Author Topic: Surface Genos cover  (Read 6911 times)

Offline soryt

Surface Genos cover
« on: April 11, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »
After more than 2 years of use, the surface of the Genos starts to show some signs of use, in particular you see that there are some shiny areas where you often put your hands to operate div buttons. Well, I am investigating whether there is a possibility to have a company make a kind of face plate made of very thin aluminum plate with a brushed surface and then the texts printed or lasered on it. This will take some time to develop and it is also important whether there is interest and what people want to pay for it. Let us know in a comment what you think and if you are interested in buying this or want to help develop it further?

Soneg  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ton37

Re: Surface Genos cover
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »
You mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8FoE1p-6c  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
It's a brilliant idea, Soryt, however, the Genos is a very expensive keyboard and I doubt anyone would want to invest several hundred more dollars (or whatever their currency is) to compensate for Yahama's cost-cutting measures that will do nothing but degrade the future trade-in value or sale of our Genos keyboards.

The Genos is the best sounding keyboard to date but the most poorly constructed. My numbers are starting to wear off and the black surface is showing signs of wear in places frequented by my fingertips and palms. Truly unacceptable for a $6,000 keyboard!! I just hope the buttons and keys last longer than the poor surface construction.

One time during a show, my music partner accidentally flung a 1/4 inch cable the wrong way and it smacked the top of my Tyros 5. I closed my eyes and grit my teeth hoping that nothing was broken. I looked for two minutes and couldn't see where his cable end had struck my T5! If that had been my Genos, it would have left yet another mark >:(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
You mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8FoE1p-6c  ;)
Ugh...!!! I couldn't look at something like that for a three-hour gig!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
At least it is 'glowing in the dark'  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
At least it is 'glowing in the dark'  ;D ;D
Guaranteed to repel Coronavirus ;). All you'd need after that is a cure for color blindness.

Seriously, Soryt - what sort of design are you thinking of? It sounds like you're not talking about a hideous plastic decal like the one shown in the video. You're probably talking about a complete top panel replacement? Big bucks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:15:01 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
Fyi
https://youtu.be/aVC2ffmuL3U
A transparent cover, is anorher option??
My best regards,
Ton

Offline vanzee

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »
Wear gloves, chic and cheap :P
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline soryt

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
Yess , i know and see them all , the colored cover is realy ugly  ( to my tatste)  and plastic sheet cover is to much shiny material .( reflecting)
I am thinking about the surface structure like the PA 4X have , black brushed aluminium with nice texting on it or like the mid plate on the Sx900 ( yes they can )

I agree that the build quality of the Genos not suiting this price range
But Yamaha has nothing to solve this "problem", and before there is a successor to the Genos again it will take a while
And meanwhile it doesn't get any better

Soneg
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 04:37:32 PM »
Wear gloves, chic and cheap :P
Yes, and nowadays we wash our hands almost each minute, os no chance the keys and buttons go dirty . However, as Soryt is worried about, how long can the Genos/Sx be, more orless intensively, use without malfuntions or defect of the buttons or surface??
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
Ugliest keyboard cover I've seen ever  :(
I think it is a mockery to its keyboard :(

Sorry, it is my opinion.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline soryt

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »
Ugliest keyboard cover I've seen ever  :(
I think it is a mockery to its keyboard :(

Sorry, it is my opinion.

Which do you mean ?

Offline Colin D

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
My buttons have started to loose their numbers, especially Reg 1, I seem to have to press this to start the song after selecting in the playlist.  The build quality is really poor,
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »

Vali Maties - Genos

Online overover

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »
My buttons have started to loose their numbers, especially Reg 1, I seem to have to press this to start the song after selecting in the playlist.  The build quality is really poor,

Hi Niceonetidy,

you can EDIT each Playlist record to load a certain Registration automatically. To call up "Playlist Record Edit" display, touch [Edit] in "Playlist" display.

Please refer also to page 96 / 97 in Genos Owner's Manual.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »
Hi
If you see your Genos surface getting shiny use Glasses lens cleaner or record cleaner on surface with a clean paper towel
 and you are then back to Matt Black. also great to clean the screen with soft camera or glasses lens cloth.

I also use the Henry hoover to get the dust  out and you only have to use a thin nozzle and a little care.
Always wipe the keys with damp cloth.

I also clean my 50 inch tv screen with specsavers glasses cleaner with a special pad that you can buy. No smears only clear vision

all the best
John 8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:55:31 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline soryt

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:17 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, my problem is not that the texts and the buttons are worn out, I just don't like the gloss difference that becomes visible after using this machine for a while. and I thought if there are more people who agree with this than that there may be a clever solution for it in the form of a metal decorative plate to keep the whole a neat professional look, now that I read all the reactions there is too little interest in putting a lot of energy into it and leaving it at that for what it is.
  Everyone have a nice Easter and let's continue with some music.

Greeting
Soneg  8)

Offline Colin D

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
Hi Niceonetidy,

you can EDIT each Playlist record to load a certain Registration automatically. To call up "Playlist Record Edit" display, touch [Edit] in "Playlist" display.

Please refer also to page 96 / 97 in Genos Owner's Manual.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris,

That is so useful, I would not have worn out button 1 if I had that,

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 12:02:12 AM »
I have a little mixed feelings about this.
If text wear out that is bad, and if the surface of the instrument shows signs of use, it is bad when you want to sell your instrument. But on the other hand marks on the surface is also telling a history of use, the instrument had a life, it was used, and the user had much joy playing it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 01:58:33 AM »
Very true, Toril. We have a saying in my part of Canada, "If your gear looks too clean and pristine, you're not working enough!"

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
The thing is wash your hands before you play your keyboard. You need to keep grease from skin and sweet away from surfaces as this dose not help. A dampened tissue and micro fibre cloth will bring it up like new.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 03:48:26 PM »
Washing sure helps, Eileen but as we continue to play along, our skin excretes oils on a regular basis, depending on one's own biology.

I like your idea of wiping the keyboard down often - perhaps after every session. I've seen many guitarists over the years wipe down the neck of their Fender guitars with a clean cloth after every set. Failure to do so can allow the body oils to dissolve the varnish over time. I tried cleaning my Genos but a thin film remains. It may be too late to take my own advice :(!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 09:13:42 AM »
Hi Eileen

What if you have  Psoriasis?  ;D
oh well, ask a silly question. lol

I must admit washing your hands does also help your fingers slipping off keys.

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Well John
  I have C. A. D which means my skin is very dry and sheds like dust and am light sensitive but don't have problems keeping my keyboard clean.