Author Topic: Yamaha Genos V2.02 - Bugs, Problems And some shortcomings  (Read 14545 times)

Offline Zaurafon

Yamaha Genos V2.02 - Bugs, Problems And some shortcomings
« on: April 05, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
Yamaha Genos V2.02 - Bugs, Problems And some shortcomings

1. If you drop all the sliders down and restart the button you will see that all the parameters will be 100 except for Song A.

2. If you put two or three Insert effects in one voice and change a parameter to all effects and save it to the registration memory, you will see that it will save only the parameters from the last effect you have selected will reset to default Mode. That is, 40 as it originally was. This problem is valid from version 1.40 onwards. That is, the sound I saved before version 1.40 Everything works fine.

3. Does not store sounds in OTS with two or three Insert effects. That is, do I have to select a sound that does not have more than one effect to put it in OTS? I don't think that makes sense.

4. Drum Setup at Style Creator No more than 70 Drum Kits from Expansion. And what he brings out is in order. I have my own packages, I have purchased packages, and I have a lot of REX Files and I can't use them in Drum Setup. and it would be a good idea to put together a list search like the previous models. Imagine turning the washer until you find what you want.

4A. About the point 4, it also would be great to see a SAVE button on your edited drum kit. Maybe Yamaha could implement this function also in Song, Multipads and main panel. For example: when you select a Organ Flute voice, the Voice Edit tab call the drawbars page. So, when you select a drum voice, the Voice Edit tab could call the Drum Setup page with the ability to edit single parts and save your new drum set, that you can use everywere.

4B. There is also a small bug into the Drum Setup function: immediately after entering the Drum Setup page, the reverb activates itself without being able to adjust it.

4C. if possible, add 8 separate channels for REX2 files and correct the waveforms limit since the Maximum Number of Waveforms is 32768 When uploading to the YEM Drum Kit or REX File For some reason, it takes almost three times as much space as From real WaveForms. For example, if you created a Drum Kit in which there are 100 wave elements, then for some reason in YEM about 250 waveforms are created, of which 150 are empty junk files. You can do it as a simple Sample Voice No matter how much Wave Files you load on a single sound, a maximum of 8 waveforms is used.

5. I would like to create a style and use a mega voice bass to be able to write on a channel and Play and Slide Gliss And Noise which is in the upper octave after the C6 note. That is to say, if I write on one channel all that changing chord will change the top notes C6 And up While this should be a fix. As in the factory. The factory rhythms are so written while not allowing us to do so why?

6. We'd like to add us to Style Creator Different Signatures in any Variations. Or at least in Fills We can write at least 2 Measure.

7. To the style creator In the Assembly option We can copy Rhythm1-2 paste to any other bank of the same type and upside down.

8. Please add CASM Editor to Style Creator. Why not have the option of writing as factory rates are written?

9. The MP3 player from the first version to this day has problems. Example if I have say 100 songs in the stick from the 100 to 70 and they will appear in the Playlist And from those 70 again it will bug me in some songs.

10. We would like to add the Link Volume Level feature to the mixer. This would help us to mix the rhythms and songs quickly and correctly. That is, they happen to give me a rhythm that is written much louder than the factory rhythm; this would help to lower the sound quickly and efficiently.

11. In Scale Tune we would like Cent to go + -99. So that we can make sounds like Terca, for example. As it is now + -64 Except for the Arabic ladder it doesn't help us in anything.

12. Add to the MultiPad Creator, the Quantize option. As it would be great for Style Creator to add the export To MultiPad option to one of the channels.

13. We can set the Volume on each Pad separately in MultiPads. As is the case with Audio Link MultiPad. In MultiPads Change EQ parameters. The Insert effects feature. And the option in the settings can work as a start stop on the Pads. That is, the first push plays the Pad, the second push stops the Pad.

14. We'd like to voice in Legato Portamento in Poly Mode. This helps in the Reality of the violin. As an example of Oriental Strings.
And Fix Portamento Time In Crossfade Mode. That is when you have Portamento Time Indicator 0 There is a great Timing Between the two notes, While it should normally pass faster and sharply.

15. Make editing option among Insert effects. That is, if I have put in two or three effects in a sound and want to change parameters in one of the effects, I first have to close the effect and reopen it so that I can select it. Otherwise I can only tease out the last effect I have added to Echo. In a nutshell if I want to go back to the first effect I've added and edit a parameter I need to get Mixer, effects, Assign Part Settings, find the effect I want to edit, close it and reopen it so I can tease after the parameters)))

16. Add the option when in home mode We can set the washer where we want it. Example BPM tempo shift. Why do I press the tempo button first and then turn the washer?

Yamaha Expansion Manager v2.6.0

17. Add Element Copy Paste From Another Voice. That is, I have a sound ready and I want to get an Element And put it in another sound that I make to not load the samples again An One.

18. Why can't I edit Rom Sounds? Example to Change Note Range Ή to Change Velocity Range? That I could tease up to PSR 9000, Tyros1-2-4 Here's why I can't do these things?

19. And I would add Sample Edit, Loop Edit. Just examples I have some sounds that have not been set Right or Loops, How can I fix if I don't have the original samples In SF2 format or Wave, AIFF?))) In Motif and Montage Again there is good John Melas. Who will help us here?)))
Let's add at least export In SF2 format So we can do something.

20. I would like to add the Note Relase feature. That is, letting the note reproduce the sound. This exists in factory sounds because it doesn't exist in users?

21. We want to define the Elements The Art 1-2-3 buttons. Why Do I Have Three Useless Buttons When Using User Sounds?

Audio Phraser v1.0.1

22. Fill in & Break Not work correctly

23. A function to create/edit Arpeggios. Have them independent for the various voices R1/R2/R3 would be great!

24. Not working the sustain pental on Style Creator, (unacceptable)

25. In the Audio Chanel there is not EQ..

26. When we record any part in an Audio Style that we have created with the Audio phraser, when we try to quantize the part is not on time.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:50:21 PM by Zaurafon »

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs, Mikk, Sokratis1974, jazzy_beat

Re: Yamaha Genos V2.02 Bugs & Problems And some shortcomings
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »
Bravo Zauri!!
Exelent list!!!
This is really problems that need to be solved and not fixed problems like (the indication lamps MIDI indicator on the Mixer display would not work)..
Also:
24) Not working the sustain pental on Style Creator, (unacceptable)  >:(

25) In the Audio Chanel there is not EQ..

26) When we record any part in an Audio Style that we have created with the Audio phraser, when we try to quantize the part is not on time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:12:21 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline EileenL

Re: Yamaha Genos V2.02 - Bugs, Problems And some shortcomings
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 01:10:08 PM »
If you are serious about these improvements then I hope you have sent this list  to Yamaha direct.
  It dose no good putting it on here unless you follow up with reporting it to Yamaha.

The following users thanked this post: Richard001

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 01:16:23 PM »
If you are serious about these improvements then I hope you have sent this list  to Yamaha direct.
  It dose no good putting it on here unless you follow up with reporting it to Yamaha.

In my opinion, Yamaha is not serious about its consumers. I sent this list to them several times, but unfortunately I did not receive any response. Therefore, I posted this list of the court so that other users confirm and write a complaint to yamaha

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
The only way that Yamaha paid attention to its users, and to these Problems. If all users redirect this list (and add their own) to Yamaha suport, then I think this will help solve all the Problems.

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »
If anyone has doubts about my list, then this is easy to check; just turn on the keyboard and check all the items described above. Also do not forget to check the program YEM & Audio Phraser

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
In my opinion, Yamaha is not serious about its consumers. I sent this list to them several times, but unfortunately I did not receive any response. Therefore, I posted this list of the court so that other users confirm and write a complaint to yamaha

I disagree. If Yamaha didn't listen to their customers, they wouldn't be selling anything. However, customers are diverse, and Yamaha has limited resources.

Frankly, there are lots of other things I would like to see Yamaha working on than any on your list.

If you think Yamaha is so bad, why are you using their product?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
I disagree. If Yamaha didn't listen to their customers, they wouldn't be selling anything. However, customers are diverse, and Yamaha has limited resources.

Frankly, there are lots of other things I would like to see Yamaha working on than any on your list.

If you think Yamaha is so bad, why are you using their product?

Cheers,
Fred
If it sells well in your country, this does not mean that it sells well everywhere. I can confidently say that in the Balkan East and Caucasus countries it is sold very poorly in these regions, there are a lot of countries, open the map and see Believe in these countries more than 90% use it with Korg, since the functionality there is very large And there are no restrictions. why do I use Yamaha? Reason for this only  sound and the converters that stand on it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:24:14 AM by Zaurafon »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »
Most people do not use all these complex features anyway.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
Most people do not use all these complex features anyway.
Well, why does everyone have such thinking? The fact that most people do not use all these complex functions does not mean that all this is superfluous. Let's cross out the playlist button or midi player Vocal Harmony. And there are still many different functions that I don’t use. They are not needed for me. All that is listed above is necessary for those who create sounds & Styles. Are there people who use only one sound, for example, a piano, do you have to remove all buttons and all other functions as sounds and leave only the on off button of the piano instrument?

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
Guys, let's be objective if someone doesn’t need these functions, just don’t pay attention to the post and scroll further with all due respect

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »
........ Francesco

Good points Francesco,
and in addition to what you say, there is also a line at the bottom of the 'what's done' list: -Fixed other problems.
We never know what the problems that's fixed is, but it's probably worth to run the updates from Yamaha before we complaint about what's not working properly ...... 😊
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 12:15:07 AM »
The first item in my post is this bug. Present from version 2.0. As I said, I contacted Yamaha. Several times after that, two versions 2.01 & 2.02 came out. But they still did not fix this error.

The second item, this bug appeared on version 1.40. After that, they released version 1.41, v2.00 v2.01, v2.02. But the problem has not been fixed. I have some sounds that I saved in Registration Memory up to version 1.40. They still work Correctly.
MP3 player from the first version has problems, it just may not represent half the songs.
I have a question. and why before asking questions just do not turn on the Genos and go through all these points and check yourself?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:21:21 AM by Zaurafon »

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 08:18:25 AM »
Ok...
Yamaha call Genos as (Digital Workstation), and not just (Arranger Player).
However Yamaha called Tyros 5 as (ultimate performance keyboard)..
(In Tyros5 Yamaha has created the ultimate performance keyboard)..
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/index.html#product-tabs
When call a product as Digital Workstation it's different thing from (ultimate performance keyboard)..
With Workstation we can to create music without the need of different piece of equipment.
A music workstation is an electronic musical instrument providing the facilities of:
a sound module,
a music sequencer and
(usually) a musical keyboard.
It enables a musician to compose electronic music using just one piece of equipment. (wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_workstation

So.. Can this happen on Genos?..
Yamaha with Genos addresses in the music producer:
(Welcome to the new world of Digital Workstations. Genos is the new benchmark in Digital Workstation sound, design and user experience.Whether you are in a recording studio or on stage, Genos will inspire and intensify your musical creation and performance.)
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/index.html

Yamaha is calling the music creator to create music or sound design with Genos, but without the appropriate tools that needs the Music producers or Sound and Style designers..
Therefore... When a company calls something as Digital Workstation then it is not enough just to name as Workstation but to be Workstation..

And please attention to the difference: It's a different thing to performance music and different to produce music or sound and style design..
For performance music Genos is very good...
But for produce music, or sound and style design Genos it's very poor...

My opinion is that Genos it's not a Workstation (until today) but a Arranger player, with top quality sound..
Genos it has the top quality of sound on the world and for this reason I insist and I will insist and I will try to create despite the  limitations...
I am happy with sound quality of Genos..
I am not happy with capabilities of Genos..

And I will be a complaint here:
I reads this forum every day...
Many times I reads various complaints from several of you about some problems or limitations with Genos...
I respect and we respect all your views and concerns...
But neither I nor anyone else said:
Since I don't use them then they don't need to...
So why do some people do this to us when we also we expose some limitations or problems??....

P.S.. Sorry for my bad English...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:34:42 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline John T4

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
well said Sokratis1974

John

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

Offline Luluc

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 05:28:33 PM »
The only way that Yamaha paid attention to its users, and to these Problems. If all users redirect this list (and add their own) to Yamaha suport, then I think this will help solve all the Problems.

For my information, what is the e-mail contact of Yamaha support for the Genos product ?

I'm a newbee, but as far I understand the world of the arrangers, the arrangers are made mainly for an 'average' player, with no negative connotation.
For advanced players/musicians, there are always many features missing.

Another thing to considerate, for about 4000 bucks we pay the Genos, we can honestly, from Yamaha, wait for fixing/enhancing many features which don't require very much time in developpement. Many items of your list are examples.

Luluc
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 06:08:47 PM »
For my information, what is the e-mail contact of Yamaha support for the Genos product ?

I'm a newbee, but as far I understand the world of the arrangers, the arrangers are made mainly for an 'average' player, with no negative connotation.
For advanced players/musicians, there are always many features missing.

Another thing to considerate, for about 4000 bucks we pay the Genos, we can honestly, from Yamaha, wait for fixing/enhancing many features which don't require very much time in developpement. Many items of your list are examples.

Luluc

EU.SupportMI@contact.europe.yamaha.com

Unfortunately, each region has its own service center directly from Yamaha, you can’t get in touch with this and the whole problem is we don’t know what comes to the developers and what doesn’t come from what we ask. You said correctly for $ 4000 Genos Must have all the features of Montage. Which costs $ 1,500 Cheaper than Genos. Into the account of MoDX It’s better not to say at all which you can buy for 1000 € In which you can do almost everything in Montage.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
EU Support of Yamaha is Germany support team, which in my opinion was every time subjective, and they also does not know a lot of things.  :-X

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Musky

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 07:41:04 PM »
if possible, add 8 separate channels for REX2 files and correct the waveforms limit since the Maximum Number of Waveforms is 32768 When uploading to the YEM Drum Kit or REX File For some reason, it takes almost three times as much space as From real WaveForms. For example, if you created a Drum Kit in which there are 100 wave elements, then for some reason in YEM about 250 waveforms are created, of which 150 are empty junk files. You can do it as a simple Sample Voice No matter how much Wave Files you load on a single sound, a maximum of 8 waveforms is used.

Offline metcam

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
Ok...
Yamaha call Genos as (Digital Workstation), and not just (Arranger Player).
However Yamaha called Tyros 5 as (ultimate performance keyboard)..
(In Tyros5 Yamaha has created the ultimate performance keyboard)..
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/index.html#product-tabs
When call a product as Digital Workstation it's different thing from (ultimate performance keyboard)..
With Workstation we can to create music without the need of different piece of equipment.
A music workstation is an electronic musical instrument providing the facilities of:
a sound module,
a music sequencer and
(usually) a musical keyboard.
It enables a musician to compose electronic music using just one piece of equipment. (wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_workstation

So.. Can this happen on Genos?..
Yamaha with Genos addresses in the music producer:
(Welcome to the new world of Digital Workstations. Genos is the new benchmark in Digital Workstation sound, design and user experience.Whether you are in a recording studio or on stage, Genos will inspire and intensify your musical creation and performance.)
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/index.html

Yamaha is calling the music creator to create music or sound design with Genos, but without the appropriate tools that needs the Music producers or Sound and Style designers..
Therefore... When a company calls something as Digital Workstation then it is not enough just to name as Workstation but to be Workstation..

And please attention to the difference: It's a different thing to performance music and different to produce music or sound and style design..
For performance music Genos is very good...
But for produce music, or sound and style design Genos it's very poor...

My opinion is that Genos it's not a Workstation (until today) but a Arranger player, with top quality sound..
Genos it has the top quality of sound on the world and for this reason I insist and I will insist and I will try to create despite the  limitations...
I am happy with sound quality of Genos..
I am not happy with capabilities of Genos..

And I will be a complaint here:
I reads this forum every day...
Many times I reads various complaints from several of you about some problems or limitations with Genos...
I respect and we respect all your views and concerns...
But neither I nor anyone else said:
Since I don't use them then they don't need to...
So why do some people do this to us when we also we expose some limitations or problems??....

P.S.. Sorry for my bad English...

AMEN!!!

Well said Sokratis1974
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 08:55:52 AM »
I would also fill in some important shortcomings:
1. Lack of Function "(+) and (-)" OCTAVE "on each track in the STYLE arranger.
2. The arranger does not interpret on the 8 tracks instruments with MONO-LEGATO and MONO-POLY.
3. The 16 tracks in Style are insufficient for several chord variants (for example at Korg they are called CVs and it has 6 variants on each variation, the markings are stringed, at yamaha they are superimposed) if they are still superimposed at least 32 tracks to allow more overlaps and the result of more variations of different agreements, I think they understand what they are saying because they are great engineers and Yamaha has some connections with Korg, I do not want to believe that they are based on the same shareholders, the same owners, and that these I do it intentionally to sell both brands ... or maybe I guessed it! Why do some KORG models have Yamaha parts and keyboards?

Offline ckobu

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 09:32:32 AM »

1. Lack of Function "(+) and (-)" OCTAVE "on each track in the arranger.

This function already exists with the Yamahe arranger, I think since '98.  ;)

https://youtu.be/LnYs0n88g3E?t=323
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
This function already exists with the Yamahe arranger, I think since '98.  ;)

https://youtu.be/LnYs0n88g3E?t=323

To their shame in Style there is no such trivial function! Other brands have always existed! In order to raise or lower an octave in Style you have to run with it (the style) in the computer which is a rather cumbersome work and requires extra time! (I didn't say song or UPPER, I was referring strictly to Style but our friend didn't understand what I meant).

Offline ckobu

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 04:38:08 PM »
@iulistil2 - Obviously you didn't watch the video I posted in the link. If you look at it I hope you will realize that you live in great ignorance and delusion.  ;)

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
@iulistil2 - Obviously you didn't watch the video I posted in the link. If you look at it I hope you will realize that you live in great ignorance and delusion.  ;)

The High Key / Note Limit function is completely different, moreover you have to enter Style Creator, it's not the same thing I ask for! Thanks for the tutorial this was no secret to me, I ask real time function is completely different and Yamaha although it is my favorite has a lot of fixed ideas!

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 06:50:45 PM »
iulistil2, do you mean a simply Octave + - function for each channel in mixer? I think it's a good idea and not so hard to implement on software. I often find voices that sound in a different octave and listen to the result in real-time would be great.

Francesco
Exact! That's what all other brands have always had! That's how Korg, Roland, Generalmusic and others have it, but Yamaha, as it stands, doesn't really listen to us, those of us who love it, these simple functions should be implemented because it's not difficult at all! A good day!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »
So to be as clear as possible: I love Yamaha but let's face it there are things that don't intentionally want to implement it!

As their resources are limited, every company sets priorities based on what it thinks will appeal to the widest number of consumers. Otherwise, they'd go out of business. I'd rather Yamaha stay in business.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
iulistil2, do you mean a simply Octave + - function for each channel in mixer? I think it's a good idea and not so hard to implement on software. I often find voices that sound in a different octave and listen to the result in real-time would be great. ...

Hi Francesco,

The problem here would be where to SAVE this parameter, I think.

Such an "Octave Offset" parameter for Style Parts cannot be saved directly to the Style file, I guess. So, this would be a "playback option" only and it could probably only memorized to Registrations.

If there was such an option (for simple octave shifting) in the current style file format, Yamaha would have already implemented this in the keyboards.

I myself consider the current method (restricting the range of notes played to ABSOLUTE values with "High Key", "Note Limit Low / High parameters) in principle to be sufficient or even better, since with a "normal" octave shift a Style Part may sound too high or too low, depending on the key played.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:47:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

beykock

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
Hi Chris :

Are all these Genos complaints justified ... I am confused.

Nowadays the new SX serie seems to be a very successful commercial keyboard for Yamaha though ... but ... what about the Genos ?

Kind regards,
Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 12:45:36 PM »
Genos is a great keyboard but some people will never be satisfied what ever they put on it. For me and I know many others it is a joy to sit and play and surely that is what you are supposed to do with it. As for style creation if the octave of a part is to low it is probably a style that has been converted from a different keyboard. Delete that part and record the section an octave higher. What is the problem.
I think we all get fed up with hearing all these negative and silly complaints. It is what it is and we all had the opportunity to try the keyboard and ask questions before we bought it. Yes there have been one or two faults as happens with all makes of keyboard but Yamaha have put all these things right and given us a lot of extra's with the latest update. Now is the time surely to be thankful we have these great instruments to keep us busy in these hard times.
  Stay safe everyone.

Offline overover

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
Hi Chris :

Are all these Genos complaints justified ... I am confused.

Nowadays the new SX serie seems to be a very successful commercial keyboard for Yamaha though ... but ... what about the Genos ?

Kind regards,
Babette

Hi Babette,

I think people whine at a high level here.

With Genos and the SX models we have great keyboards. But nothing is perfect, so there is still room for improvement for Yamaha.

Just a small example: In 2014 the (Japanese) Genos development team was in Germany and a small group of German Tyros5 users (to which I also belonged) was able to discuss important things with "the Japanese" regarding the further development of the Yamaha arranger keyboard line. (At that time, the name "Genos" was not yet officially used. ;) )

Some of the things mentioned at that time are now in the Genos (and SX models), others have still not been realized. For example, every user would like to be able to see directly on the keyboard which parameter groups are saved in a specific registration (i.e. which checkboxes were set when the registration was memorized). But to this day you can only find out by "trying it out" or with the help of a computer program ...

But all in all: Let us enjoy what we already have and we are all the more pleased when small improvements are added every now and then via updates. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

beykock

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Thank you Eileen and Chris for your very positive comments. :)

Babette

tyrosman

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
Genos is a great keyboard but some people will never be satisfied what ever they put on it. For me and I know many others it is a joy to sit and play and surely that is what you are supposed to do with it. As for style creation if the octave of a part is to low it is probably a style that has been converted from a different keyboard. Delete that part and record the section an octave higher. What is the problem.
I think we all get fed up with hearing all these negative and silly complaints. It is what it is and we all had the opportunity to try the keyboard and ask questions before we bought it. Yes there have been one or two faults as happens with all makes of keyboard but Yamaha have put all these things right and given us a lot of extra's with the latest update. Now is the time surely to be thankful we have these great instruments to keep us busy in these hard times.
  Stay safe everyone.
very well said Eileen this forum is becoming a Joke >:(  they all have somthing to say about this fantastic Keyboard they all like somthing to moan a bout

Offline Zaurafon

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Guys, I repeat again who does not like our requests, you can just get by with the edge without paying attention to what we ask. If you think that in the world there is only European foreign pop and Jazz music, then you are deeply mistaken. If you think that everyone uses only Factory sounds and rhythms, then you are again mistaken. There are so many countries that have different national instruments that do not exist in any instrument like Factory Voice. This also applies to rhythm, and in order to create these sounds and rhythms we need all these functions. And if you’re used to everything that’s ready, just try to create something of your own once And then you will understand what we mean. And I ask you to respect the opinions of others, and if I'm talking nonsense, then let the administrators delete my post. Thank you for your respect.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
No we do not think posts like these are nonsense. I do realise that we do not all play the same type of music or need the same type of sounds. Yamaha do try to cover most countries but you can only get so much on a keyboard in the way of Styles and Voices. This is why we now have quite a few packs we can use for this and on the latter keyboards the flash memory is now included so we don't have the large expense of buying it anymore. Together with the YEM we have a very large choice of the type of music we can play. I think though that we must be realistic and realise that no keyboard will ever have everything we all want and that it would not be possible for keyboards to be manufactured for different markets as the expense would be to great.
   Keep Safe

keynote

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 09:52:41 PM »
Again I would like to voice a request to Yamaha engineers to try and solve the data transfer bottleneck when trying to access and play MIDI files on the USER drive. When I first turn on my Genos and go into the USER drive to play MIDI files accessing them is a snap. The folders and files within the folders open very quickly. But then about 5 or so minutes later when trying to access and play files again and navigate back and forth between folders that contain the files things slow down to a crawl for some reason. In some instances it takes 5 or more minutes to access file content within a folder and/or sub-folder. If you're doing a live performance gig it is completely unacceptable and also very frustrating when doing studio work. I have about 6.5 GB of MIDI files on the USER drive (only MIDI, nothing else) but they are all sorted within folders and sub-folders well within the folder file limit of the Genos.

This problem didn't happen prior to OS version 1.40 if my memory serves me right. But particularly after the 2.0 update things really started to turn south. And I would think it has to be some kind of software code conflict somewhere along the line in my opinion. I hate to go back to a early OS version because OS 2.0/2.02 offers so much more than previous versions except for this glitch I'm referring to that makes blood spurt out of your eyes in frustration for the loooooooooooooooooong delays trying to access content on the USER drive, in this case, MIDI files. You would think an "SSD" could handle anything you throw at it and it was able to on earlier versions of the OS. Thank you Yamaha for your consideration to my request. Fixing this problem or ideas on how to fix it would be much appreciated. If it's a hardware limitation then hopefully it will be rectified on the Genos II which provides little comfort to my current situation.  :(   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:54:54 PM by keynote »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:22 PM »
That’s amazing. 6.5 GB (!) of midi files. How many files do you have?

Is it possible the keyboard is trying to index the files, and can’t get it done? Have you left it sit with the power on for, say, 30 minutes so it can finish indexing?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 11:24:42 PM »
I think Fred is on the right track here. As with all computers, the more folders and files you have, the slower moves the system.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:56 AM »
If you want to contact Yamaha engineers here is not the place to do it. You need to contact Yamaha service dept. direct.

keynote

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:49 PM »
Hi Fred,

The midi file compilation is huge I agree but let me put this in perspective. I have a USB stick connected underneath my Genos i.e. 256GB. On that USB stick I have roughly 50.4GB of "audio" files. The USB stick is USB 3.0 with quick access and quick write times but of course the Genos spec limit is USB 2.0 so it is relegated to USB 2.0 transfer rates. Nevertheless, I have ZERO problems accessing the audio files or the folders and sub-folders they are located in. On the other hand, the USER Drive is supposed to be an SSD but I understand from some research I did that the SSD is actually attached to a USB interface which if true would basically restrict faster transfer rates that a real SSD would otherwise be capable of handling with ease. So perhaps the 'bottleneck' is the interface the SSD is attached to.

So why would the USB stick connected underneath my Genos have NO problem accessing 50.4GB of audio data whilst the USER Drive SSD struggles BIG TIME with far LESS data after a few minutes of use? When I first turn my Genos on and go immediately into the USER Drive to play midi files everything is fine and dandy for about 5 or so minutes...and then suddenly everything slows down to a snail's pace. If the USER Drive is indexing all the files every time I switch back and forth between files, folders, and/or subfolders, Mixer, Song Menu, etc., it seems like an illogical way of operation. Accessing the User Drive itself should rapidly index all the files on the SSD which it should then retain in memory with fast throughput all the time when the Genos is on.  Which I assume it does during the first 5 or so minutes when everything works great. When it slows down to a crawl it suggests a software coding glitch (error) that only happens after a certain amount of time has elapsed. And the funny thing is none of this ever happened when I used earlier versions of the OS.

Eileen, there used to be one or two Yammie employees who frequented PSR Tutorial including this forum but you could be right they may have fled the scene for greener pastures.  ;D

PS: After my Genos warranty had expired I called Yamaha U.S. tech support to ask a question and try and get some answers and they basically shined me on. So I really doubt they would have a change of heart now after my Genos is even further out of warranty timewise. I'm thankful Yammie is continuing to provide OS updates for the Genos and perhaps a Yamaha employee still peruses this site on occasion and hopefully will stumble upon this very important thread.  ;)

All the best,
Mike

The following users thanked this post: TonyR

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
Mike,

The keyboard is not generating an index "all the time". But it needs to be done once. That's my point. If your underneath USB has quick access, its index has been generated. But is that the case with the User drive? Have you given it enough time to be generated. Have you let it sit for 30 minutes with the power on, doing nothing?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

keynote

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 01:45:07 AM »
Hi again Fred, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I haven't had a chance to check in a while. Been quite busy with other things unfortunately.

As to your question. If I let the Genos just sit for 30 minutes idle it happens immediately when I try to access files and folder on the User Drive so that's not the solution. I have another issue I'm also experiencing and it seems to be happening more frequently just recently. I load a midi file from (SONG B directory) and I will usually tweak the midi file to my preference. I then go into the Main MENU/Song Recording/Multi Recording*midi* then go into the Mixer Menu, adjust the midi file to my liking and then of course push Setup/Execute/and then proceed to Save the file to a folder. What is happening lately is when I try to Exit the Song Recording Menu it will hang, sometimes for a minute or so, sometimes longer. Needless to say that ain't right.

I'm hoping Yammie is working on another OS update and it will hopefully be released soon. Of course I still have the issue when using a Preset style with the Multi Pad Control set to VocalChords1. On the #1 Pad for VocalChords1, when on, it will go from a normal sounding Choral to a really high pitched choral sound when changing chords on the keyboard. It doesn't do it all the time but it does it enough to be annoying needless to say.

Reading all the other problems and situations people seem to be having with version 2.02 I suspect Yamaha is aware of the situation. But being as they usually are i.e. quiet as a church mouse, it's hard to tell. I keep checking the Yamaha website every so often to see if there are any updates to be had. None so far.

All the best,
Mike

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2020, 08:08:22 AM »
Hey!
Here is one of my problems.
Tried to record on Genos but found a new one.
I have problem with the Genos AUDIO-MULTI recorder.
Have 3 files here Apache where there is an error at 50 seconds in, where speed increases
and in Dance on there is asynchronization at the end of the file as well as Kära Syster chops it to a bit into.
I have contacted Yamaha about this so hopefully they will correct this in the future
so you can record directly in Genos.

https://app.box.com/s/mae2x3f59mcka7cqg1us8v1xoaw2gpfj   
https://app.box.com/s/rqtgfw4hd4m5x8uzpszvlc18jnkoxsax     
https://app.box.com/s/co7mtry68iuwx7uw2fhte7swc14zs7z7

Greetings Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Murat

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
I really do not understand why some people get so defensive when Yamaha Genos is criticised. Thanks to the criticising minds that we are where we are today technologically. If we got offended with every time someone criticised something you would still be playing a harpsichord!

Surely there were reasons for introducing a new Tyros after no1, then no2, then no3, then no4, then no5, then Genos. The Genos is great but not perfect, let people criticise it if they want, there will surely be a Genos 2 soon enough, then there will be others.