who wanted me to create a style from his MIDI recording on Reaper.  We had a heck of a time.

Maybe he didn't know how to use Reaper, but I thought I would mention it here.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Genos!

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
My understanding is the Reaper has a big problem with MIDI in that when you export the MIDI file all tracks are assigned to 1 MIDI channel. I say this because I was working with a forum member several years ago who wanted me to create a style from his MIDI recording on Reaper.  We had a heck of a time.

Maybe he didn't know how to use Reaper, but I thought I would mention it here.

Joe H

Totally unfounded and not true. I can't recall when I first started using Reaper, but there is a video on youtube that describes using midi in Reaper that is 8 years old. I have been using Reaper for longer than 8 years, no doubt in my mind.

I have never had any problems doing anything in Reaper, even spectral editing of audio and other features that are only found in the Pro version of Cubase. And there is only one flavor of Reaper, period. There is no Light LE, AI, amateur, Pro, etc. And there are no ongoing license fees for support each year.

Furthermore, the demo is not crippled in any way. There is a start-up purchase nag screen that you can bypass after around 5 seconds, but that is it. I might add that many ppl have switched from other DAWs and ever from Pro Tools to Reaper.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:21:30 PM by Genos! »

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »
A decent DAW has a Dissolve Track function that splits the MIDI track into either separate tracks or separate pitches, each assigned to their own tracks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »
Tracks and MIDI channels are not the same thing.

MIDI Type 0 has one track. People often refer to style "tracks", but there is only one track for Yamaha style files. All 16 MIDI channels are on this one track.

MIDI Type 1 (old school) has many tracks that can be assigned to each MIDI channel. Type 1 files were used in the "old days" when MIDI sequencers were simple and did not have good GUIs.

BTW... Multi Pad files are specialized Type 1.  I'm not sure why Yamaha choose to use Type 1 files for the MPs and Type 0 for style files.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
I'm not sure why Yamaha choose to use Type 1 files for the MPs and Type 0 for style files.

All (up to eight) style parts run always in sync. The style engine just grabs the portion of the style variation on the single track.

In contrast, (up to 4) Multi-Pads may run completely independent, as you may start them at any time. Processing MultiPads is easier and more efficiently implemented, if the events are stored on separate tracks. Just an educated guess.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:05:50 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline Joe H

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »
All (up to eight) style parts run always in sync. The style engine just grabs the portion of the style variation on the single track.

In contrast, (up to 4) Multi-Pads may run completely independent, as you may start them at any time. Processing MultiPads is easier and more efficiently implemented, if the events are stored on separate tracks. Just an educated guess.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

Joe H

beykock

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »
For many years my favorite DAW tools are :
Midi : XGW
Audio : Cakewalk.

Tried other DAWS like Cubase e. g. but always came back to XGW and Sonar ( Cakewalk ).

Wished Yamaha should update XGW ... but they will never do. A big mistake, IMHO.

Apparently XGW was made by a third party and not by Yamaha. Do not know if this information is correct.

Babette

Bachus

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
For a good daw, you could also consider IOS..
Cubasis is great and affordable..

But there are more daws then just cubasis..
Check out some youtubes on “best daw ipad”

Offline Joe H

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »

Apparently XGW was made by a third party and not by Yamaha. Do not know if this information is correct.

Babette

That's correct.  There was a version 4 produced but only in Japanese. I think I read somewhere that there were folks trying to translate to English. XGW v4 is very difficult to find.

Joe H

Online ckobu

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 09:51:37 PM »
XGW is the same as 3.07. The look is slightly changed, but everything else is the same.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline Joe H

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
XGW is the same as 3.07. The look is slightly changed, but everything else is the same.

So what was the point of version 4 if there are no new features?

Joe H

beykock

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »
This version 4 was made for the Japanese market only, one said to me approx. 10 years ago.

Apparently this version seems not to be a successor of
" our " XGW.

It looks like there is not a big arranger keyboard market in Japan.
Most ( 90%?) of Yamaha's arrangers are made for export and not for their local market though.

Maybe the XGW 4 is made for other applications ?
I know it has been translated ( partly) by a private user and is available in the USA and Europe but not for sale.

I received this information from a European pro piano player who is living in Japan.

Again, I do not know if all this information is correct.

Babette

Online ckobu

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
On my version it says 4.0. If it was "original", I wouldn't know. The XGW 3.0Pro has many more features and is stable. With 4.0, this is not always the case.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline Joe H

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »
I have v3.0.7E... with all the plug-in editors... which is the last version.  I found a link to v4.0, but the download file is v3.0.7.

Thanks for the info.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:27:35 PM by Joe H »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
He asks for freesoftware?

Is there a fully operational free version of it?

hi
Mixcraft is great for Vst, but not so compatible with midi recording from the Genos. Not great for Sys Ex.
A Basic Cubase would do the trick.
Band lab is free , but a full Pro daw.
all the best
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox