Author Topic: Some voices polyphonic only  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Luluc

Some voices polyphonic only
« on: March 18, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
Hi all genosphils,

On the Genos, some voices - which are by definition monophonic - are not avalaible in monophonic mode, why ?

Some examples of concerned voices : Flugelhorn, Trumpet, SoftTrumpet, Trombone, ... but the Cornet, the SilverTrumpet, the GoldenTrumpet can play in mono  AND poly modes.

The mono mode is very useful,when you a melody with a monophonic instrument - example the SoftTrumpet - That makes sure that the played notes won't overlap, so the performance is better.

Luluc,
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:59:50 PM by Luluc »
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline jwyvern

Re: Some voices polyphonic only
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 09:10:21 PM »
The SA2 voices are not convertible to mono mode by pressing a button like the non SA2's are. They have a built in feature of applying a mono mode depending on how you play them. Take a  SA2 sax. Play one note and while still holding it play another close by. You hear only the second note in mono, the 2 notes do not sound together. (Release and reapply the the second note a few times, you will hear the pitch flipping in mono between the two.) So if you do not play a solo cleanly and scuff occasional notes by mistake it should automatically play as if mono had been turned on.
You can still play chords as long as all the notes are played simultaneously. The SA2 voices adjust the mode as needed.

John

Offline Luluc

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Thank you John !

You give me - and all the newbees here - a very clear explanation, and I understand better now how to use these SA2 voices.

It is a pity that what you explained is not documented in the Genos user manual !

Luluc
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Janus

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:41:51 PM »
Hi all genosphils,

On the Genos, some voices - which are by definition monophonic - are not avalaible in monophonic mode, why ?

Some examples of concerned voices : Flugelhorn, Trumpet, SoftTrumpet, Trombone, ... but the Cornet, the SilverTrumpet, the GoldenTrumpet can play in mono  AND poly modes.

The mono mode is very useful,when you a melody with a monophonic instrument - example the SoftTrumpet - That makes sure that the played notes won't overlap, so the performance is better.

Luluc,
I use the mono mode also for bass voices
When you play bass double notes are very disturbing
It keep the bass track clean