Author Topic: Saving styles changes  (Read 3540 times)

norrimac

Saving styles changes
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
Hi all, hope your Sunday's going well!

I am having a small issue that's bugging me Big Time! When I save a style from the preset styles to either user or HD1, and then modify that style, eg the tempo, the changes or volumes are not being saved.

I know it's a basic question, but even locked down with the manuals, I can't find the reason/solution.

Thank in advance, Norm.

PS The Tyros has developed a dry cough this morning, hope it's just a mild cold...  :o

Online Bill

Re: Saving styles changes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
Hi Norm

It may help if you could let us know HOW you are attempting to do & save the changes.  It would say people a lot of time, if we could understand the problem a little bit better.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Stijn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »
It's all explained in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX79A18s_9I

Stijn
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:16:38 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

norrimac

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
Thanks so much guys! Here's a quick video that explains...

https://youtu.be/LcVfikSP_VQ

Norm

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
Hi Norm,

Enter the Style Creator.
Go to the first tab called Basic.
Adjust the tempo.
Save the style again.

https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjStyle/AStyles50Saving.html

If you want to make a change to a style,you always have to enter the Style Creator.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »
So you have a style saved, and want to make some modifications. You have two choices.

If you want to permenantly alter the saved style, then you need to open the style in the style creator, then save from there. This changes the actual style data itself.

Alternatively, you can save the style with your modifications into a registration. What this does is save a "pointer" to the original style, plus the changes you made. When you load the registration, it loads the style from disk then "replays" your modifications.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:23 PM »
If you alter an on board style in any way it must then be saved as a User style and this is the one you need to load to play your alterations as you have made them.

norrimac

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
Many thanks to everybody who contributed here. All have helped a LOT!

I found that the only thing that the reg memory isn't saving (for some reason) is the tempo change, so what I've done is to save that parameter in the 'Style Creator' part and then the rest seems to save ok in the 'Reg'n Memory' as an individual style to suit the song I'm playing. (eg I like the drums too loud just like a real drummer!)

Best, Norm.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 06:00:52 PM »
I found that the only thing that the reg memory isn't saving (for some reason) is the tempo change, so what I've done is to save that parameter in the 'Style Creator' part and then the rest seems to save ok in the 'Reg'n Memory' as an individual style to suit the song I'm playing. (eg I like the drums too loud just like a real drummer!)

Registrations will save the tempo. I do it all the time. All you need to ensure is the Tempo box is checked when you memorize the registration.

And, if you're going to be using a registration, why bother modifying the style? Just use the preset style in your registration. Saves a lot of work, and the style can't get lost.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:04:29 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

norrimac

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
Hi Fred, thanks fo that.

I've tried a lot saving the tempo and it definitely doesn't save into the registrations on my T5. The only thing I can think of is that I need to update the software. I can't do hat right now as I don't have a memory stick that works and my local computer shop is closed.

Once I've done that, I'll let you know if it begins to accept the command.

Re: the modification of the style - I use the registration banks to record my arrangements of the preset styles to suit particular songs.

An example of this would be 60s Motown. A lot of the early Marvin Gaye / Temptations / Four Tops / Miracles / Isley Brothers songs used the same basic drum rhythm at different tempos, some with an added 2/4 snare pattern in the chorus, others without, so I find setting up the instrument parts and volumes makes the performance sound more authentic.

As an interesting side note, and one that modern producers don't 'get', is that a lot of the early recordings have become absolute evergreens (My Girl, Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, Sexual Healing etc.) BECAUSE of the sounds created in recording sessions using live musos as opposed to computers. (Try playing 'Sexual Healing' for example – one guy/gal and a keyboard CAN'T do it – or at least I haven't heard one yet???)

I remember a few years back seeing a fascinating program on TV where they interviewed now-elderly soul musos from those heady days.

The Tamla studios used the same session musicians behind their roster of singers from The Supremes to Junior Walker and the All Stars and everybody else. Same guys all the time. All in their late 70s or 80s, as cool a bunch of old dudes as you ever seen, buddy.

They asked the session drummer (same guy on ALL the recordings) which producer (there were a few) had written the drum dots he used, that Classic back beat with a heavy snare, sometimes slow, sometimes uptempo.

He said, "I couldn't read music, so I made that beat up."

The interviewer then asked, "So the producers liked that beat and asked you to play it again?"

He said (roughly, can't remember exactly), "Nope, some of them hated it, but it was the only beat I knew how to play..."

Beat THAT for cool!  8) 8) 8)

Norm.