Author Topic: static in volume contol  (Read 2039 times)

bemp

static in volume contol
« on: September 29, 2022, 03:16:59 PM »
Hello-
There is a long standing problem with LOUD annoying static when using the volume control.....which can make the left speaker cut out.
I've had the volume control replaced, but the issue is still there.
Questions:
1.)  Is there anyone else who has experienced this same problem?
2.)  If so, what did you do to eliminate the issue?
Any help will be appreciated.
-bemp

Offline overover

Re: static in volume contol
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 05:48:54 PM »
Hi bemp,

Does the problem only occur when using the internal speakers, or also when connecting to an external sound system or headphones? If the problem also occurs through the external system (connected to the OUTPUT L/R jacks) or connected headphones, the problem is probably with the Master Volume potentiometer (although you have had this replaced before). The analog Main signal, which is output via the internal speakers, the outputs L/R and the headphones jack, runs through this stereo potentiometer. It is possible that a (carbon) resistance track on this potentiometer is damaged, causing the dreaded "potentiometer scratching" or the stereo channel in question to stop working.

If the problem does NOT occur via an external system or headphones, but only via the internal speakers, it is probably NOT the Master Volume potentiometer, but there is a problem in the signal path to the internal speakers (e.g. a loose internal cable/connector or defective Component in the OP amps or the power amp for the internal speakers).

A remote diagnosis is not possible here, i.e. someone who is familiar with Yamaha keyboards would have to take a look at the keyboard. For economic reasons, however, I'm afraid that major repairs to an PSR-S900/S700 (introduced in 2006) no longer make sense.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:50:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)