Author Topic: Import styles from old PSR 630 into a PSR E463  (Read 3497 times)

Therioux

Import styles from old PSR 630 into a PSR E463
« on: March 28, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »
Hi. I just recently bought a PSR E463. Overall is a great middle level keyboard.

I have been using a PSR 630 since 15 years ago, so i was thinking if is possible to bring some styles and voices from PSR 630 into the new keyboard that i just got.

If is possible, where do i get the PSR 630 library of voices and styles to download them?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bruce Breen

Re: Import styles from old PSR 630 into a PSR E463
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:19 PM »
I clicked on the PSR Tutorial Support link (above right), and went to Styles, Yamaha, & clicked on the PSR-730 button (oldest, closest thing to 630).
Here is the link:  https://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-730.html

If you read the page you will see several options to download the styles, which have been altered to play on the 2000 & 3000.
(Note that they seem to be altered to have 4 variations, rather than just the 2 original variations on the 630 - vari A & C, and B & D will be the same).
These are all SFF1 style versions, which should play relatively well on your SFF2 keyboard.

Also on the site, under Styles, Collections Tab, I would suggest clicking on Onacimus' Conversions - read the page and decide which is best for you to download. He has converted SFF1 & SFF2 versions of all the 'old' styles, however they may be mixed in with other keyboards' styles, so you may have to search them out...

The only other thing you could do is copy all the files from your 630 (I assume you still have it) onto floppies, and then with a floppy reader (with USB connection) transfer them to a computer, then copy them to a USB for transfer to your keyboard. But as the page above's info indicates, some of the styles will have voices missing...

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:39:04 PM by Bruce Breen »
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Therioux

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
Thanks Bruce for ur help.

A tear came out when i saw the PSR 630 and 730 were released on 1997...... :'(

Roy_T

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 05:21:43 AM »
There is a style file size limitation on the "E4XX" series keyboards compared to the larger PSR's - that being a little over 52Kb.  If you plug a USB flash drive full of style files into an "E4XX" series keyboard, any of those files much over 52Kb will not even be recognized by the keyboard.  That is, files that are too large will not even appear in the keyboard's display as loadable.

Newer style files with file name extensions other than ".sty" must be renamed to have the ".sty" extension in order to be recognized by an "E4XX" series keyboard.

As for more than two main variations and multiple intros and endings, things get a bit interesting with the "E4XX" series boards.  For the most part, the keyboard will just use what it can, and ignore the rest.  BUT . . . . If there is more than one intro, if you intro into Main A, you get Intro 1, but if you intro into Main B, you get Intro 2.  The same with endings.  If you end from Main A, you get Ending 1, but if you end from Main B, you get Ending 2.  Nice ! ! ! 

The only time multiple intros and endings and more than two main variations get to be a problem is when, collectively, they make an otherwise desireable style file too large for the 52Kb size limit.  In that case, in the Utilities section of the main PSR Tutorial website are programs by Jorgen Sorensen and Michael Bedesem for whittling large style files down to size by removing unwanted or unneeded intros, endings, and variations.  You can even use them to mix and match intros, endings, and variations, within a given style file, to your heart's content, as long as you stay within the 52Kb size limit.  Even nicer ! ! !

Now, all of that said: Alas!  The preset styles have only one intro and one ending.  Too bad!

Enjoy!

Roy

P.S.

I have limited the above discussion to the "E4XX" series keyboards, as that is the limit of my experience with the "E" series  boards in general.  However, owners of "E2XX" and "E3XX" boards may want to do some experimenting, as the above may apply to their boards as well.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:18:11 AM by Roy_T »

The following users thanked this post: Bruce Breen