Author Topic: Genos Microphone setting  (Read 2299 times)

Offline metcam

Genos Microphone setting
« on: April 07, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
Any good picture for microphone setting on Genos or SX-900 please?

Thanks
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline manuel

Re: Genos Microphone setting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »
The settings will depend on various details, the Microphone brand and models, each one has a different response and sound, also how you EQ the Microphones......as an example, depends of the Mic you get, as an example, the Dynamic Mics are more popular, but, then you have the most common 2 types, Cardioid and SuperCardiod /or HyperCardiod(Depends on brand, but are the same)..... For the arranger players/Singers, I recommend the SuperCardiod or HyperCardiod, it has more direct pick up pattern, the Cardiod pattern has tendency to get feedback since it captures sound from all over, sides, behind, etc....
Most arranger players use the on board speakers or even the satelites like in the Genos....and then is the Super Cardiod that does a much better job(much harder to get feedback), I use the AKG D5S Sounds amazing and is very inexpensive there are 2 models the D5 (No on/Off switch) and the D5S with Switch. This mics retail for $95-105.00 USD
Now,  if budget is an issue, AKG has the P5 and P5S basically identical to the D5 only with a different body and switch for about $20.00 less on each of those 2.
Of course, there are other like the condenser microphones, those need Phantom power and the Genos is the ONLY model that provides that. Other wise, depending on brand and model, you may need batteries or an external Phantom power that will make you spend more money and to be honest, the D5S does an Excellent job and no pain. 

My 2 Cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: metcam

Wil5560

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »
Hello Manual,

When reviewing the AKGD5S, I noticed that the impedance is 600 ohms. Is this not too high for the Genos as the preferred impedance is about 200 ohms for a microphone?

Offline manuel

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 05:14:09 AM »
Like I said, it depends on the microphone, I really like mine, I had a friend that had a Sennheiser E945 or E965 much MUCH more expensive, at least 2 or more times over, and comparing them in the same Genos, same amplification, the AKG was the clear winner, so much that my friend got rid off his expensive mic, and got one just like mine and, by the way, we both gig professionally.
Of course, we could use a condenser mic, most are more delicate(preferred for Studio and home work), and we need something we can trust and also reliable without compromising quality.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
I use two microphones, one directly in the mixer, the other in the Genos the microphone connected to the Genos comes from a different output of the Genos going to a different input of the mixer.

The mike from the Genos will give me the effects from the Genos, EQ, REVERB, DELAY etc. all set in the song registration.

In different rooms the sound is very different, it's great to have a base mike you can use.  You can always lower or turn off the mike connected to the Genos at the mixer level.