Author Topic: Sx900 for piano practice  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Anil Sahin

Sx900 for piano practice
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:45:33 PM »
I bought the sx900 mainly for playing and recording new age songs.
But as an amateur piano player, I normally use my digital piano to practice easy jazz and Classical songs, sometimes with a mentor.

I will be away from my piano for several months.
Would you recommend using sx900 for piano learning, or should I buy/rent a digital piano instead?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Offline Amwilburn

Re: Sx900 for piano practice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 06:47:55 PM »
I love the sx900.

But it's really not a piano, especially with only 61 keys (although, if you're only playing pop music, 61 keys is enough to cover 95%; and if you're planning to do left hand chord accompaniment, the sx900 is fantastic for jazz improve that way.

But *not* for 2 handed piano improve. I can't even play Bohemian Rhapsody properly on a 61 (because of the octave hand cross over)

Mark

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 07:17:19 PM »
SX900’s piano is fine for piano learning except for the drawback of the 61 keys as Mark pointed out. The piano also decays too fast for me for more serious piano solo work though.

Since you also like new age and are considering an additional keyboard, I might suggest looking at the 76 or 81 key MODX+ which has a more professional piano plus has capabilities for new age patterns that is different from what an arranger can do. Check out Easy Sounds’ Ambient Soundscapes pack for MODX to give you an idea what it can do.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 09:04:40 PM »
A proper piano is always better for piano practice than a 61 key arranger, but if it’s just for a few months I don’t see it being worth adding another instrument. Just use the arranger for that short period. You’re not a professional Classical pianist who has to practice diligently hours a day, because you earn your living from being absolutely perfect.  In fact, without knowing how good you are, or being rude, I suspect you are a learner or at best an intermediate piano player, otherwise you would not be asking others for this advice. So truthfully it won’t really matter for a few months - or maybe longer.
But if money is no issue and you are looking for any excuse to buy yet another keyboard, who are we to stop you!
Mike
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:48:56 PM by mikf »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 12:52:27 AM »
I started taking piano lessons 2 years ago, and purchased a very lightweight digital piano. It is the Casio PRX3000. It has arranger functions too, and weighted keys. I even have a backpack for it. But I like my Yamaha arrangers best, I will never be a good piano player, I need the STYLES😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline maarkr

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 03:22:39 PM »
In my case, 61 keys is enough for piano practice.  I have a Casio PX-5S and the only time when I use the full keyboard is when I split it for dual voices.  I tried learning piano many years ago and could never get down the left hand independence nor reading sheet music very well.  What I did learn to some extent are triads and variations, inversions, scales, some ear training for melodies, and popular chord progressions.  Having the arranger keyboard has forced me to get much better tho at using my left hand for styles.  I'm in the camp that believes if you don't learn piano fundamentals when you are young, it's not gonna happen, at least not for me.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 04:57:41 PM »
...I'm in the camp that believes if you don't learn piano fundamentals when you are young, it's not gonna happen...
I agree with you -or at least that's true for more serious jazz/Classical playing.

Because I'm also blues music fan, I learned few left hand piano rhythms (for songs like F.Domino's "Blueberry hills") and although that are typical simple repetitive note sequences, it required a lot of practicing before left hand became independent enough -I say enough, because I'm far from perfect  :) But it makes fun playing piano only.

In that sense, I think 61 keys is enough for piano playing (for an older hobby musician who starts learning). And if it happens that, after many years of a lot of practicing, more keys will be needed, then it will be time to replace keyboard with a better one anyway  ;D

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Anil Sahin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 12:57:32 PM »
Dear Friends,
Thank you all very much for your replies.

With your help, I have decided to give my SX900 a chance to practice piano techniques at least for a couple of months. I will decide about a piano, when I finally get back to my hometown.

One last question is:
Do you advise the touch setting "HARD 2" with the option "fixed velocity=0" to get a more weighted-keys-like feeling?

Thank you all in advance

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 06:05:15 PM »
Dear Friends,
Thank you all very much for your replies.

With your help, I have decided to give my SX900 a chance to practice piano techniques at least for a couple of months. I will decide about a piano, when I finally get back to my hometown.

One last question is:
Do you advise the touch setting "HARD 2" with the option "fixed velocity=0" to get a more weighted-keys-like feeling?

Thank you all in advance

Hi Anil Sahin,

Of course, setting the "Touch Curve" of Initial Touch differently does not change the mechanical feel of the internal SX900 keyboard. With "Hard 2" a stronger touch ("playing strength") is required to produce a higher volume (MIDI velocity). With "Soft 2" higher velocities are generated with a relatively light touch.

Quote from page 37 in the SX900 Reference Manual:

Initial Touch > Touch Curve

Determines the Initial Touch response type. Make sure to enter checkmarks to the boxes of the desired keyboard parts.
Normal: Standard Touch Response.
Soft 1: Produces high volume with moderate playing strength. Lower volume is harder to be produced.
Soft 2: Produces high volume even with light playing strength. Best for players with a light touch.
Hard 1: Requires moderately strong playing for higher volume.
Hard 2: Requires strong playing to produce high volume. Best for players with a heavy touch.

Fixed Velocity: Determines the fixed volume level when the Touch Response is set to off. The volume of the keyboard parts without checkmarks stays fixed regardless of your playing strength.

By the way, the "Fixed Velocity" setting (which comes into effect when "Initial Touch" is turned off for a particular part) is completely unsuitable for playing a dynamic voice such as Piano.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Anil Sahin

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 07:52:27 PM »
Fixed will give you *no* piano feel at all; it's the same as how organ keys work.

Hard will not make the keys feel heavier; since it requires more strength to press, it ironically makes the keys feel lightest. And as you can damage key sensors by playing too hard, I always advise customers to either do normal or soft1 (or even 2) to prevent damage.

Yes, it happens. Not as often on unweighted keys like the PSR's, but it still happens. But it happens a lot on fully weighted keys, especially solid ones (as opposed to hollow, where you're more likely to snap the key hinge pins instead)

Mark

Offline Anil Sahin

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 08:39:56 AM »
Thank you very much Mark,
Thank you very much Chris,

I was using HARD2, but now I will try the SOFT1 setting.
As a mediocre piano player my left hand is very amateur, but with weighted keys (i.e. digital pianos) , I can compensate it.

Now I will try to adapt to this.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:46:44 AM by Anil Sahin »