Author Topic: Keyboard Harmony Type. Query.  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Ray

Keyboard Harmony Type. Query.
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »
I can’t tell or hear, the difference in Keyboard Harmony section, between Close 1 Close 2 Close. 3. I have very good hearing, and I notice the note icons above each section are the same four notes. Any suggestions or info Thankyou. Ray.

tyrosman

Re: Keyboard Harmony Type. Query.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
these are for the likes of Glyn miller sounds  also are nice on some string sounds

Offline acparker

Re: Keyboard Harmony Type. Query.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
Hi Ray,

I really like to use the Ensemble voices when I can as I think they sound really good for the songs I like to play.  And, there are differences, between the Close 1, Close 2, and Close 3 in Ensemble mode, but importantly, not for every cord.  Here are three examples.  I used the 'Miller Time' Ensemble voice for this chart.

Left HandRight Hand Close 1Close 2Close 3
G-ChordGG-D-B-G |G-E-D-B |G-D-B-G |
G7GG-F-D-B |G-F-D-B |G-F-D-B |
GsusGG-D-C-B |G-D-D-C |G-D-C-B |

So, from that small sample, it looks like Close 3 and Close 1 do the same in Ensemble voice with some differences in Close 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if other chords produced different results.  In case you weren't aware, you can see what notes are sounding in Ensemble mode if you tap the sliders icon in the upper right of the voice selection screen with an ensemble voice active.

EDIT:  It occurred to me afterwards, that it might also effect note selection in chord progressions, or moving from one chord to another.  I didn't check on this (yet).

BTW, One annoyance for me is that the Ensemble voices do not honor 'On-Bass' chords, at least in AI mode. (I don't know about 'Fingered On Bass', I don't use it, I'm not that good.) If I play a G/B using the AI system, the Ensemble voice will stubbornly play G-D-B-G.  My current work around is to use the bass from the style, set it accordingly, and mute the lowest ensemble voice.  But getting the balance right is annoying.

Adam

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:28:24 PM by acparker »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively