Author Topic: Genos Firmware Update V2.02  (Read 17640 times)

Offline overover

Genos Firmware Update V2.02
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »
Hi all,

a new Firmware Update (V2.02) is available for download: :)

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_genos.html

[V2.01 to V2.02]
- Increased the font size of the Score, the Lyrics, and the Text Viewer display.
- Fixed a problem in which the instrument would become unresponsive to operations when selecting certain Voices on the Drum Setup display of the Style Creator function.
- Fixed a problem in which, under a certain situation, the indication lamps (MIDI indicator) on the Mixer display would not work.
- Fixed a problem in which, under a certain situation, the current time would not appear on the Home display.
- Fixed other problems.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:38:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: terryB, motekmusic, Gunnar Jonny, bryan01, GrantB, MINKYCATS, pchan, Toril S, Dromeus, frozzers

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos Firmware Update V2.02
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
They always do. :D :D

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 02:32:08 PM »
I guess you're right Eileen, but there is a big difference between 'listening to the customer' and 'actually doing what the customer asks for'  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

ufkbat

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
v.2.02 midi - step edit - chord - user styles are still missing. It's a sad situation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:49:06 PM by ufkbat »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
Firmware installation is common. If anyone is interested in the process, they can see the video.
https://youtu.be/A-321wbsNVk

These are the differences in text display.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: vanzee

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
Firmware installation is common. If anyone is interested in the process, they can see the video.
https://youtu.be/A-321wbsNVk

These are the differences in text display.

Chokbu,

Thanks for the images. Very helpful.

Can you tell whether the font sizes are back to what they were in 1.41?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »
I think now the size is the same as at 1.41.
Watch my video channel

Offline Enildo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
Very good updates, I hope you will make this update available for the SX line too, which is having the same problems.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Chris,

It worked flawlessly.

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »
Thank you so much Chris! Update went without incident :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Tony09

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
I followed the instructions but when my Genos loads the update it says, "The update program "V1.41""

I expected to see "V2.02".

I downloaded again but got same result so haven't run the update.

Can't understand why I see "V1.41". Is this what others have seen? ckobu's video shows V2.02. Any ideas?

Tony

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Tony,

Make sure you are downloading the right file. In the USA this is the link.
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/firm_genos.html

UK is found here.

Unzip it and put it in the root folder of an empty thumb drive to avoid confusion.

Follow the instructions. Make sure you back up first if you are coming from v 1.41 and earlier as it wipes all your settings out.

If this doesn't work then maybe a phone call to Yamaha is in order.

Rick D.

Offline Tony09

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 02:24:45 PM »
Rick

I downloaded using the OP url for the UK, the same as your UK url.

I did exactly as the instructions say, including backup, empty thumb, root.

My Genos is at v2.00, having upgraded it myself shortly after purchase. I didn't bother with v2.01 upgrade. I think I should be able to go from 2.00 to 2.02. Perhaps not.

The download button says 2.02, so does the zip file. It's only when the GENOSSETUP.PRG is loaded by the Genos that 1.41 is shown.

Thanks anyway. I'll wait to see if anyone else responds before calling Yamaha.

Tony

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the Firmware Update v2.02

Successfully applied.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
Hi Tony,
  Make sure you have not got any other update installs on your USB drive so that the keyboard can only see 2.02.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Rick

I downloaded using the OP url for the UK, the same as your UK url.

I did exactly as the instructions say, including backup, empty thumb, root.

My Genos is at v2.00, having upgraded it myself shortly after purchase. I didn't bother with v2.01 upgrade. I think I should be able to go from 2.00 to 2.02. Perhaps not.

The download button says 2.02, so does the zip file. It's only when the GENOSSETUP.PRG is loaded by the Genos that 1.41 is shown.

Thanks anyway. I'll wait to see if anyone else responds before calling Yamaha.

Tony

It worked for me when I did I it, Tony.

Perhaps you haven’t unzipped/copied the file properly, therefore you’re picking up the old version of the file that was previously on the USB stick.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Chalky

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
Hi,
I have tried to update but get a message on my Genos saying "the previous firmware version cannot be installed".
Have tried several times all to no avail. I am currently running version 2.
Hope someone can put me right.
Chalky (Graham)

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi Tony,
hi Graham,

please connect the USB stick that is containing the unzipped file "GENOSSETUP.PRG" to the PC. Open Windows Explorer and click on the USB drive. Then right-click on the .PRG file and select "Properties". The SIZE (the UPPER value) must be "309 MB (324,486,656 Bytes").

Otherwise you probably have copied the wrong (an older) .PRG file to the USB stick. I recommend to unzip the downloaded file "genos_v202.zip" again, and this time pay special attention to WHERE the unzipped .PRG file is saved on the PC.

(You could also copy the "genos_v202.zip" file to the USB stick FIRST, and the unzip the file directly ON THE STICK. This is probably the safest method to have the "right" file on the stick ...)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:44:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Tony09

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
Eileen

Thanks for your suggestion but I've tried with a previously used empty stick and a new empty stick, so only the 2.02 PRG file on.

Fred

Thanks for the confirmation that you went from 2.00 to 2.02 direct. I downloaded twice, unzipped twice and both attempts show 1.41. My Genos was 1.41 when I bought in November so I never used the 1.41 update. I upgraded it to 2.00.

Chalky
Did you notice if it said 2.02 when you booted your Genos and before applying the update? Or did it say 1.41? Did you download from the USA or UK url?

Chris
In Explorer Properties it's 309 MB (324,486,656 bytes). Thanks anyway.

Tony

Chalky

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
Hi Chris,
Have done exactly what you said but, unfortunately, still getting the same message.
Thanks
Graham

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:43 PM »
This seems strange.

I would put a call into Yamaha.

Rick D.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »
Fred

Thanks for the confirmation that you went from 2.00 to 2.02 direct. I downloaded twice, unzipped twice and both attempts show 1.41. My Genos was 1.41 when I bought in November so I never used the 1.41 update. I upgraded it to 2.00.

Sorry, Tony. What I wanted to say was I successfully installed the update. However, I was on 1.41, not 2.00. I had reverted back to 1.41 some time ago as I needed its font sizes for my text files. So I can't confirm that you can go from 2.00 to 2.02.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 04:26:55 PM »
Hi Toni

One of the big problems with any upgrade is the file name is always the same. 
If I were you I would do a search on the PC for "GENOSETUP.PRG"  or possible just ".PRG"  and delete everything.
Then re-download again.

Regards

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 05:10:49 PM »
Thank you for the notice. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Tony09

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Rick
It looks like I'll be calling Yamaha.

Fred
Thanks for clarification on your versions.

Bill
I quite agree about the file name. However, all downloads go in my Downloads folder then they get moved to the applicable folder - in this case Keyboard > Genos > Yamaha Downloads. Then unzipped choosing the most recent download with the right name in Explorer. Then open that unzipped folder and copy file to stick (no other files on stick).  But thanks for help.

Tony

kla4

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 10:28:34 PM »
@Tony, is there another USB stick 'hidden' in your Genos  (e.g. bottom) on which an older update version is located? 
Make sure there is only ONE USB stick connected to Genos!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 02:53:42 AM »
I don't have a Genos but... it sounds like there is more than 1 USB stick connected and the keyboard is installing the wrong file. Also the GENOSSETUP.PRG has to be located on the ROOT directory of the one USB stick connected to your keyboard.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Bachus

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »

Well, maybe they allways listen..
But they never react to it..
And not act on many things asked by the community

Sure this is great and asked for by many..
Yet leaves a long list of wishes unanswered..

Its great however they added this,,,

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 08:16:03 AM »
Hi
Jargon free explanation. ;D ;D ;D
I always put my updates on a blank USB stick which i keep spare.
This way i get no problem.
After downloading, just check the size of the file and see if it matches Yamaha site one (just to make sure all is in the file).
I just use the Win 10 unzip process by right clicking and  EXTRACT ALL.
I only put the unzipped fle on the spare USB.
Press the Power similtaneously with start and stop button and follow the on screen instruction .
You have to be patient and wait as per instruction and do not to fiddle with the process whilst all is uploading.
That is all there is to an update.
It should be plain sailing. :)

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:25:13 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 08:28:55 AM »
Well, maybe they allways listen..
But they never react to it..
And not act on many things asked by the community

Sure this is great and asked for by many..
Yet leaves a long list of wishes unanswered..

Its great however they added this,,,

Hi
I do not know why there are so many complaints as there is enough in the Genos to keep you out of mischief for a 1000years.
I am loving this machine. The only problem is the HUMANS!!!  ( War of the Worlds quote ) ;D ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Tony09

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
kla4 & Joe H got the solution. The USB stick I received from epianos.co.uk with my Genos had GENOSSETUP.PRG on it and (a) I didn't notice it (b) I keep it plugged in under the keyboard.

I unplugged it and powered up with Start/Stop held down and hey presto V2.02 appeared. Now installed

I've now deleted the old prog from the stick I keep in. Don't want that problem again.

Thank you all for your input.

Tony

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Two pictures for comparing the score views in version 2.01 and 2.02.
Bigger chords but the lyrics are just a little bit bigger.

Regards
Etienne

[attachment deleted by admin]
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS, vanzee

Offline ton37

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »
Hi
I do not know why there are so many complaints as there is enough in the Genos to keep you out of mischief for a 1000years.
I am loving this machine. The only problem is the HUMANS!!!  ( War of the Worlds quote ) ;D ;D
It is also not said that people are not happy with their keyboard. And I think it is not a matter of 'complaining', but it is indicated that a (suspected) problem has been established because there may be a bug in the keyboard firmware / software. That is not inconceivable. Of course it can sometimes be classified as 'bug' out of ignorance. This is often discussed in this fine forum. That is why I am happy that there are people who want to share this with us (and don't  forget to report this to Yamaha !!!!). If they didn't, there wouldn't be any updates either! In this case the opposite applies: speaking is silver and silence is gold …  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
Hi
Do not drink silver as it will not get rid of the bugs ::) :P :)

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
Hi Guys

Let's face it, more often then not, most problems with the Genos and other Yamaha keyboards are pilot error.  Trust me, in the last 20 years, I have had my share of problems, and more often than not, it was something I was inadvertently doing wrong or something I overlooked.  This is where this forum, is a huge help. I have been steered in the right direction, from many of the members in here.
Tony, I'm glad you got your problem sorted, how would you have known the dealer put a copy of the upgrade on the hidden USB. It may have been the current one when you bought it, but we all know they change quite a bit over the years.

This forum is the best thing since sliced bread!

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: OmbDave

Offline vanzee

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »
Installed v2.02.
fonts in score & text & lyrics-display are now perfectly readable for me,
much better than previous version.
Thanks Yamaha, i'm happy again :)
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

PdeMats

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2020, 11:28:38 PM »
Please can someone share with me a link to a 'legacy' firmware (v1.40 or 2.00) except the 2.02(this is all over the place in Yamaha sites)? I can not find those anywhere, and the Genos is being a headache since a month or two... it freezes, it shutd down, and I checked 'auto power off' is disabled, some buttons and sliders become unresponsive, then the next day all is ok, but then again it is not :.( I formatted the exp memory, I formatted the Genos hard drive, I just tryed everything I could remember of, unplugg the power cable for one or 2 days, etc... It only lacks to try a different firmware, becouse to me it's not hardware related, it mus be a bug in the software.
Then if the firmware don't resolve the problem, I will send it back to where I bought it. I am so depressed at the moment and the Genos raises my anxiety levels because of this. can someone please help me with legacy firmware?
Thanks
Hope you are all well and healthy with your families
Paulo de Matos from Portugal

Offline Toril S

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 11:55:09 PM »
Paulo, have you tried downloaded another version of the update file, and installing it again? It may be that there is something wrong with the version you have.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ckobu

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2020, 11:56:49 PM »
@Paulo -
I have all versions V110, 130, 140, 141. Contact me with a message with your email to send you the one you want.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »
Paulo, do you use midi files? If so, they’re mor3 likely to be the culprit than the OS.

If you do go back to 1.41, any registrations you created under V2 will not work. Any expansion packs you installed will have to be redone. And any system setup you’ve created will also have to be redone.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Genos!

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2020, 02:39:19 AM »
I have 2.01...  give me a sec.  Hope it helps.

https://auralee.us/download/gXp1qz/GenosFirmware_v201.zip
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:02:21 AM by Genos! »

Offline Stijn

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2020, 10:52:40 AM »
If I remember correctly Yamaha warned that you can't go back to an earlier version once 2.0 is installed.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
If I remember correctly Yamaha warned that you can't go back to an earlier version once 2.0 is installed.

They may have said that, but it is possible to go back. I went back from 2.0 to 1.41 because of the font size issue.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:43:06 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
@PdeMats
Hi Paulo,

I don't think it makes sense in your case to downgrade to an earlier Genos firmware version.

I recommend performing a full Factory Reset (including completely deleting all internal Flash Memory areas). There is a special key combination for this, which I will be happy to send you by PM on request. (Yamaha does not want this method to be publicly posted on the internet.)

To be on the safe side, you should now download the current Firmware (V2.02) again from the Yamaha website and reinstall it.

If the problems you described still occur, it is either due to certain files you are using (e.g. MIDI files, Style files, Reg Bank files, etc.), or there is a hardware defect. The internal Test Program can be used to check the latter. Usually this should be done by an experienced Service technician at an authorized Yamaha Service Center. However, you could also carry out certain tests yourself, which are important in your case, first of all:

• ROM Check 1 / 2
   • RAM Check 1
   • USER ROM check
   • Wave ROM Check 1 / 2
   • Wave RAM Check 1 / 2
   • Effect RAM Check 1 / 2
   • IRQ Check (= Communication between CPU and Tone Generator SWP70)

Of course there are many other tests within the Test Program (e.g. USB host/device/storage, internal Wi-Fi device, buttons, knobs, sliders and much more). But I would definitely test the various Memory chips first (I mentioned above).

If you would like to run the Test Program yourself, please also inform me via PM. I will then send you the necessary information.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:54:28 PM by overover »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »
......(Yamaha does not want this method to be publicly posted on the internet.)

Am I breaking any rules with this video then?

https://youtu.be/HLwhu5jWfY0
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2020, 03:04:07 PM »
Am I breaking any rules with this video then?

https://youtu.be/HLwhu5jWfY0

Hi ckobu,

I am not aware of any written rules from Yamaha in this regard, BUT I know from friends of mine who work very closely with Yamaha that Yamaha does not want such internal information (e.g. from the Service Manuals) to be posted publicly. This information is not intended for the normal user. It is also essential to have all the information in the Service Manual available when using the Test Program.

The full Factory Reset (including the complete deletion of all internal Flash memory areas), which, as mentioned, can also be called using a special key combination (without running the Test Program), should generally not be able to be executed by every normal user.

Personally, I don't really like it when this kind of internal information (with which an instrument could very easily be irreparably damaged) is posted on the Internet in a publicly accessible manner (whether in written form or as a video).

Best regards,
Chris

Offline EileenL

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
Really without standing behind a person and seeing what they are doing and what is happening it is impossible to give advice to Paulo on what is happening. I am sure it is nothing to do with the update.

Genos!

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
I am aware of the Yamaha statement about not being able to go backwards to an earlier version.

I believe during the upgrade to 2.0 that user files were modified, but I haven't checked anything, nor do I want to do so. It's irrelevant to me as the difference with 2.0 compared to the previous 1.x versions is almost night and day.

However, going back to a previous revision (same version) is not a problem afaik. The tests are hardware tests and should not be affected by what version or revision of the firmware is loaded anyway, imho.

I'm happy to see such good advice and help exists on the forum. Kudos.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »
Hi Paulo,,
  Try downloading version 2.02 from here. You will also see the write up of how to install it properly and what it adds.

PdeMats

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
Hi all of you, thank you for all your tips to help me, I am still struggling, whatever version I install, 1.41, 2.01 or 2.02.. I have lost everything, I even formatted the internal disk, nothing worked, it plays for 5 or 10 min then the 'click' we hear, when we turn it on, the Genos does it again and become muted, no sound and unresponsive to every button or knob, slider, only the screen is active, but can't go to Menu, that button does nothing like all of them... right now I can't go to the store I bought it cause it's in another region, the government only let us pass if it is for work... I am depressed, just a musician without work, but Genos isn't helping, there are days that I don't even try to turn it on and don't want to think it exists

Thank you so much, I just saw the Casper video and in my desperate state I am gonna try that 'trick' in the hope it will tell me what is going on with the keyboard.
Then I will keep you informed

Blessings for everyone

Paulo