Author Topic: Live Control knobs  (Read 9813 times)

btweengigs

Live Control knobs
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:44:46 AM »
After finally learning how to save Assignable Buttons globally, I have not been able to do the same with the Live Control knobs. I've tried various combinations of checks on MENU 1 > Registration Freeze and in Memory Save to no avail.  In one of my attempts I accidentally corrupted one of my registrations. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Enildo

Re: Live Control knobs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »
Hi Eddie!

Did you select the checkbox of the Memory button, so that your personalized Live Control options are saved? Press the "Memory" button and check.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:35:40 PM »
After finally learning how to save Assignable Buttons globally, I have not been able to do the same with the Live Control knobs. I've tried various combinations of checks on MENU 1 > Registration Freeze and in Memory Save to no avail.  In one of my attempts I accidentally corrupted one of my registrations. Any help will be appreciated.

How did you save assignable buttons "globally"?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »
Did you select the checkbox of the Memory button, so that your personalized Live Control options are saved? Press the "Memory" button and check.

Unfortunately, Enildo, pressing Memory, and looking at the check marks, will not tell you which groups have been saved in a registration. It only tells you what groups you saved the last time you used the feature.

There is no way, on the keyboard, to tell which groups have been saved in a registration. This is the greatest flaw in Yamaha keyboards, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline rgw

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
Hi Fred,
To save Assignable Buttons globally I go to Menu, Registration Freeze and set the parameters there. Of course you need to have the Freeze Button activated all the time.

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
i wish i could save settings to 'global'  I find like Rog. the only way to save my setting really is to use freeze. If i don't and then use an imported registration and not my own ... I seem to lose my assignables and pedal functions along with other stuff.

If you have managed it and it's easy Eddie ....please post up your method as i am useless at setting stuff like that up..
Often time I find a function can be there but is hidden and not mentioned in manuals

Yes Fred, it is a flaw, if in fact this is the case??.... but after my post yesterday on another topic, I am  not going to discuss it in relation to other brands of boards where I might add I dont have any issues simply saving most settings to global......lol
Yes i do think Yamaha should make this an easy option.

Thanks ...Keith 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:31:33 PM by blackpool »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »
Unfortunately, Enildo, pressing Memory, and looking at the check marks, will not tell you which groups have been saved in a registration. It only tells you what groups you saved the last time you used the feature.

There is no way, on the keyboard, to tell which groups have been saved in a registration. This is the greatest flaw in Yamaha keyboards, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Fred

Yes it's true. I understand your placement, Fred.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:23 PM »
My method for global settings is:
A. Have a setup registration that sets the keyboard the way I want (pedals, assignments, vocal harmony, etc. etc.). For this registration, all groups in Registration Memory are memorized.
B. For every other registration, groups which I want to be global (in my case, Line Out, Live Control, Scale Tune, Foot Pedals and Assignable Buttons) are unchecked when I memorize.

However, Freeze should work just as well. If you don't want Live Control settings to be changed by a registration, then ensure this group is checked in the Menu>Registration Freeze screen. Then ensure the Freeze button is lit.

The downside to using Freeze in this way is:
1. You lose the ability to use Freeze on an ad hoc basis,
2. If you load a registration when Freeze isn't on (eg, you forgot to turn it on after a power up), then your global settings could be overwritten.

So, Eddie, it sounds to me like problem #2 happened to you. You loaded a registration when Freeze wasn't on. My recommendation would be to create a Setup registration (as in A above) which will reset the keyboard to your liking. Of course, you have to ensure Freeze is off when you load this registration.

The advantage of having a Setup registration is you'll always have something to return the keyboard to your preferred settings when something goes wrong.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56

btweengigs

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »
How did you save assignable buttons "globally"?

Cheers,
Fred

Fred....It was actually your advice that got me on the right track. You said: "What I do is never memorize Assignable in my registrations. Then they don’t change my assignments."

"When I say memorize, I mean using the Memory button. I ensure that Assignable Buttons is unchecked when I memorize. That way none of my registrations will change the assignments."

"The categories that are checked will be memorized in your registration, the ones that are unchecked won't be."

A lot of my registrations have checkmarks in Memory Save including : LIVE CONTROL  and it is working for me. But this is one of the real mysteries of the SX900 and I presume the SX700. For me...it has been hit and miss.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 08:26:07 PM »
The Freeze-Memory -Registration - Tick - Untick thing is ridiculous on the SX-900.  >:(

It should be a simple task in choosing to load, or not to load a LIVE CONTROL setting in registrations...
IT IS NOT  >:(
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 08:37:53 PM »
The Freeze-Memory -Registration - Tick - Untick thing is ridiculous on the SX-900.  >:(

It should be a simple task in choosing to load, or not to load a LIVE CONTROL setting in registrations...

What could be simpler than ticking, or unticking, the box? How would you make it simpler?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

btweengigs

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 10:11:00 PM »

I agree. Latest test. I set up one of the Live Control buttons to set VOLUME of left, rt 1, rt 2, MP at 50%. Pressed memory save with LIVE CONTROL ticked. It saved...but when I changed the value of the button and hit the registration for the global setting it did not snap back to 50%.

So, I did it again, this time not ticking the LIVE CONTROL.  Set the VOLUME of left, rt 1, rt2, MP at 50% Mem Saved with LIVE CONTROL un-ticked and saved the Registration File.  Then I changed the value of the volume, selected the registration and it DID snap back to 50%.

Okay...so if those setting save to my GLOBAL SETTING, how can I apply them to each of the several hundred song registrations I have?

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:50 AM »
Without doing each individually ... which would take forever ... The only option is to use freeze ...well that's how I see it.. Well for existing registrations...
Fred has the best idea to sort of 'template' you're required settings first in any new Regis you create, by working from an empty bank with what you want ticked and then duplicate this for the future banks, as far as I understand what he has said .
Global does not sort of exist and you need to make the global settings within your own reg banks.
Maybe I'm wrong
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:28:46 AM by blackpool »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 12:23:26 AM »
What could be simpler than ticking, or unticking, the box? How would you make it simpler?

Cheers,
Fred

By adding Live Control in Utility/ Pararamter Lock
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:26 AM »
At the beginning I was saving Live Controls in the registry, but today I don't save them anymore, I made this decision, because it is easier for me when I want to change the order of the buttons, or change to a setting that will suit me more. When I use the live controls in the memory register, I am tied to what is there, and when I need to change to a more logical need (for me), I won't have to change a lot of records. Live controls have 6 functions that I think are sufficient. If I need to change anything, in particular, I change it the moment I use it.

Enildo
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:27:08 AM by Enildo »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »

It would be nice if we had.

btweengigs

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:13 AM »
Freeze is not an option when you are on a job and trying to keep the show tight.
LAHawk has the solution, if only Yamaha could implement it.
In the meantime, it looks like the only other option is redoing each registration individually.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:34 AM »
Freeze is not an option when you are on a job and trying to keep the show tight.
LAHawk has the solution, if only Yamaha could implement it.
In the meantime, it looks like the only other option is redoing each registration individually.

That's what I did with all my registration. I saved them all individually without memorizing Live Control.
It was a mistake for me to use them saved in the registration.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 01:19:33 AM »

Plus another one for LaHawk's suggestion!  Larry great thought, should be simple for Yamaha to do with an update to the firmware.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
I may be mistaken,but I had this same problem with my old Technics KN7000,and was told to check the wanted parameter in memory,save the registration, then uncheck it for future songs.  I did this on my SX900 and,so far, it is holding unchanged.

blackpool

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
Yes Larry, that as Steve says would be a great, easy solution if at all possible.

Another option would be to enable freeze to remain as it was at power-down to be on then at power-up, as I sometimes forget to enable freeze and i do use it a lot with imported regis before I have edited and re-saved them.

Keith 

btweengigs

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »

... check the wanted parameter in memory,save the registration, then uncheck it for future songs. 

Bernie... When you say future songs...you are talking about creating a registration from scratch as on a clean canvas?
I can't make that work with existing registrations.

I'm now thinking of going back to my S970 and putting the SX aside for awhile to clear my head.

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »
Eddie
I took an existing registration and added the Live Knobs parameter,pressed Memory and saved. I checked that the right live parameters were there,and saved.  I then brought up memory and unchecked Live Knobs.  No matter what registration I bring up now, it stays the same.  Heck,I have been having as much trouble as you over this,but so far so good.
Bernie

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 05:09:55 PM »
Eddie
I took an existing registration and added the Live Knobs parameter,pressed Memory and saved. I checked that the right live parameters were there,and saved.  I then brought up memory and unchecked Live Knobs.  No matter what registration I bring up now, it stays the same.  Heck,I have been having as much trouble as you over this,but so far so good.
Bernie

So, now you know how registrations, and the memory groups they have checked, are supposed to work.

When you check a group (like Live Control) on memorization, then the registration will change those settings.

When a group is unchecked, the registration won't change those settings. This is as it should be.

The current setting of the checkmarks in Registration Memory is immaterial. The only material thing is what groups you checked when you memorized the registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »
I may be mistaken,but I had this same problem with my old Technics KN7000,and was told to check the wanted parameter in memory,save the registration, then uncheck it for future songs.  I did this on my SX900 and,so far, it is holding unchanged.

Thanks Bernie, but unfortunately that did not work for me...

I'm pretty sure I did exactly as you suggested,

I select one of my registrations with my preferred Live Control settings setup

I make sure it is my Live Control settings setup, and then click Registration /Memory/ Live Control and check ON

I then save that registration

After saving that registration, I select Registration Memory/Live Control and check Live Control OFF

I then load a Registration from a friend, Select Bank 1, and my Live Control set up is replaced by my friend's Live Control Setup

So...
This is the only method I found that works for me

To save Assignable Buttons globally I go to Menu, Registration Freeze and set the parameters there. Of course you need to have the Freeze Button activated all the time.

Thanks everyone Stay Safe

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 07:25:13 PM »
Hi Larry
I wonder what the difference is,as your sequence appears the same,and Fred seems to agree. A mystery for sure.

btweengigs

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »
Same as Larry. I have followed Fred's instructions, Bernie's.... tried to compare it with how the S970 does it,,,,,but the 970 does not give an option to save...it just does it automatically and GLOBALLY.

btweengigs

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
I may not be correct about the 970 Live Control being saved globally. It is hard to tell because, unlike the SX and Genos, it does not show percentages.  However, when I am on a job and set volumes, reverb, harmony, etc....the settings seem to hold from registration to registration. 

Not so with the SX

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
Hi Larry
I wonder what the difference is,as your sequence appears the same,and Fred seems to agree. A mystery for sure.

I don't see much agreement between what you've posted, and what I've posted.

Here's as simple as I can make it:
1. Whatever is checked when you memorize a registration will be set on loading it (unless you Freeze or Parameter Lock the group).
2. Whatever is unchecked when you memorize will be left alone.

Checking/unchecking the Registration Memory screen after the fact (as in "After saving that registration, I select Registration Memory/Live Control and check Live Control OFF") will have no effect. Which of course, is what you found out, but how you can say I agreed with this procedure is beyond me.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:13:41 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ