Author Topic: Connecting to Computer  (Read 3925 times)

tnanock

Connecting to Computer
« on: April 11, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
I did a search on this but cannot find what I'm looking for. When I first got the PSR970, I was on this site extensively and watched several of Fred's videos. (Thanks by the way!) I remember him showing how to connect the keyboard to a computer and then renaming the registration files on the computer instead of using the keyboard's buttons to type in the names. I cannot find that video again. I have watched all the ones under "Registrations" and the only thing that comes close is the one about making a Gig List. In this video, he holds down the Music Finder key to put into USB Storage Mode. However, when I do that, nothing happens.

What am I missing? My Windows 10 laptop recognizes that I have a 'Digital Keyboard' connected but does not give me any options to use Windows Explorer.

Thanks!

Kim

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Connecting to Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 07:20:58 PM »
I did a search on this but cannot find what I'm looking for. When I first got the PSR970, I was on this site extensively and watched several of Fred's videos. (Thanks by the way!) I remember him showing how to connect the keyboard to a computer and then renaming the registration files on the computer instead of using the keyboard's buttons to type in the names. I cannot find that video again. I have watched all the ones under "Registrations" and the only thing that comes close is the one about making a Gig List. In this video, he holds down the Music Finder key to put into USB Storage Mode. However, when I do that, nothing happens.

What am I missing? My Windows 10 laptop recognizes that I have a 'Digital Keyboard' connected but does not give me any options to use Windows Explorer.

What you're missing is if your keyboard supports only USB sticks, like all PSRs, you just take your stick to your computer, and work on it there.

The "USB Storage Mode" (Power ON + Music Finder button) works only on keyboards with a hard drive, like the Tyros models.

For Genos, relevant button sequence is Power On + Playlist button. This will access the User drive.

For SX models, I'm not sure whether the sequence is supported or not.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

tnanock

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
Thank you!

Kim

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
Hi Kim,

what you can do:

Download and install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (32-bit or 64-bit version, depending on your Windows system):

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=usb-midi+driver+v3.1.4

Note: Connect the S910 to the PC (using a USB type AB cable) BEFORE installing the USB-MIDI driver).

Then download and install the "Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=musicsoft

Now, using the MusicSoft Downloader, you can access the USER drive of the S910 as well as currently to the S910 connected USB sticks.

Right click on a file to copy, paste, rename or delete it.

Note: MusicSoft Downloader uses the USB-MIDI connection. Therefore, the described is only suitable for SMALL files such as Registration files, Styles, MIDI files or Voice files (e.g. .vce), i.e. NOT for relatively large files (e.g. .wav).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:26:40 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

Thanks!

Kim

The name Digital Keyboard means that Windows has automatically installed generic drivers for Yamaha (video 2.00sec). As @tnanock says, you have to install the official Yamaha drivers (watch my video from the beginning).
https://youtu.be/U9yOmmYcxxw

Renaming Registering in a windows explorer can be done by setting the keyboard to Storage mode. PSR and Tyros hold MDF, and SX and Genos hold Playlist.
https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY

I recommend that you use Yamaha Registration Manager to process Registration on your computer. The keyboard does not have to be connected and you rename the computer. This is a video that describes something else but will help you understand what it is all about.
https://youtu.be/Rr33PrEfYvs
Watch my video channel

tnanock

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 02:27:12 AM »
Thank you all.

Kim