Author Topic: AI fingering  (Read 7730 times)

Offline anon125

AI fingering
« on: March 22, 2020, 01:56:56 AM »
Yes I know, many of you dont like them, even this site I think says they wont play 9ths
There is a yamaha video where at about the 30 minute point he plays an ai chord to get d79 etc.
Sx900 overview  with gabriel aldort
How does that work and how do I use them. I looked in the manuals
Thanks

Offline EileenL

Re: AI fingering
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
AI is very useful when playing slashed cords and giving you different bass lines and I find it a lot easier to use than on Bass.

Janus

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »
All fingering modes are good when there is one chord in a measure
In jazz music you have sometimes 4 slashed chords in one measure
it makes a mess of it

Offline anon125

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
thanks but i still do not know how to do them!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
thanks but i still do not know how to do them!

Then experiment. The keyboard shows you which chord it is playing.

d79 chord = D F# A C E

I use Fingered mode, so that's how I would play D79 in the left hand. If you're using a full keyboard fingering mode, presumably you can play those keys anywhere on the keyboard. But it wouldn't take long to put your fingers on the keys to find out.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
As Fred says experiment.
His way is quite a stretch for most hands, but I often use it and you can leave out the A and it still works.
Other ways to produce it are:
An easier inversion of the above, D E F# C or variations like the even more blocky C D E F#.
These will drive the style to make 9ths OK although their blockiness may be undesirable if you are also playing using a left voice.
You can even produce a 3note "rootless" version where you don't have to play the root note itself (it will be played by the style bass)     F# C E.   (Fred's without the A and now without the root.)
Go to F C E to get Dm 79.

There should be no special problem making 9ths, unless it relates to the stretch of more than an octave required, in which case use an alternative inversion, or the 9th may sometimes be dropped from the left hand altogether because the right hand voicing is already adding that character to the overall effect.

John
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:33:34 PM by jwyvern »

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
All fingering modes are good when there is one chord in a measure
In jazz music you have sometimes 4 slashed chords in one measure
it makes a mess of it
Depends on how well you play. It takes some practice to get it right, but my Grade 7, 8 and Diploma level students can do this with ease, no mess! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline anon125

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
wish i had the keyboard to try it!
not sure you folks are using AI
thanks all

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:22 PM »
wish i had the keyboard to try it!
not sure you folks are using AI
thanks all

Wish you would have told us all our responses would be ignored. Would have saved us a lot if time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
Wish you would have told us all our responses would be ignored. Would have saved us a lot if time.

It seems to be par for the course for this poster!   :o

He/she/undetermined must surely be some kind of 'troll', although they wouldn't be the first on this forum!  ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »
Don’t know about troll but must be be helluva player to be worrying about playing 9ths on a keyboard he doesn’t have.
Mike

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »
It seems to be par for the course for this poster!   :o

He/she/undetermined must surely be some kind of 'troll', although they wouldn't be the first on this forum!  ;)

Regards

Ian

Perhaps there is a clue in the choice of anon as their name.   ::)

John

Offline anon125

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:45 AM »

Cheers,
Fred

FRED nobody is ignoring your help

Offline anon125

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 03:33:55 AM »
all i want to do is when the keyboard arrives I can hit the ground running... well shuffling briskly!
i wish to know as much as possible before it arrives.
not sure what a troll is but it is not me!
thanks

a statement has been added to all posts. should have done it before, just thought of it!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:40:00 AM by anon125 »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 03:49:24 AM »
all i want to do is when the keyboard arrives I can hit the ground running... well shuffling briskly!
i wish to know as much as possible before it arrives.
not sure what a troll is but it is not me!
thanks

a statement has been added to all posts. should have done it before, just thought of it!

Ok, non-troll. If you want to hit the ground running, why aren’t you interested in our advice on your question?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 04:40:17 AM »
Why don’t you just wait till you get the keyboard - if that ever happens - and most of these things will become obvious. If not then that is the time to ask. At the moment you are asking how you change the filter on the coffee machine in the kitchen when you haven’t even bought the house yet. Don’t want to be rude, but frankly it comes across as a bit silly.
Mike

Offline anon125

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
Mike, Just because you cannot learn this way, does not mean I cannot learn before i get the keyboard.

now, to play any chord using AI  what do i do, after switching Ai on of course!

thanks

rcpilot

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
When is your keyboard arriving? Once you get it, turn on AI mode....then try a bunch of chords,,,easy to do.
The keyboard will do what it is designed to do....and you can see it easy.
Lee

Offline mikf

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:47:42 PM »
I didn't have to learn - that is the point. I sat down with the keyboard, and it was obvious, like Lee says.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
I'm sorry anon125 (anonymous?), I don't ask you the age because I cannot to verify it, this is the last post to which I answer you. Who, usually subscribe oneself to this forum it does for 2 reasons mainly: 1) he have a Yamaha keyboard; 2) he desire to buy a Yamaha keyboard.
I will dwell on the second case. You are free to ask anything and we are kind to answer you. But of all the questions you asked, you never asked the right questions to decide what to buy or because to buy.
Often superfluous questions to which you could get answers semply just by owning the keyboard, and not extrapolating manual pages always asking superficial things, what is the use of an SX900, what means this, what means that, last as you get an agreement of 9 of this post. Before buying the SX900, I waited more than a year but I didn't ask absurd and useless questions, I documented myself, I saw videos on YT, I asked for about strengths and weaknesses , I decided to buy it, when I could I did it. Then, with the keyboard in my hands, I asked the members of this forum, the doubts or problems I encountered in the use, but before, I read the manual, carefully, and I saw other videos.
The way you do questions doesn't make sense, have you ever owned a keyboard? Do you know how main chords are made, before asking how 9 chords are made? I doubt you will ever buy the keyboard, as I doubt it is so naive and innocent, for my part I will not waste time replying to your posts. the other members they are very polite and patient. Maybe you have the best intentions in the world, but I don't like to feel (I repeat  FEEL ME) taken for a ride and, I'm sorry for you, but you cannot learn to drive a car knowing how an engine works or reading the instruction booklet.
Aquila uno

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, wersianer

Offline anon125

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
would you buy a product today that was made in asia?
 all my questions make sense when you stop and think and not react.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »
Huh???
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online Bill

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »
Mike, Just because you cannot learn this way, does not mean I cannot learn before i get the keyboard.

now, to play any chord using AI  what do i do, after switching Ai on of course!

thanks

Hi

Have a look at the info at the link below.

https://hub.yamaha.com/genos-power-playing-mastering-ai-fingered-mode/

The wife of the UK Tech support guy wrote a brilliant article a few years ago.  Her name is Jackie Marsden.  You may be able to search for her article.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
would you buy a product today that was made in asia?
 all my questions make sense when you stop and think and not react.

Ah, the troll continues.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mikf

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 07:56:59 PM »
The people on this forum obviously already did.
I’m sure if you really work at it you can dream up even more useless questions. But my guess is that you are less than two more silly questions away from getting banned.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer