Author Topic: Mono output from Genos for my audio interface  (Read 2326 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Mono output from Genos for my audio interface
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought the "Focusrite Scarlet solo 3rd Gen" audio interface for connecting my Genos to PC for DAW.  The focusrite solo has one mono input for mic and one mono input for Instrument.

Which output from Genos should go in which input of Focurite? I am confused how to get a mono input from Genos and would my recording be mono even after getting this equipment ?

Regards

Anand

Janus

Re: Mono output from Genos for my audio interface
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
set on all midi tracks the panning  on left or right
use the left or right audio output from the Genos to the audio interface

Gr.Jan

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »
I recently bought the "Focusrite Scarlet solo 3rd Gen" audio interface for connecting my Genos to PC for DAW.  The focusrite solo has one mono input for mic and one mono input for Instrument.

Which output from Genos should go in which input of Focurite? I am confused how to get a mono input from Genos and would my recording be mono even after getting this equipment ?

Use the "L+R" jack. It's designed to produce mono output when there's only one jack connected, as opposed to a pair.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Janus

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
Use the "L+R" jack. It's designed to produce mono output when there's only one jack connected, as opposed to a pair.

Cheers,
Fred
That's right you only need a cable double jack to single jack

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
That's right you only need a cable double jack to single jack

No, I would not use a double-to-single ("Y") cable, because the cable is doing the merge and it does a poor job.

Use only one mono cable, in the "L+R" jack. Then the keyboard does the merge, and it's much better at it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Janus

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
No, I would not use a double-to-single ("Y") cable, because the cable is doing the merge and it does a poor job.

Use only one mono cable, in the "L+R" jack. Then the keyboard does the merge, and it's much better at it.

Cheers,
Fred
You are right but not all keyboards has  a left+right mono connector

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
Thanks guys. That was quick. Got the answer.

While we are at it, for those who own Focusrite Solo 3rd Gen - it has two inputs - one for the mic and one mono for the instruments. Can I use the mic input also for the instrument purpose (Basically can I  take two mono out put from Genos (L and R) and connect one to mic input of Focusrite and one to instrument input of focusrite ? Will this create a stereo recording ?

Also, I will use the audio interface mostly for online music sessions in Zoom app. Will the stereo / mono output make any difference as I read somewhere that all these online meeting platforms use only mono inputs.

Regards

Anand

Janus

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:06 AM »
yes it is possible
perhaps you have to balance the volume between the 2 poorts

Gr.Jan