Author Topic: Where does the Chord Voice come from?  (Read 1999 times)

Henry Millbrook

Where does the Chord Voice come from?
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »
You sit at a keyboard (all PSR's I've ever owned, HS organs and Genos etc.) with Accompaniment on but no style playing and no left hand voice.
You play a chord and a stringy sort of sound is produced. Yet no lights show in the style section.
Where does this sound and it's voice come from?
I'm mystified. Does anyone know?

Offline Rick D.

Re: Where does the Chord Voice come from?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
Henry,

Not positive, but I think all the keyboards default to one voice on start-up.

Rick D.

Offline vanzee

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »
I don't know where it comes from, but it can be muted.
In Genos:
Menu2 > Style Setting > "Stop ACMP" > select "OFF"
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
Hi Henry,

in addition to vanzee's words, here a quote from page 11 in the Genos Reference Manual:

When the [ACMP] button is turned on and the [SYNC START] button is off, you can play chords in
the chord section of the keyboard with the Style stopped, and still hear the accompaniment chord.
In this condition—called “Stop Accompaniment”—any valid chord fingerings are recognized and
the chord root/type are shown in the Style area of the Home display. Here, you can determine
whether the chord played in the chord section will sound or not in the Stop Accompaniment status.
Off: The chord played in the chord section will not sound.
Style: The chord played in the chord section will sound via the Voices for the Pad channel and the
Bass channel of the selected Style.
Fixed: The chord played in the chord section will sound via the specified Pad/Bass chan-
nels’ Voices, regardless of the selected Style.

When the selected Style contains MegaVoices, unexpected sounds may result when this is set to “Style.”

NOTE
When you record a Song, the chord detected by playing the Stop Accompaniment can be recorded regardless of the setting here.

Please note that both the sounding Voice and chord data is recorded when set to “Style,” and only the chord data is recorded when set to “Off” or “Fixed.”

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:12:47 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
The default background sound you're hearing Henry is a string pad. I've been playing these keyboards for years and dual manual organs before that. I think the string pad was carried forward from the 1960s as a way of filling the gaps, so to speak. As Vanzee said, you can turn it off. I'm not sure how Yamaha implements it or where it comes from. I assume it's a layered voice that resides in the Accompaniment area.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Roy_T

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 12:43:42 AM »
Yes, Lee!  Since my Wurlitzer and Lowery days, I have always referred to that sound as the "rhythm-off drone" or the "no-rhythm drone".  I think I chose the word drone, because I never found anything "melodic" about it at all.

Roy
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:59:36 AM by Roy_T »

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »
Good one, Roy :). Yes, the voice is just there, sort of like the mortar that resides between the bricks on a house.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.